new apple ipod boombox
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
ooks like there's an ipod boombox device that's supposedly directed toward "audiophiles"...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 57
Apple unveiled the "home stereo quality" iPod Hi-Fi, which Jobs said is of higher quality than the speakers available today. The large speaker system comes with an iPod dock built-in, as well as an auxiliary port to connect an iPod Shuffle or other device.

"It's really a home stereo reinvented," Jobs said. "It's home stereo reinvented for the iPod age."

The iPod Hi-Fi will sell for $349 and goes on sale today. The device can plug directly into the wall or run with six "D" batteries.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Special mention to Apple for having the audacity charging $99 for a $2 leather case with an Apple stamp on it. It doesn't even have a top cover....surely another $1 wouldn't be too much?

R-e-s-p-e-c-t Mr Jobs. Thats capitalism for you

I've heard that, in addition to the purdy Apple logo on the front, the back is inscribed with the word "Sucker!"

The announcement of the leather case has actually made me feel slight disdain for my 5g. I hope the price was a typo and that it's supposed to be $9.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 57
"Removing your iPod is a breeze, thanks to an ingenious black ribbon built into the case. Just give it a gentle tug and your iPod slides out gracefully, just enough for you to view the screen or pull it out completely."

Hell, why didn't those 1,000 3rd party case-making companies think of such a fantastic feature? A BLACK RIBBON! I was already about to pay $99 for the case the way it was, but that black ribbon easily doubles it's worth. It's the same simplicity in design that keeps Apple at the top of the pile in the DAP market!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 57
actually i miss that ribbon. they used to be in all my late 70s mattel football and baseball handheld games and made it super easy to pop a 9V out. but these days no remote or mouse has a ribbon and it's horrible getting batteries out! 3 cheers for Apple using reverse technology!

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbnh
Must be audiophile, such a quality new speaker paired with that great IPOD headphone out...LOL

It uses the dock connector, bypasses the headphone out.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 57
I'm unimpressed with how the ipod boombox looks, but i will reserve judgement until i hear it.

A nice easy operating self contained system that has decent sound would be great for a spare bedroom or out on the patio in the summertime.

I dont know if you guys realize how well those speaker systems sell. The best buy near me sells about 30-50 a week, mostly to women.

We tend to forget that we are very much in the minority in terms of the value we place on high quality sound. Others value looks, convenience and ease of use at least as much.

The leather case is a bit "back to the future" it looks like a glammed up version of the case that came with the original ipod (which also had the apple tag which scratched the hell out of the back)

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 57
Does it come in all BLACK??

On another note, the pod looks silly on top and not much synergy with pod connected, maybe the intent or market leans more to connection to a MAC or MacBook with it's optical input.

If I wanted or needed a pod boombox, I like the design and sound of the iM7 inmotion, sounds good, looks great, can come with a carry case.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 57
The configuration of the amp pretty much explains what I'd been wondering all along when I found a Wolfson codec in the Universal Dock. The 5G/Nano is capable of outputting a (non-SPDIF) digital signal.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 57
I can see where that stripped boombox would sell but I am suprised at the lack of style.

The name is hilarious, but I guess it is likely "audiophile" compared to the other dock speaker stereo things out there.

The case? maybe maybe they could get by pushing their luck with that type of price if it was made of arctic fox nose skins and had the power to heal scratches, plus had a flip cover with control and display access.

$99 for a slip case? Apple has gone bonkers.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 57
I love the look of the new boombox. It's subdued and stylish -- the exact opposite of all those boomboxes you see at the big box stores with molded plastic front baffles, shiny cones, and flashy, bright LEDs. Not a single LED! You could put this in your office and not feel embarassed by it when clients come in, especially when the iPod is not in place.

I like the wake-up alarm and the digital input, but I dislike the lack of an FM radio, especially since you can't use the iPod FM radio attachment with it unless you're willing to lose the ability to place your iPod on the top of the "HiFi". The FM radio attachment should be built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back