new apple ipod boombox
Mar 1, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #47 of 57
OK. Fair enough. Just send me a Hornet when you make that first $million$. I don't need much.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #48 of 57
Ok, none of us have heard the damn thing, but if you look at what you can see from the design, it is clearly superior to the best of the rest, the Bose SoundDock. Apple also bother to post reasonable frequency response specs (+/- 3db 53-16k - yes, some genuine specs, note that our beloved friends Bose don't post any specs at all). It's also $50 more than the Bose wonder for something that if it's sound lives up to the way it looks like it could sound, will be huge order of magnitue better. I agree that it might be possible to put together a better sounding system for that money, but this is a one box, luggable, power supply flexible system with a little dock on the top which makes it incredibly convenient in many uses, particuarly as a bedroom system or whatever else one might want that for.

Am I the only one who thinks that it looks like an at least reasonably serious attempt at audio reproduction with an iPod flavour?

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
[sarcasm]Wow! 2 3" tweeters and a 5" shared "woofer". That thing must Rock!.[/sarcasm]

You could buy a Dock connector and a stereo shelf system with real stereo (two seperate speakers) for the same price at Best Buy.

In fact you could buy TEN Marantz 2226 vintage receivers for that money.
eek.gif
Honestly, you could build a way decent vintage rig for that chickenscratch, and just carry the iPod solo when going portable. It's not like you're lugging that thing around to block parties, right?

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks like an at least reasonably serious attempt at audio reproduction with an iPod flavour?

No you're not. It is just that new Apple products tend to attract the hisses of those who a) find themselves not in the target group and b) have little idea about said fact.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #51 of 57
Sure you could put together a better system for the price of the iPod Hi-Fi, but that's like when nerds claim they can build a faster and cheaper system every time a company comes out with a new computer. Obviously you can do it more cheaply, but Apple offers a product that consumers can just purchase and use. Personally I like the idea and it could be a good product as long as it sounds good. I mean, there are tons of people who spent $300-400 on those ridiculous Bose Wave Radios. Also, someone commented that it would sound bad because it has 3" speakers and a 5" woofer. That's not a way to judge a system's overall quality... Look at Tivoli Audio. Their radios use 2 1/2" full-range speakers and still sound excellent. It's not the size you have, but what you do with it.

My only reservation at this time is the mounting of the iPod--I think it looks stupid, and if you were carrying the Hi-Fi around you'd have to detach your iPod unless you want it to fall off and get trampled. There should be a mount in the front for it. Anyone agree?

And the case? What a joke. Now THAT makes me respect Apple less. The socks were a cool, novel idea and were expensive but not exhorbitant. A $100 leather slipcase? No.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #52 of 57
Obviously I'm not the target market (despite owning several Apple products), but even if I were, I'd pay $20 more and get the Klipsch iFi, with real bass and stereo seperation. Sure its not portable, but guess what? You've already got an iPod!.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #53 of 57
Sometimes, Apple just dont make complete sense. Why do they sell 128kb audio from the music store, then release something targeted as a "Audiophile Device". Like, ok, if they sold lossless through the music store like they should, then i you could see them being more devoted to high end audio. Because the ipod's do have good line outs. But its already being reported, how this shows flaws in the music downloaded from the music store.

Plus $99 US for a simple leather case. Its 1/3 of the price of the 30gb ipod....

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
In fact you could buy TEN Marantz 2226 vintage receivers for that money.
eek.gif
Honestly, you could build a way decent vintage rig for that chickenscratch, and just carry the iPod solo when going portable. It's not like you're lugging that thing around to block parties, right?

I'm thinking an updated version of Radio Raheem for when i get mine

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan
Sometimes, Apple just dont make complete sense. Why do they sell 128kb audio from the music store, then release something targeted as a "Audiophile Device".

Because Apple would have you believe 128kbps AAC is also audiophile quality.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
actually i miss that ribbon. they used to be in all my late 70s mattel football and baseball handheld games and made it super easy to pop a 9V out. but these days no remote or mouse has a ribbon and it's horrible getting batteries out! 3 cheers for Apple using reverse technology!

biggrin.gif
Thats good stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back