New AT&T Cell Phone - Any Suggestions?
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
Well, as most of you know, ATT bought at Cellular One. I have had Cell One for a year and loved the service. It was reasonably priced, and I never once went over the minutes. Now my phone is broken beyond repair, and ATT is trying to get me to switch over to them. The plan is going to be $10 more a month, and I have yet to find a good phone based on user reviews, but I hate relying on little teenage girls that post stuff like, "OMG!1!!!1 this is teh best phone i have ever had it has good features and my dad said it was hard to use but i love it!" So, if you guys could help me, I would appreciate it a lot.

The things that are important to me are: Reception, clarity of calls, etc., and battery life (I don't want to have to go back to the dorm between classes to charge it). I also text a little bit so I would like to have a good phone for that as well.

I have been looking at the Sony Ericsson W580i, Samsung A737, and LG Shine. All of them have above 4s in the battery life department, but like I said, they are skewed by people that don't really know what they are talking about.

I am sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate any help I get.

Thanks,
MMinutel

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 16
Haha, that's funny... My Cingular contract is going to expire soon, and I was looking at new phones. Those were the exact same phones I came across as well -- I like sliders. I couldn't narrow it down anymore than that. From what i read, people complained that the W580i felt kind of cheap. They also said that the A737 was a decent, simple phone. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing spectacular. As for the Shine, it's all about the form. It has nice features, but I hear the reception is less than awesome. Good luck deciding!

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 16
I like sony ericsson phones, so i'd go for that, LG phones are gimmicky in my opinion and all about style and suffer in all other categories.

I have a Nokia N82 and i really like it, but battery wise, it sucks. are you looking for any special features or just phone + text?

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 16
BTW, battery life on the A737 sucks and on the Shine is terrible. On my 737 I get like 3+ hrs talk time, compared to ~7+ on my L7..
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 16
iPhone on ATT. New 3G iPhone is out or coming out

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3G iPhone will be here in a little over a week. I love the original.

I also have the original although jailbroken and on the Tmobile service. I too love my original iPhone.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 16
I wouldn't mind having an iPhone, but as a college student, I don't think I can justify paying $90/month for my cellphone plan. I have to have texting. I can get internet, although not as conveniently, on my computer at the dorm.

What do you guys think about unlocked cellphones? I looked at the so-called "top cellphones" and the Rizr V3 was setting at the top of the list followed by the EnV.

The LG-Shine is almost completely off of my list. It looks really cool, but I have heard that it drops calls A LOT. Also, I read a review that said the A737 varies in volume during the calls. I have also heard that the Sony Ericsson has a horrible battery life.

-Edit-
Does anyone know of a good GSM phone that is similar to the EnV? It is a CDMA phone which would never work on ATT.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 16
see if you can get the blackberry pearl without the texting/data plan. a friend of mine was able to do that, as if it were any other free phone, and she loves the thing. i was looking at it, and it seems to have some pretty awesome reviews. version 2 just came out, and they made a couple of minor but good improvements.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 16
$90 contract? I'm on the cheapest AT&T contract which is $50 a month. I have never run out of free minutes (YMMV) and service has been good in LA. Also consider the new apps - there are tons of free ones and I use them regularly.

I decided to keep the original iPhone for another year, too. The 3G is nice, but I'll wait for next year's replacement. It should have a much improved processor and a 32GB model.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 16
When purchasing new non-iPhone plan remember that you can most likely ask for more... I currently have a normal contract but with extra free unlimited text messages with Fido in Montreal.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 16
my family just got new phones

i got the lg cu515. i love it. my old phone had a 30 hour battery life towards its third year of use. i think i've gone almost a week with an average use without recharging. the screen is pretty big and so are the buttons.

my only complaint is that the face of the phone is glossy plastic...so i have to be really careful and have nothing in that pocket.

oh, and i don't like slidey phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back