New Apple M1 Macbook Air, M1 Macbook Pro, and M1 Mac Mini - Audio
Jul 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #46 of 48
Using an M1 Mac mini as a music server, replacing a 2010 model. Even stock - using iTunes though a Aurrender spdif converter to a Naim dac - the M1sounds audibly better than the old one running Audirvana.
I agree, M1 sounds more spacious and with better separation of instruments than mini 2018.
I am using Amarra Luxe.
M1 took the place of the server, instead of mini 2018.

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #47 of 48
Recently got a MacBook Air M1. What are everyone's thoughts on the 3.5mm audio port? Can't find any information on the internal DAC. Is it worth getting an external DAC?
The power output seems a bit weak to me on my 2020 MacBook Air M1. I’m trying to run a 48 ohm Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X headset (based on ATH-AD900 supposedly) and the SQ sounds a bit hollow. I remember my old 2011 MBP powering my ATH-AD1000 fine. I have to drag out my old 2016 MBP and try it with that.

I’ve got a set of 32 ohm Phillips SHP9500 with a V-Moda boom mike on the way. Hopefully that will sound better. I’ll be grabbing a Burson Playmate 2 USB C DAC/headphone amp when I can afford it. It has a 3.5mm TRRS headset output.

What an incredible machine otherwise. Battery life is amazing.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #48 of 48
I just got a base model M1 Air a couple weeks ago, my first MacOS computer. The headphone jack sounds great with both my AKG K371 and my Focal Elear with Clear pads. The K371 needs no more than 30% volume, and the Focal Elear with Clear pads is good at 50% or less. Everything sound clean and clear and doesn't seem to lack dynamics or anything. I see no reason to plug a USB DAC or headphone amp into it. I have done some quick A/B testing but without volume matching or being too scientific and I don't notice the laptop sounding bad at all in comparison to my budget DACs/amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back