New asound.state for AV-710 under Linux
Feb 5, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 66
damn, I have spent some time on this without any luck.

I had two sound cards, and one of them was stuck as default so I suspected that and took the sound card out. Now system-config-soundcard wont even run
frown.gif
Cant install envy24control either, what to do?

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 66
No matter what I do, it keeps on telling me I have no sound card and wont even let me open the mixer. Strangely, system-config-soundcard DOES show VIA VT/1720/24 and lets me select that as the default audio card. What gives?

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #18 of 66
ftt: 0,1 is the optical output, IIRC. If you're trying to get Wolfson output, all you should need to do is use the asound.state in this thread then route the sound to the _default_ ALSA output, and it should work. Does for me, anyway (though I've moved to digital output now).

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 66
/usr/sbin/alsactl: load state:1236: No soundcards found...

thats all I get, cant even run the mixer.
AV-710 is there in the hardware browser though...

not sure about the driver/lib version, but they are from the FC4's auto update thingy. I did install 1.0.11rc2 version of alsa utils though (or at least tried to)
"stable" 1.0.10 wont install with error messages complaining about about a half dozen .ko files missing.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #20 of 66
module snd-ice1724 is loaded? Do you have two sound cards?

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
module snd-ice1724 is loaded? Do you have two sound cards?

I used to, another one being an ensoniq card. seeing how that card worked perfectly, and alsamixer would only change the volume for that card, I took it out to see hoping to solve the problem. Well, I guess the drivers are all messed up now
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 66
I started from ground zero, carefully following ALSA how-to. Now FC doesnt bitch about not finding the sound device, and I see Chaintech AV-710 in the alsa mixer
biggrin.gif

The only problem though, when I copy the asound.state file to /var/lib/alsa and run /usr/sbin/alsactl restore, I get a message :

No state is present for card AV710

Looks I like I have come pretty close, definitely a step into the right direction
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE : Had to tick the "Alternate Level to Surround Out" checkbox on, now I am getting some sound at last! Not sure if it was the same quality output I was getting in windows though... Can anyone confirm which output plug uses the wolfson DAC? Currently my speakers are hooked up to the one in the middle (not the one closes to the optical out)

On a related note, I am having a trouble getting windows shares mounted with fstab; codepage and iocharset options seem to get ignored for some reason. Funny how I can manual mount with mount command and codepage/iocharset option just fine, but it would be too tedious to repeat that with every boot tho.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #23 of 66
Guys,
Shouldnt these asound.state files work also for the revo 7.1?

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #24 of 66
miko: you copy it to /etc/ , not /var/lib/alsa/ . The high quality output is the one right next to the optical out.

randy: no. Same DSP but different DACs etc. It wouldn't make sense to use this config on a Revo 7.1, I'm not sure it'd even 'work'.

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #25 of 66
when I try to download the asound.state file I only get an html page. I tried to copy that to a .rtf to use, but I can't get it to copy over. any help would be great.
I'm on ubuntu 5.10

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 66
I think I've got it a right, though I'm not sure.
I ran alsactl restore and got the response: No state is present for card AV710
though I've got sound coming through!
but not on the hi-res output.

------edit------
I recopied the file using gedit and it worked!!!

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #27 of 66
I just got and AV710 and got it to work in ubuntu breezy with little trouble. Since I left my audigy card in for games I had to save my current state file, and replace av710.state w/ the new one provided on this thread (audigy.state is also in the file). So if anyone else is using multiple soundcard, both need to have states in the asound.state file.

After restoring alsactl:
You have to enable Alternate Level to Surround Out in alsamixer.
Then just unmute Headphone out and adjust volume here ... this controls the high quality out now, not master.

Sounds great, definite improvement over my first gen audigy. I started re-ripping my cd collection to .flac and I can definitely tell the difference between them and the my old .ogg 256kbps.

Thanks ADS for the updated asound.state file.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang
Hi guys,

would you mind heading over to my thread regarding flash sound? It'd be appreciated---thanks

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171932

I'll look into it when I get time, I don't even think I have flash installed. I'm still messing around with the settings, looks like only one sound at a time is allowed on the chaintech? No matter, since I got it only for headphone use. I think I'll hook-up my speakers to my audigy and switch outputs if I need to use speakers ... not exactly sure how to do this, but both cards are detected.

Apr 16, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #30 of 66
It's broken again.
Kamo-chan ~ # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.11rc5.
Compiled on Apr 13 2006 for kernel 2.6.16-gentoo-r1.
Kamo-chan etc # wget http://www.vandemar.org/asound.state
--04:24:04-- http://www.vandemar.org/asound.state
=> `asound.state.1'
Resolving www.vandemar.org... 67.175.180.16
Connecting to www.vandemar.org|67.175.180.16|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 11,201 (11K) [text/plain]

100%[================================================== =========================================>] 11,201 14.82K/s

04:24:06 (14.81 KB/s) - `asound.state.1' saved [11201/11201]

Kamo-chan etc # mv asound.state.1 asound.state
Kamo-chan etc # alsactl restore
alsactl: set_control:894: warning: name mismatch (Mic Boost (+20dB)/Mic Boost (+20dB) Capture Switch) for control #19
alsactl: set_control:896: warning: index mismatch (0/0) for control #19
alsactl: set_control:898: failed to obtain info for control #19 (Operation not permitted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back