New Apple "EarPods" - Finally - Photos
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 33
Sep 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 33
Looking forward to hearing them. The last design didn't sound that bad with a correct seal... though a "correct seal" required a lot more effort than I thought necessary.

Wouldn't doubt that they sound better than most $150 and lower headphones. I have seen and heard some pretty horrible $150 and lower headphones lately. Heck, I have heard headphones up to $400 that sound horrible.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 33
i hate beats and apple for their marketing and over the roof prices

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #22 of 33
The difference between Beats and Apple is that Apple actually provides nice products.  I love my experience with OSX and iOS.

Sounding better than headphones that cost 100s of dollars or more sound perfectly reasonable.  There's plenty of exaggerated colored headphones out there that cost hundreds and don't sound very good at all, and depending on a person's preference in sound signature, they'd take the flatter sounding earpods over those (if they are flat).  The older iBuds were pretty flat except for their bass rolloff.  I quite liked them over a pair of 100 dollar retail skullcandy buds I picked up off amazon for 20.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
Sounding better than headphones that cost 100s of dollars or more sound perfectly reasonable.  There's plenty of exaggerated colored headphones out there that cost hundreds and don't sound very good at all, and depending on a person's preference in sound signature, they'd take the flatter sounding earpods over those (if they are flat).  The older iBuds were pretty flat except for their bass rolloff.  I quite liked them over a pair of 100 dollar retail skullcandy buds I picked up off amazon for 20.

That's why the statement means nothing. It's put as a subjective opinion of an unknown person. They never say the Pods measure better than model X, only that some vague entity finds their sound to be along the lines of possibly the worst of celebrity-endorsed headphones.

In fact, the entire overview section on that product page is nothing but bits of meaningless concepts. What exactly is 'sound loss'? To say that 'circular' earbuds aren't designed for the geometry of the ear is odd. There's also no source for the claim that the Pods are 'more comfortable for more people' than some other headphones - and there should be, since the shape of the ear is different from one person to another. And claiming that the sound quality is 'just as impressive as what you’d hear from more expensive headphones' is nothing more than saying 'for cheap earbuds by Apple, they're impressive'.

It's also notable that the two very best things ("highlights") Apple could say about the Pods are: (1) designed by Apple, and (2) more bass. Though even that second highlight is only in comparison to a vague notion that exists in the reader's mind and nowhere else.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

That's why the statement means nothing. It's put as a subjective opinion of an unknown person. They never say the Pods measure better than model X

In the very same sense, one could say half the stuff being thrown around in head-fi are subjective statements and mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Often times people like headphones over others on here based off sound signature alone, even if a certain headphone has more technicalities than others.  There'll always be a purely subjective vs purely objective or subjective with objective twist clash on head-fi.  The 1440/1880 and D4/6/7100 threads are great examples, though a lot of the good stuff in the Denon thread has been sadly trashed by the admins here.

As for fitting better in the ears, I wouldn't doubt it were true to some extent.  I don't doubt apple's R&D, they're certainly sitting on enough money to pull it off.  I also don't think any earphone or headphone comes worse fitting than the original apple buds.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
for pure sound, i actualy prefere how the apple earbuds sound over beats solos

means you are gonna like the M50 then 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back