New ASL MG Head OTL MKII Confusion
Apr 21, 2003 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AbqPete

New Head-Fier
Folks,

Just got my ASL MG Head OTL MKII. Now I am confused. The old version had two separate outputs; one marked HEADPHONE and the other marked OTL. You selected the output by flipping a switch and plugging in the phones to the corresponding jack.

The new version still has two separate outputs but they are only marked OUTPUT.

1. Does this mean that one can use either output jack and that the switch is all that is needed to select the output type (OTL versus transformer)?

2. Does this mean you can run two sets of headphones at the same time?

The build quality is not so great. I wasn't expecting it to be though. Several of the screws are already stripped and many aren't tightened. There are wrench marks on the jacks as well.

That said, the sound is quite good (rolling tubes right now).
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards, Peter

Apr 21, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 12
Thank you, oh brave one. Doesn't the MKII also have a 4-pin XLR output for the AKG K1000 headphone cable?

Looking forward to impressions, and tuberolling results. Can you talk a bit more about the build quality (or lack thereof) too?

Apr 21, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 12
the mg heads will not come close to driving the k1000's. their output is about 110mA... something like that... and that's 1/10th the specified max by akg. joe lau said that the mk i and mk ii have same internal construction and components, besides the movement of the power supply. .....but i guess there's some operational differences too, obviously. but performance should be identical, given your mk i was without hum.

anyway.... i've tried the k1000 with my mg head, and it doesn't get much louder beyond a whisper before there the amp turns into a guitar distortion amp.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Thank you, oh brave one. Doesn't the MKII also have a 4-pin XLR output for the AKG K1000 headphone cable?

Looking forward to impressions, and tuberolling results. Can you talk a bit more about the build quality (or lack thereof) too?

1. Nope. Just the standard 1/4" jack(s).
2. I've got the following tubes:

Stock JJ ECC83S
Mullard CV4004 12AX7 Great Britain
Westinghouse/Raytheon 5751 Black Plate
Stock Sovtek 6BQ5/EL84
Ei Yugo 6BQ5/EL84 (matched pair)

As to the build quality, I am not referring to the parts as they seem fine. It's the attention to assembly which is at issue. I can see that the company is saving money by using not-so-skilled labor in the far east. Sorry for the harsh words but I guess I am finicky and used to a little better. Also, the fact that the unit was not as pristine as I would like (fingerprints everywhere and some patches of sticky stuff) weighs in here.

However, with the right tubes, the sound is quite pleasant. I shouldn't really compare at this point as the system is less than a week old (everything, see signature) and still burning in. I'll give it another week before I pass judgement.

Regards, Peter

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 12
I think the switch governs both jacks so if you put the switch on OTL, both jacks will be in OTL mode and vice versa for Trans.

The MG Head Mk II definitely won't drive K 1000s to a decent listening level with reasonable headroom. Lots of people in the forums have made 4 pin XLR --> 1/4 jack cables and tried it with the MG Head OTL/non-OTL with not much success.

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Sorry. Thought you were referring to the new OTL32. I guess that I was the one that was confused
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes ! Both Jack can use OTL or Transfomer output mode. You only need change between OTL & Transformers mode by a switch.

Build quality ! It is hard to train up a workers to work perfect ! It need more than 3 months to 6 months become a Skillful worker !

We are try to improve it ! Many thanks for your comment.

Sure ! It can't drive AKG1000 ! It is only minor upgrade in power supply , additional a Power polarity switch. Reconfiguate OTL/Transformers mode selectable by switch.

Apr 21, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 12
John,

Thanks for the clarification. The last question is: Can both jacks be used at the same time? In other words, can I run two headphones simultaneously?

Thanks and regards, Peter

p.s. I wish your company every success!

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Theoretically you can, but it's the same deal as running a splitter. You'll be sharing the power output between two jacks. If you give each jack a different load it might not perform too well either (but shouldn't damage the amp.)

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 12
Two Jacks? Mine only has one headphone jack. So far it is a great amp for the HD 600s and the jury is still out on how well it is with the R 10s. I have not tried tuberolling yet though. Hopefully, I can get some other peoples impressions as I will be bringing it to the Chicago meet.

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 12
This is the new version of the MG Head DT/OTL. It is now known as (at least on the one I got) the MG Head OTL MkII. I am not usre if you have the same model...

Regards, Peter

Apr 22, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Two Jacks? Mine only has one headphone jack. So far it is a great amp for the HD 600s and the jury is still out on how well it is with the R 10s. I have not tried tuberolling yet though. Hopefully, I can get some other peoples impressions as I will be bringing it to the Chicago meet.

Oops, I'm talking about the wrong amp. I have the Twin Head, not the MG Head. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back