New ath m50s sound bad?
May 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Ric1live

New Head-Fier
I recently got my hands on some nee audio technical ath m50's and they sound absolutely nothing like what any reviews said. To me they sound kind of empty and lacking. I don't know if I got a defefective or fake or anything, but right now they just sound like "bleh". Do they need burn in or something? Or am I just not used to them (I switched to them from Koss portapro which I enjoy a lot)?

May 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 26
I remember listening to a pair and thinking the same thing. Have you listened to other headphones before?

*edit

My bad. But I remember the portas having a much better sound versus the M50's. When I put the M50's on I immediately thought it was very plastic and cold sounding.

May 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 26
  Is it possible that I received a defective set? Or are they a downgrade from the portapros?

I think your set is defective.  I purchased a used pair a few months ago from a seller on Amazon and had a similar experience.  It was if the midrange was totally missing.  I returned them as defective.  Got another set and all is good now. 

Can you return them?

May 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 26
I got a pair new from amazon.  They are pretty clear but sounded cold/empty/lacking/thin/bleh to me as well.  I thought they would improve being amped but sounded worse with schiit modi/magni to me.  Didn't have them long enough to see if I'd get used to the sound because they really hurt my ears to wear.

I replaced them with Grado SR225is, much happier with the sound.

May 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 26
I haven't heard the M50s in a long time, but I remember them exactly that way. Cold mid-range that isn't anything spectacular, punchy bass that sounded kind of shallow in the sub bass, and highs that were fairly bright and lacked detail. I thought they had decent imaging and soundstage for closed portable headphones though.

The reason they are so hyped is because nobody really hates them, they're a jack of all trades but a master of none. They don't do anything wrong and don't do anything spectacularly right either. It's an easy suggestion to beginners in the hobby. When I was new to audio I loved them. I'm not sure I would feel the same way now, as I have better equipment and would take them for granted.

May 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 26
I got an M50x a few weeks ago and I wasn't happy with them either. I wouldn't say they sounded empty, but It seemed like they had some strange buzzing or crackling distortion with drums and low frequencies. I don't know if they were defective or if they were just accentuating/revealing some detail of my music that I didn't like. I gave them a few days to burn in but it didn't change. I sent them back and bought a Grado SR125i instead, which I am much happier with.

Does anyone else with an M50x hear this? In the new Dream Theater album (HD Tracks version), the snare drum sounded really buzzy. I knows that's part of what snare drums sound like, but it was far less pleasant than in my Grados. And in The Eleventh Hour by Fates Warning there was a lot of crackling noise in the first minute of the song with the bass notes. I can hear it faintly in my Grados, but when I heard it in the M50x I thought something was wrong with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back