New (and pretty harsh) review of iPod touch from iLounge
Sep 17, 2007 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

BassheadJazz

100+ Head-Fier
Yikes, I think this is the lowest rating I've seen for an iPod review from them. With the mixed bag of reviews for the top of the line players, it looks like I might just be hanging on to the iPods I have now. Think the guys at Apple are running out of steam?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...ouch-8gb-16gb/

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 75
There is only so much you can do with an mp3 player. The ipod touch is bloated with "features" that really do nothing when it comes to actually enjoying your music listening experience.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 75
First off, I wonder if this itouch is made for someone like me who only uses a basic cell phone to place phone calls (nothing else) and uses an Ipod just to play music--no videos, no pics, etc. So the Itouch is supposed to get to me somehow with all its so-called "features". Unfortunately, to me it missed because I dont need all those features, I like my cellphone just for phone calls and my 4g Imod with no video is just beautiful for what it'smeant to do: play music as best as it can.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple seriously dropped the ball with the Touch by going solid state memory. 16GB max for the Touch is just too small.

I wouldn't say dropped the ball. Flash memory IS the future - lower power consumption and no skipping are only the start of its benefits - and not everyone needs huge piles of space. My sister doesn't use more than 12GB of her 80GB classic.

If the Touch was the only iPod available and they discontinued all high-capacity models, I'd say they dropped the ball. But they didn't, so I'd say they're fine. It usually takes a few generations for a product to mature; this is generation 1 for the Touch.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 75
Slap a 1.8"er and a larger battery into the Touch, and they've got a real winner.
Who gives a ****** about super thinness and all that. And oh yeah, while they are at it, lower the price to a reasonable amount and make the display true 16:9.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 75
Perhaps you guys arne't the target market for the iPod Touch. It sounds like you guys may want an iPod Classic, or even Nano. Why would you complain about a product thats not aimed at you? Personally, I'm looking forward to getting my iPod Touch because I think thin is great. Having a wifi device I can ssh from and tinker with is going to be great for travelling and commuting.

And the flash vs. hard drive debate is over. The only benefit of the drive is the cost ratio. Reliability, size, power requirements are big downsides. The cost of flash is sinking like a rock, when the cost vs. benefit evens out enough for you, you'll all be using flash. I rip stuff ALAC and transcode down for portable devices, the 16 gig is going to be great for me. I remember changing out tapes in my walkman to change albums, so loading new album sets every few weeks isn't that much of an inconvience.

Rob

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 75
At first I intend to get 8gb Touch, but after a few days reading reviews, I turn to Cowon D2. Never regret
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you guys arne't the target market for the iPod Touch. It sounds like you guys may want an iPod Classic, or even Nano. Why would you complain about a product thats not aimed at you? Personally, I'm looking forward to getting my iPod Touch because I think thin is great. Having a wifi device I can ssh from and tinker with is going to be great for travelling and commuting.

And the flash vs. hard drive debate is over. The only benefit of the drive is the cost ratio. Reliability, size, power requirements are big downsides. The cost of flash is sinking like a rock, when the cost vs. benefit evens out enough for you, you'll all be using flash. I rip stuff ALAC and transcode down for portable devices, the 16 gig is going to be great for me. I remember changing out tapes in my walkman to change albums, so loading new album sets every few weeks isn't that much of an inconvience.

Rob

Ok, fine. Be sure to tell me when they come out with a 32GB model, then Ill bite.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 75
Who cares about lower power consumption of flash if the iPod Touch has the worst battery life of any ipod on the market? And who cares about the plummeting prices if the iPod Touch is the most expensive iPod on the market?

The classic has longer battery life, MUCH more HDD space, and is cheaper.. There is really no reason to get the ipod touch unless you want things like ssh, but even then it comes up short. Sure, the iPod has ssh, but the n800 has VNC as well. And as far as capacity goes, you will be able to swap out 8/16/32gb SDHC cards in the n800 and the cowon D2, leaving the iPod in the dust as far as storage capacity is concerned.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares about lower power consumption of flash if the iPod Touch has the worst battery life of any ipod on the market? And who cares about the plummeting prices if the iPod Touch is the most expensive iPod on the market?

The classic has longer battery life, MUCH more HDD space, and is cheaper.. There is really no reason to get the ipod touch unless you want things like ssh, but even then it comes up short. Sure, the iPod has ssh, but the n800 has VNC as well. And as far as capacity goes, you will be able to swap out 8/16/32gb SDHC cards in the n800 and the cowon D2, leaving the iPod in the dust as far as storage capacity is concerned.

did you ever find out about the n800's battery life? i'm willing to bet it can't do 28 hours audio. it does not have the worst battery life of any ipod (the shuffle is much worse), and even then it is equal to or better than almost any of the competition. if the ipod classic had a screen the size of the touch or ran the interface of the touch it would be much larger and probably wouldn't get close to the battery life of the touch. the n800 can only support up to 8GB cards (for now)

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 75
iPod shuffle doesn't count.

From the reviews ive read, I think about 10 hours or so is what the n800 can do when playing music, i'm not sure if that was with wifi and hte lcd turned off though, because that doesnt seem like much. compared to the 4-6 hours you get when web browsing. On the other hand, you can buy extra/extended batteries for the n800 if you want longer battery life.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 75
I think the Touch is going to be more appreciated as time goes by. I just started to install third party software in my iPhone, and I can see the potential for it to take the place of my laptop in a lot of circumstances.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back