New Apple earphones - who's tried'em?
Jan 8, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 61
From the looks of it, they don't look like "balanced armature drivers" that the Ety and Shure uses on their higher-end canalphones. Shure uses a dynamic driver for the E2's, but they put it in a housing to reflect sound and produce different frequencies and bass. I don't know what the ER-6 uses.

I think the Sony EX71 is just a dynamic driver that's tunneled into your ear with the tips... and looks like the new Apple "canalbuds" are pretty much the same thing, just a dynamic driver with casing that goes into your ear.

Jan 11, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #32 of 61
I got mine Friday. The packaging and storage case are really nice for earbuds. The plastic storage case is going to fit nicely into my Waterfield iPod pouch. The outside packaging declares that these are assembled in China.

http://www.sfbags.com/

I like Apple's "In-Ear Headphone" storage case because it keeps the earbud cords from tangling. You wrap the cord around a huge outside groove in the case, and the headphones go into the center of the case. The case has a hard, clear plastic cover. The bottom of the case has a Apple Logo. So Apple cult freaks, like me, have another collectible
wink.gif

Sound? Well it certainly gives more bass than the regular Apple iPod earbuds. It also gives a little better isolation from environmental sound. Not as good as Ety's of course, and the sound isn't as good a my Ety's, but my Ety's really require a portable amp to really sound good.

But, I bought them for times when I'm in a waiting room or airport lounge. In those situations I'm looking for some environmental sound isolation. I don't want total isolation in those situations. I also want to quickly pull them out to hear an announcement or converse with someone. Ety owners will know what I'm talking about. Inserting Ety's and pulling them out every ten minutes just isn't a sensation that you want 25 times a day. Well maybe some of you do, but please don't share. Need I mention the unintentional display of earwax the Ety's somtimes give?
wink.gif

I think the cord might be shorter than the original Apple earbuds. This is welcome if you are going to use Apple's in-line remote. I hate long cords on headphones designed for mobile use. You'd think they want you to be able to leave your iPod in your in-flight seat as you stroll, listening to music, to the back of the plane to use the restroom. The 'Y" section of the cord also has a little slider that reminds me of those string ties of yore. Mostly I think this comes in handy for storage, as you can zip the "Y" cords together.

So, this new headphone is not going to shake up the world. But for the price ( I got an educational discount that knocked of a few bucks), and the utility of the case, and as well as the easy in-and-out of your ear I give them a thumbs up.

In my opinion they are better than the Sony's of similar design I had (paid $75.00 for special import white) several years ago. The broke the second time out on a long flight after I had to constantly shove them back in my ear. None of the various sized rubber cuffs worked fore me on that Sony. So far the Apple stays in my ear. Of course everyone's ear canal shape is going to be different. So some of you may be in Sony heaven and don't share my disappointment with the Sonys.

There maybe better In-Ear phones out there. I don't know, but I can tell you these are a step up from the standard Apple earbuds. Besides with these you don't have to contend with losing the little foam earbud covers that keep on falling off the stock Apples.

Jan 11, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 61
So you think this earphones might be a valid recommendation for people who wants canalphones for under $50? Were you able to tell what type of driver is used in the earphones?

Jan 11, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
So you think this earphones might be a valid recommendation for people who wants canalphones for under $50? Were you able to tell what type of driver is used in the earphones?

Are there true canalphones out there for under $50.00? I'm afraid I haven't followed the newest development as I have Ety's that do the job for me.

I hesitate to call them a direct alternative because they aren't what I would call true canalphones, as I understand them, like the Ety's.

I think the Ety canal phones work well because they have pretty much a perfect seal, and of course they go much deeper into the ear canal. The Apple's drivers wouldn't really enter into your canal they are too big. Well at least for my earholes. I think it is the rubber cuffs that just provide a better seal than earbuds that make the difference.

You might find a similar Apple In-Ear headphone effect if you pushed earbuds as hard as you dare into your ear. You would find the bass sounds better, and your not hearing get as much interference from environmental sounds. Actually the new Apple's are a little better than that example, but probably not that much better.

Of course you'd look better using the new Apples rather than running around with elbows out, and your index fingers in your ears, pushing the earbuds in as hard as you dare
wink.gif

The sound of Ety canal phones are in wonderfully strange at first, especially when you hear bass. It is great bass, in my opinion. Your brain kind of wonders why your getting such great bass, but your body isn't feeling the usual vibrations that come along with stereo speakers. I don't think you would find the same effect with the Apple In-Ear Headphones.

I used to have a set of custom earmolds that I used with the Ety's. They broke after a couple of years of use. You can't get a better seal and comfort than that. Frankly, I've never found the stock rubber on the Ety's very comfortable at all. I've never tried the foam.

The driver looks larger than the Sony's I had, I don't know if bigger is better. Look at the Ety's. Man, those have to be small drivers.

In the end I would say the Apple's In-Ear Headphones are a step-up from the Apple Ear Buds, there no Ety's. If it is any consolation the Apple's In-Ear Headphones are a darn sight better than the really expensive B&O, and beautifully designed earbuds I purchased two summers ago. I think those were about $250.00 ouch!

Hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #35 of 61
So it is indeed what I suspected, the Apple in-ear headphones aren't used balanced armature drivers that's used in Ety and Shure's higher end earphones. It's simply a dynamic driver with a fitted tip that extended into your ears.

Oh wellz... I guess it's better than having no other options at $39.

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Supports all iPods and all computers with a headphone port.

LMAO! Oh darn, I don't have a headphone PORT on my computer.

Jan 11, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 61
Jazz1 - do these headphones just improve the bass of the regular iBuds?

I'm quite content with the iBuds, even though I know their limitations. I'm not ready to spend more than $100 on a portable set of headphones that are mainly going to be used for gym, studying, and walking around (probably less studying than I hope for
frown.gif
) - there are many other things I could use $200 for.

If these headphones offer a decent improvement over the iBuds then I think that would keep me from spending any more than $39. If these headphones don't significantly improve the sound, though, then I might have to continue looking at the Ety/Shures.

Jan 11, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
Jazz1 - do these headphones just improve the bass of the regular iBuds?

I'm quite content with the iBuds, even though I know their limitations. I'm not ready to spend more than $100 on a portable set of headphones that are mainly going to be used for gym, studying, and walking around (probably less studying than I hope for
frown.gif
) - there are many other things I could use $200 for.

If these headphones offer a decent improvement over the iBuds then I think that would keep me from spending any more than $39. If these headphones don't significantly improve the sound, though, then I might have to continue looking at the Ety/Shures.

They do improve the overall sound, over the stock Apple eardbuds. But they are not Ety (ER-4S) killers by a longshot. If you really think your on your way to Etys/Shures, and your current earbuds are working for you, I'd use the money towards higher end sound. I'm using the new ones as alternatives to the Apple earbuds, not alternatives to the Ety's.

By the way the Ety's I'm talking about are the ER-4S. In checking Headroom's site I see they have come down quite a bit since I purchased several years ago, and there are ER-6's for an evern lower cost. I do not have any experience with those. Maybe that is the comparison that should be made. ER-6's v.s Apple In-Ear headphones.

The ER-4S really require amplification to sound good. So that is another cost factor. Although I have raised the sound level of my tunes in iTunes via the "Get Info" dialog box so the ER-4S and my Senn 600's sound just okay on my iPod (without amplification).

I still want to get a better mobile headphone amp. I have a second generation Headroom Airhead. Not the new one. That of course helps.

I can't help with a direct comparison of the ER-6's agains the Apple, as I haven't tried the ER-6's. Their form factor may be closer to the Apple's new headphones than the ER-4S's. I can see why people might interested in a comparison. Maybe someone else that knows the ER-6's can comment. Generally speaking I find you get what you pay for, except for the B&O's I mentioned earlier
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #39 of 61
Today I set out to the apple store at our local "mall of america".. I walked in looking for the new ibuds, but guess what?? They didnt have them..

The sales rep said they wouldnt be getting them in until feb. He said they were too new...okay...

Next I looked for the ipod mini, didnt have thoes in either..What good is this store!

Finally..Can you imagine that there isnt a store at the mall of america that carries high fi equipment??

Jan 12, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #40 of 61
I got the new iBuds.

I think they sound better than the Sony EX71's. Clear mids and highs, tight bass. Not muddy at all like the Sony's. But I'm not sure about the fit of the Apple earpieces. They are really long and kinda cone shaped so they don't stay plugged into my ear very well.

But the sound is actually quite good as long as they're sealed up properly.

Thanks to the above for the tip on using the slider to keep them untangled during storage, (or dangling from my iPod). I couldn't figure out what that thing was for. That is an awesome suggestion.

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #41 of 61
I want to buy Shure e2 for my Ipod. Are these new earphones better or comparable? They only cost 1/2 the price of the e2's... I'm glad to hear that the new apple phones are better than the EX70/71.

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by podunk
I got the new iBuds.

I think they sound better than the Sony EX71's. Clear mids and highs, tight bass. Not muddy at all like the Sony's. But I'm not sure about the fit of the Apple earpieces. They are really long and kinda cone shaped so they don't stay plugged into my ear very well.

But the sound is actually quite good as long as they're sealed up properly.

Thanks to the above for the tip on using the slider to keep them untangled during storage, (or dangling from my iPod). I couldn't figure out what that thing was for. That is an awesome suggestion.

how are these two performing in terms of isolation ?

Jan 12, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
Next I looked for the ipod mini, didnt have thoes in either..What good is this store!

if you look at the apple site they say that the iPod mini won't come out until feb.

Jan 12, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
if you look at the apple site they say that the iPod mini won't come out until feb.

They said the same about the new headphones too...

I'm just ordering the Shure E3s right now.... Muehahah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back