New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Oct 13, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #511 of 1,351
  I have been testing the gain stages yesterday with my inears (Lime Ears Aether) as I promised someone on here.
It's clear that if you can, you should set the gain as low as possible. The gain effect is most audible in the mids section, where the lowest gain sounds the most natural and the highest gain sounds the most forced, aggressive. You will find the lowest gain is the easiest and most natural to listen to. There is no real audible difference for what bass and treble is concerned in my opinion.

Let me know if there any other questions

Thanks for the info, Ultrainferno! It was me, who asked you to make a comparison, as far as I remember:) Have you noticed any difference between DF settings? 

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #512 of 1,351
  Thanks for the info, Ultrainferno! It was me, who asked you to make a comparison, as far as I remember:) Have you noticed any difference between DF settings? 

The cut-off you mean? Yes it is noticeable but it's really a minimalist change, I'm perfectly fine with both but usually I have it on "sharp"

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #513 of 1,351

1/4" jack on a pocket friendly DAP? I'm glad they left it behind with C4 and LP5
biggrin.gif

No adjustable EQ yet, but there are 5 excellent EQ presets.  I hope they will be able to implement some kind of EQ in the near future.

You mean 5 pre sets on the LP5 gold?

No, talking about the new L5 Pro.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #515 of 1,351
Oct 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #516 of 1,351
That's a bit of a worry...as my TH900 headphone sometimes requires a bump to the mids, which the jazz setting allowed. The rest of the pre sets, except normal, are totally rubbish. The LP5 would have to be amazing straight out of the box and a good match for the TH900.....my plans are crumbling :frowning2:

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #518 of 1,351
That's a bit of a worry...as my TH900 headphone sometimes requires a bump to the mids, which the jazz setting allowed. The rest of the pre sets, except normal, are totally rubbish. The LP5 would have to be amazing straight out of the box and a good match for the TH900.....my plans are crumbling :frowning2:

I believe the mid of LP5 sound some what differrent from C4, maybe zeissiez can help you out again.

A while back I asked Mr.Wan for about adding EQs to LP5 and he thinks it is least of his concerns as he wishes LP5 is heard the way it is made without any extra EQ modification.

Of course having some freedom is nice, your best bet here is to try LP5 at your local store if possible, to see if it pairs up with TH900 nicely; go for L5 Pro which does provide Jazz EQ which will satisfy your need; or judge based on what zeissiez's thoughts as he is one of the few's that has experience with both devices.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #523 of 1,351
I never ever touch the EQ in DAPs (or elsewhere for that matter). If your headphone doesn't sound the way you want it to, maybe it's not the right headphone for you
But everyone is free to do what they want of course. Who knows, it might show up in one of the following FW updates 
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #524 of 1,351
I had been "educated" that EQ mess with SQ, so for many years I stayed away from using EQ. However, when I found that a simple mod significantly improved my HD800, then I told myself, there's nothing wrong EQ-ing if u know what u r doing. By reducing the 8k peak of my Merlin by 6dB, the sibilance has gone, the thin vocal was fuller and brought forward, the rest of the qualities remained intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back