New and Looking for the ones
Oct 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Volatile Pulse

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but have been reading a lot of posts over the last month or so including reviews and other topics. Just a quick background of me, I love my music, but I'm in no way an audiophile. I prefer functionality over style, but don't want to compromise on sound to get those few extra features.

With that being said, besides some no name IEMs, I've used iBuds, JVC Gummies Plus, and most recently iFrogz Mogul. To me, the Moguls are the best of those, but something still seems to be lacking on that end but for $40, I don't think it was a bad buy.

I think I'm going to return them and buy something else more specific to what I want. I want a set of over ear headphones that have inline volume and mic controls, fairly good isolation, and around the $50 price range. Besides those almost necessary requirements, AQ wise, I want solid lows, with clean mids and highs. I noticed the Moguls were significantly higher sound than the IEMs I had. I don't want IEMs and Over Ears should provide the best isolation since I tend to wear them around other people.

I'm willing to take everything into consideration, but I would like to keep them under $50, definitely want the inline controls, and possibly as portable as an over the ear can get. When I say an over the ear set, I mean like the Moguls, but the cushions surround the ears, maybe I'm using the wrong term.

Thanks in advance for your help though.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 19
these are probably the only ones I found on amazon that fulfills your $50 dollar price tag...

http://www.amazon.com/iHome-iB40B-Headphones-Volume-Control/dp/B00486T134/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1381721126&sr=8-40&keywords=over+ear+headphones

For $100 you can get the V-moda Crossfade LP that comes with a detachable cable with the 3 button remote. While they hare a basshead headphone ( people say it muddy and it is at first... but gets better in my opinion after burning them in a lot ) and the highs roll off but still a good sounding pair for $100 ( Not for the MSRP of $200)

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 19
Try this thread:

www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-299-iems-compared-nuforce-ne-700x-2013-version-added-10-11-13-p-784/540

I recommend the BA100.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 19
@Closingracer
I took a look at those and the 50mm version. I'd rather have the 50s but for the difference in price, it might be worth getting the 40s for now. I'll look into the crossfades since I've read mixed reviews about them, but at 50% off and still double my price range, it's going to be a little bit of a challenge to convince myself to get them. I've never spent more than $20 on a set of headphones until now.

@zamorin
I don't want IEMs. They aren't comfortable in my ears, my ears sweat a lot with them in, don't have much isolation, and my ears really hurt if I fall asleep with them in. I like the on ear/over ear headphones so far, and the Moguls were extremely comfortable. Unless a set of IEMs are a cheap price and offer the same luxuries as what I want, I don't believe I'll be buying them.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 19
Sorry, I didn't read what you wrote properly....2nd time today 
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 19
It's ok, I was in a rush to type it up and my wants weren't stated as well as I had thought. Let's have one more attempt using some proper terms.

I am looking for some circumaural headphones with iPod controls (mic, call, volume), have minimal sound leak (I can tolerate not having isolation, I just worry about others being bothered by my music tastes, or the lack thereof), and all parts of the audible frequency should be crisp and clean, but I do like my lows.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser lineup and their supra aural iPod headphones are what I want, but aren't circumaural...help me? :frowning2:

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 19
The v-moda crossfade lp isn't that bad of a headphone and once you break them in they sound much better in my opinion. At $100 I loved them (returned mine because of a defect with mine and decided to get the m-100 instead)

V-moda also has a 60 day test guarantee

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 19
I agree with closingracer even though I've never tried it.It's highly recommended in this forum. Best to check the V-moda appreciation thread.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 19
The crossfades are basically exactly what I want, but I can't ignore that $100 price tag either. The style to them is a little more extreme than I was hoping for, about the same way I feel about the Moguls. I really like a lot of the Sennheiser headphones, but the only ones that fit what I want are the momentums I believe and MSRP of $300 I think is beyond my budget.

I've been looking around and the crossfades are nice, but I know they aren't the cheapest headphones that I'm looking for.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 19
The crossfades are basically exactly what I want, but I can't ignore that $100 price tag either. The style to them is a little more extreme than I was hoping for, about the same way I feel about the Moguls. I really like a lot of the Sennheiser headphones, but the only ones that fit what I want are the momentums I believe and MSRP of $300 I think is beyond my budget.

I've been looking around and the crossfades are nice, but I know they aren't the cheapest headphones that I'm looking for.

I would of suggest the momentum but they are 349 dollars ( they are also on the small side so if you have big ears might not be around ear headphones) ... I would also suggest the V-mod M-100 but they as well are $300. The LP once you burn them in sound good at $100.

the build quality is top notch and with it 1 year warranty should easily cover these and the immortal life program you can save 50% if they do break and need to buy a new pair

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 19
I don't doubt the crossfades are exceptional headphones, but even at the $100 price range, not only are they breaking the bank, but the style isn't exactly what I want. I like the simple look, I don't need to draw attention to myself, not anymore than a full size headphone already does anyways.

I keep turning back to the Sennheiser line up, and the HD219s has everything I want except they're supra aural instead of circumaural. That solely prevents me from buying them. The HD429s I believe is exactly what I want, down the the price point, except it only has an inline mic, which makes me keep turning away from them as well.

IEMs basically all have the iPod three button remote with them, or they're easy to come by, however, I can't find many full size cans that have what I want without basically buying the highest end cans the company has to offer.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 19
I don't doubt the crossfades are exceptional headphones, but even at the $100 price range, not only are they breaking the bank, but the style isn't exactly what I want. I like the simple look, I don't need to draw attention to myself, not anymore than a full size headphone already does anyways.

I keep turning back to the Sennheiser line up, and the HD219s has everything I want except they're supra aural instead of circumaural. That solely prevents me from buying them. The HD429s I believe is exactly what I want, down the the price point, except it only has an inline mic, which makes me keep turning away from them as well.

IEMs basically all have the iPod three button remote with them, or they're easy to come by, however, I can't find many full size cans that have what I want without basically buying the highest end cans the company has to offer.

They really aren't any full size cans with the 3 button remote other then the crossfade lp and the cheapest that I can think of

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Another approach I was looking at was detachable cables. Not only for the fact of convenience, but to swap out the only audio cable for a remote cable too. The limitation has to be under $50 then to leave money for a quality three button cable too.

Are the detachable systems proprietary, meaning that I can only use company Xs cables?

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 19
Eh the cheapest ones with detacheable cables are the bose oe ( the first ones) at Costco is around $109 and is proprietary and the v-moda crossfade lp which uses the typical 3.5 mm jack. The v-moda crossfade lp comes with a 3 button remote and an only audio cable both made with a Kevlar coated cable.

There really isn't any that I can think of in your budget... I can think of a few on ear headphones that go with over a bit like the soul sl150 which is 60 on amazon which does have a detacheable cable with a 3 button remote and is the typical 3.5 mm cable

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 19
So, I've been looking around, and found basically what I'm looking for. I believe I'm going to be going with the HD439, closed circumaural detachable headphones, and a cable for beats by Dre that I found for $11 that has the three button remote integrated into it.

The other option I saw was a bluetooth remote that had all of the buttons on it and the headphone jack. I can use it by itself and plug the headphones into my iPhone. It's not ideal, but about the only option I came up with under $100 and has a good style and sound. I think the V-MODAs would be a good option, but between the looks and being over budget, it's not looking good for them.

Any other thoughts of good headphones with a detachable cable for $50 or so? Definitely want it to be a sleek look and good sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back