New Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ($39) - an official answer for USB DAC and iPad??
Feb 23, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #91 of 105
Lots of people have experimented in the past but if you're using an iphone and not android phone, it's my understanding that the Camera adapter is pretty your only option.   

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #92 of 105
Lots of people have experimented in the past but if you're using an iphone and not android phone, it's my understanding that the Camera adapter is pretty your only option.   

Not sure if this was directed at me?
I was curious on size of the adapter vs smaller USB lightning adapter and how rigid the cord is?

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #94 of 105
There is FW update available now for the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.  I just plugged mine in and my iPhone asked me if I wanted to update my unit. FW went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.5 in the Settings->General->About->Apple USB Camera Adapter screen.  My Schitt Magni & Modi worked with the old FW but curious if the new FW will work on other Schiit units or other DACs that people have reported problems on.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #95 of 105
There is FW update available now for the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.  I just plugged mine in and my iPhone asked me if I wanted to update my unit. FW went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.5 in the Settings->General->About->Apple USB Camera Adapter screen.  My Schitt Magni & Modi worked with the old FW but curious if the new FW will work on other Schiit units or other DACs that people have reported problems on.  

I was prompted for the update last night but I did not update yet... I'm still on iOS 9.3.3 using a HiFimeDIY 9018 USB DAC and was reluctant to update on the off chance that the newer update would "break" something as at the moment, everything is working perfect.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #96 of 105
Hello All, 

Days ago, I asked help with the following combo:

iPod Touch + CCK 3 + HiFiMan Dock1 DAC, I found in the hard way that this combo did not work, I tried everything I could. 

However, 

With the same iPod Touch 6G MKWW2LL/A running 10.2.1, and without updating the "Accessory Update Available Message", I can confirm that:

- iPod Touch ---> CCK 3 ---> Gungnir MB ----> worked with and without the power in the CCK3.
- iPod Touch ---> CCK 3 ---> Jotunheim with DAC ----> worked with and without the power in the CCK3.

While reconnecting the CCK 3 it prompt the Accessory Update Available message, so I finally applied this update - as mentioned earlier by RicardoD, this is just a FW update - and everything worked OK as well, no issues at all. 

Then I noticed I have an update for the iPod T from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 (BTW it took a long time for the update), I applied this iOS update too and everything worked OK as well again, with and without power in the CCK 3 in both devices.

Best Regards!!

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #97 of 105
I finally purchased the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter tonight and hooked my iPad Air 2 up to my bifrost/asgard2 and haven't had any connection issues the problem I am having is the volume pot on my amp needs to be turned up to almost 1 o'clock to get the same volume as my normal set up using a windows 7 pc from a USB 2.0 output would get at 11 o'clock and the sound quality still isn't as dynamic even when volume matched. I guess my question is does my iPad either through hardware or software not able to give as clean/clear a sound as my pc or is it the cck that degrades the sound.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #98 of 105
I finally purchased the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter tonight and hooked my iPad Air 2 up to my bifrost/asgard2 and haven't had any connection issues the problem I am having is the volume pot on my amp needs to be turned up to almost 1 o'clock to get the same volume as my normal set up using a windows 7 pc from a USB 2.0 output would get at 11 o'clock and the sound quality still isn't as dynamic even when volume matched. I guess my question is does my iPad either through hardware or software not able to give as clean/clear a sound as my pc or is it the cck that degrades the sound.
Check the volume on your iPad. Even though it is a digital signal out, the iPad still has an effect on the volume. Turn it all the way up and adjust the volume on your external amp.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #99 of 105
I've got my Mojo and the Chord's case today. Super enthusiastic by the quality of sound, I am using it with a pair of (wired) B&W P5 and alternatively Audiotechnica ATH-M50.
I am keeping my DSD files stored on an iPhone 6S Plus running Kaisertone, connected to Mojo via Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 adapter: https://www.conrad.se/?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=1431336.
I don't experience the same interruptions as people are complaining about while using iOS 10.3.2. Did I've missed anything?

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #101 of 105
I also noticed iPhone audio (through USB) is not as sweet as audio from PC. In using iPhone X ios 13, dragonfly black, FiiO Q1 MKII, odac revB. All sound good on PC but on iPhone the sound is degraded(sounds a little harsh and not as spacious). Did you find why? Or how to rectify it?

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #102 of 105
I have to switch from my streaming TIDAL/LG v40/Gumby to an iPhone 13 mini - for several reasons.

Will iPhone 13 give me 24/192 if I use an OTG data cable from lightning to USB-B?

It seems like there are a couple of USB 3 cables available and they are supposed to be compatable with USB 2. But does that mean USB 2 to USB 2 using a USB 3 cable only?

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #103 of 105
I can’t swear that the iPhone 13’s lightning works the same as lightning on models past, but historically the CCK lightning to USB adapter was the only way to get 24/192 audio playback from an iphone. I don’t know why the limitation. I use a lightning to usb cable to connect my iPhone 11 to car headunit, which is 24/192 capable, and my 24/192 music plays at 16/48.

Assuming you buy the CCK adapter to “unlock” your USB, the other thing you need is a music playback app that is 24/192 compatible. I have had success with HF Player, by Onkyo. This app also lets you know when your music is being downsampled.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #104 of 105
I can’t swear that the iPhone 13’s lightning works the same as lightning on models past, but historically the CCK lightning to USB adapter was the only way to get 24/192 audio playback from an iphone. I don’t know why the limitation. I use a lightning to usb cable to connect my iPhone 11 to car headunit, which is 24/192 capable, and my 24/192 music plays at 16/48.

Assuming you buy the CCK adapter to “unlock” your USB, the other thing you need is a music playback app that is 24/192 compatible. I have had success with HF Player, by Onkyo. This app also lets you know when your music is being downsampled.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #105 of 105
Guys which is the better option for connecting my iPad 9th gen to Spring 3 DAC, the original Apple Camera Adapter (USB2) or the new USB3 adapter, I read that the USB2 adapter doesn't work with some DAC's maybe those are dongle DAC's which require power from USB to function, but my Spring 3 doesn't require external power so does it still make sense to get the USB3.

Also is there any sound quality difference between the USB2 vs USB3 adapters, I also own a USB-C adapter from DDHifi which support external charger but the sound is very bad, it is so noisy it is unlistenable because of the noise introduced by the charger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back