New Apple M1 Macbook Air, M1 Macbook Pro, and M1 Mac Mini - Audio
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 48
Thank you @hmscott for providing all of this great information. My seven year old MacBook Pro 15” still takes care of my modest needs but I‘m reaching the point of what’s next just in case!
I don't think we'll have to wait too long to hear the next Mac Silicon product release announcement(s) :)

But, unless you have professional needs for memory over 16GB the current M1 products are nicely priced and perform well beyond their price points.

I was happy to hear the M1 Mac's have a full Thunderbolt controller of performance for each port and if needed we can expand the Thunderbolt ports downstream on our hubs.

The small screen is very nice to use, I was thinking I'd prefer a 16" Macbook Pro, but given the weight density vs size increase I think the 16" would be too unwieldy to run around the house.

When I am connected to the dock at my desk the external screen is the only one I am planning on using - keeping the lid closed on the Macbook Pro in a vertical dock, so the small size is great there too.

The Macbook Air / Macbook Pro 13" might be a nice upgrade for you too? :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 48
I don't think we'll have to wait too long to hear the next Mac Silicon product release announcement(s) :)

But, unless you have professional needs for memory over 16GB the current M1 products are nicely priced and perform well beyond their price points.

I was happy to hear the M1 Mac's have a full Thunderbolt controller of performance for each port and if needed we can expand the Thunderbolt ports downstream on our hubs,.

The small screen is very nice to use, I was thinking I'd prefer a 16" Macbook Pro, but given the weight density vs size increase I think the 16" would be too unwieldy to run around the house. When I am connected to the dock at my desk the external screen is the only one I am planning on using - keeping the lid closed on the Macbook Pro in a vertical dock, so the small size is great there too.

The Macbook Air / Macbook Pro 13" might be a nice upgrade for you too? :)
That’s the direction I was thinking of. I like buying more than I need just to have the ability to “do more” but in reality I’m down to photo management, device backup and music management (currently using Audirvana). Honestly, I could get away with IPads and a cloud account but I like having some control and keeping up with tech in general. I’m retired but was an Information tech liaison for my program area when I worked. Tech is overwhelming our lives and I don’t want to be left behind.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 48
That’s the direction I was thinking of. I like buying more than I need just to have the ability to “do more” but in reality I’m down to photo management, device backup and music management (currently using Audirvana). Honestly, I could get away with IPads and a cloud account but I like having some control and keeping up with tech in general. I’m retired but was an Information tech liaison for my program area when I worked. Tech is overwhelming our lives and I don’t want to be left behind.
The 2TB storage in the Macbook Pro M1 using the Blackmagic disk speed test shows ~3150 Write and ~2850 Read now - up from initial test runs, and the 6-port hub + Sony 128GB 300MB/sec SD card gets about 250MB/250MB.

I haven't connected my Sony UHS-II reader yet for comparison. The Hyperdrive 16-port Thunderbolt hub has it's own UHS-II SD reader.

I'll post performance screen shots later, those results are from memory. Plenty of IO performance for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try out Audirvana :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 48
The 2TB storage in the Macbook Pro M1 using the Blackmagic disk speed test shows ~3150 Write and ~2850 Read now - up from initial test runs, and the 6-port hub + Sony 128GB 300MB/sec SD card gets about 250MB/250MB.

I haven't connected my Sony UHS-II reader yet for comparison. The Hyperdrive 16-port Thunderbolt hub has it's own UHS-II SD reader.

I'll post performance screen shots later, those results are from memory. Plenty of IO performance for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try out Audirvana :)
Audirvana has a 30 day free trial and there is also a remote which you can download to an iPhone/iPad or android device to control music. Very spiffy actually.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 48
I have both the MBA M1 and MBP M1 with me.
Can't really tell the difference in performance for regular usage.

I'll probably return the MBP to save some $$ and get a newer MBP once they have either the 14" or 16".

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 48
Heads up about Fedex delivery dates. For the most part Fedex makes all delivery estimates, in fact they've been several days early from all foreign shipments. But, there's one scenerio that keeps repeating, I get a delivery estimate - like Today for the 16-port Hub - and on the day of the delivery I can see the package is "many miles away" because Fedex put it on the wrong truck and now the package has come close to me - like 15 miles away - and is now hundreds of miles away, with "no estimate" available as to delivery.

I'm not sure what is happening, it's happened with overseas deliveries and local ones - the hub comes from a company about 25 miles away, and moved 10 miles and then went the opposite direction instead of getting delivered. :)

For more shipping fun, check out the thread on M1 delivery tracking on Macrumors:

Apple Silicon MacBook Air/Pro Mac mini Order Status Thread | MacRumors Forums

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 48
Heads up about Fedex delivery dates. For the most part Fedex makes all delivery estimates, in fact they've been several days early from all foreign shipments. But, there's one scenerio that keeps repeating, I get a delivery estimate - like Today for the 16-port Hub - and on the day of the delivery I can see the package is "many miles away" because Fedex put it on the wrong truck and now the package has come close to me - like 15 miles away - and is now hundreds of miles away, with "no estimate" available as to delivery.

I'm not sure what is happening, it's happened with overseas deliveries and local ones - the hub comes from a company about 25 miles away, and moved 10 miles and then went the opposite direction instead of getting delivered. :)

For more shipping fun, check out the thread on M1 delivery tracking on Macrumors:

Apple Silicon MacBook Air/Pro Mac mini Order Status Thread | MacRumors Forums
I could start a whole new thread about my misadventures with FedEx. I’m very reluctant to use them lately.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 48
I could start a whole new thread about my misadventures with FedEx. I’m very reluctant to use them lately.
Yup, well, they have all had their own troubles, UPS / DHL / USPS too.

My latest Fedex package - the Hyperdrive 16-port dock - is stuck in Tracy going on 3 days... how is it "In Transit" while sitting still in the same facility? :)
  • Thursday , 12/10/2020 4:37 am TRACY, CA. Arrived at FedEx location
  • 12:18 am TRACY, CA In transit
  • Wednesday , 12/09/2020 12:17 pm TRACY, CA In transit
  • Tuesday , 12/08/2020 11:20 pm NEWARK, CA

Newark is very close to me, what's it doing in Tracy? :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 48
Great news the Hyperdrive 16-port Thunderbolt 3 dock found it's way to me, and I've got it set up, and wow, it's great :)

The Hyperdrive 16-port Thunderbolt Hub is even more awesome than the Hyperdrive 6-port USB-C Hub. I thought the 6-port was a heavy solid ingot of metal, this 16-port is just as dense and solid, but scaled up 4x+ larger to fit all 16-ports.

The 16-port dock Ethernet connected to Gigabit Internet is providing 919.42 Mbps Download and 40.72 Mbps Upload, first test.

I'm getting a lot of internet performance variance at home ever since everyone else started working from home. Normally at best I get 940/42, so I tested again just now: DOWNLOAD Mbps 938.61 UPLOAD Mbps 41.51. So I think the Thunderbolt 16 port dock Ethernet port is getting full performance from my internet connection - as bandwidth is available.

Comcast upgraded the router a couple of days ago because the router had a frozen configuration - Comcast couldn't change Wifi settings remotely, and it was locked from making changes for me too - which is why I called Comcast. Comcast couldn't fix the router remotely even with a firmware reload and reset, so now I have a new router.

The Biggest upgrade that came with the new router was 802.11ax, I'm now getting 776/40 on my phone Wifi, but the best the M1 Macbook Pro Wifi can do is: DOWNLOAD Mbps 651.46 UPLOAD Mbps 41.79, which is a bit low...perhaps it is time for my first M1 bug report? :)

The 16-port dock / Macbook Pro M1 / DisplayPort provides HDR - as does my monitor, but I'm not impressed with the visuals so I disabled HDR.

The 16-port dock DisplayPort connected at 144hz 1920x1080 the image is even nicer than the HDMI output from the 6-port - which in turn is nicer than the visual quality of the 2070 Super in my Ryzen 3700x PC.

Wifi internet browsing on the Macbook Pro M1 is fast - but the Ethernet browsing responsiveness is much snappier and page redraws now outpace my Windows PC by far.

I'm really liking the day to day usage under MacOS Big Sur 11.01 - so far - yeah it's only been a few days so far, but performance is not in any way disappointing compared to Windows responsiveness on the 3700x/2070S

I've played some Steam games, Borderlands 2, and I completed the Fenyx Demo on Stadia, and I am downloading more "Macintosh compatible" Steam games, a lot of my game library is playable on MacOS.

The real surprise is the 3.5mm audio port on the 16-port Hub as it is pumping out a lot more power than the Macbook Pro M1 3.5mm and the USB-C 6-port dock 3.5mm ports. Plenty of volume range to play with.

I haven't hooked up the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic headphone yet, but the DT770 16 ohm is rocking with only 50% volume vs 75% with the 6-port, which was also more than enough. The sound is a solid wide sound stage and plenty of dynamic range. I could live with this sound as is, it is that good.

I need to rearrange my setup and get right sized cables to finish the set up, as I'm now using DisplayPort instead of HDMI as I had planned. I still want to test the 2m USB-C to HDMI connected to the 16-port, later...

For now I am enjoying this weeks Mandalorian as I am typing this. I need to get offline, rewind, and chill for a while. Later! :)

Update: The Amphetamine app started doing it's thing, and the Macbook Pro M1 is currently running while closed in the vertical dock, connected up to an external 1920x1080 144hz display.

I'm using the HyperDrive 6-port dock 3.5mm audio port and it is sounding quite nice on the Beyerdynamic DT770 16 ohm - requiring less drive than the 600 ohm models - I don't need to set the output to 100% on the Macbook.

Right now I'm running without Boom 3D - it got a bit tiring on the ears - probably the Bass Boost's effect, while exciting it's a bit wearing after a while.

All of the audio ports on both the 6-port and 16-port docks provide 24bit / 96khz quality audio. I wish it was a bit higher - I was expecting 24bit / 192khz, so I'll probably be looking to use a USB DAC later to see how the audio improves.

Right now I have a lot of software set up and configuration still to do, bringing my configurations from the PC and legacy Mac Apple Store installs.

Update: I finally installed Tidal and Amazon Music HD apps, and the sound coming out of the 3.5mm audio port on the 16-port dock is surprisingly awesome. The sub-bass reaches levels of authority I'm not used to even on my Topping A90 with these 600 ohm headphones. The audio circuitry on those 3.5mm ports are a cut above, so much so I could live with it as is, if only it fully unfolded MQA... so I'm going to need to connect up the A90 / D90 MQA soon - need to find that Toslink cable...more here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ama...-with-lossless-streaming.905493/post-16033514

Update: I'm going to try the Jenving HDMI cables which are able to drive signals passively for much longer distances, perhaps the 2m version of those will work with the Macbook Pro M1? Same goes for a Jenving DisplayPort 2m. I'm also getting another longer Jenving Supra USB 2.0 cable to reach between the Macbook Pro M1 Hyperdrive 16-port Hub and the Topping D90 MQA. I might as well get the Toslink and Coax cable from them too.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 48
I'm still waiting for the cables... most of the rest of the equipment is here.

We are locked down here in the Bay Area, I might still be able to get a cheap cable from a local dealer to tide me over till the middle of January when I can get the cables needed.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back