New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Jul 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #243 of 1,351
  Is this and the AK380 the only daps that use AKM AK4490?

No http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-rumours-and-discussion-thread

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #246 of 1,351
I am also wondering about any info regarding the L5 pro as I am seriously considering buying the L5.

However, I would hate to do so and then regret not waiting a couple months because the PRO turns out to be considerably better. The main thing I am concerned with is the lack of Wifi, thus making me consider waiting for the Fiio X7.

So any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #247 of 1,351
I am also wondering about any info regarding the L5 pro as I am seriously considering buying the L5.

However, I would hate to do so and then regret not waiting a couple months because the PRO turns out to be considerably better. The main thing I am concerned with is the lack of Wifi, thus making me consider waiting for the Fiio X7.

So any info would be greatly appreciated.

From all i know, the L5 PRO comes with better screen, amp circuit, some digital-analog components but not changing the DAC chip. I think WIFI will be absent on L5 PRO.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #250 of 1,351
As a heads up, Massdrop is having the sale on the L5 once more: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/luxury-and-precision-l5

Did they ever get the screen problem, as well as a few of the minor issues, resolved or did they decide to fix that in the "Pro" version?

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #251 of 1,351
is there a limit to folder depth?
i.e. i might have a folder classical>schubert>chamber music>late quartets>quartet 14>melos in which will be the 4 tracks of that recording.

and what's the story on quality control, channel imbalance, and so on?  i got interested when i saw it on massdrop for $110 less than penon.

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #252 of 1,351
Trying hard to convince the wife that spending the $550 on this is ok even though were trying to buy a house. For the massdrop once they have 6 does it close, or is it that they need at least 6 and the more the merrier?

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #253 of 1,351
Trying hard to convince the wife that spending the $550 on this is ok even though were trying to buy a house. For the massdrop once they have 6 does it close, or is it that they need at least 6 and the more the merrier?

6 or more to unlock lowest pricing of 530. Unless otherwise specified eg limited quantity and fully redeemed, it won't close till the stated days n time.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #254 of 1,351

How Massdrop works is that they have an item that the community wants and then allows people to purchase it. As people commit to purchasing the item, the price goes down via the ranks on the item's page. As each rank is met, the price goes down. If you committed to an item at $400 but the community was able to get it down to $250, you'll only have to pay $250 and so forth.

Unless stated by the product's page or Massdrop, the "drop" will be as many as the community wants to buy before the drop ends.

Now if you want to buy 6 of them to help me get a lower price, I'll be all for it 
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #255 of 1,351
Till date, the L5 is still the best DAP I've heard, although admittedly, I've avoided some DAPs due to their sheer costs, such as those AK DAPs above AK100II.

However, this device is so full of issues (besides the SQ) that I skipped over the first Massdrop, and I'll likely skip over this one too. Some issues:

QC: Screen cancer, where some units' screens started going dark and turning black at the edge, working their way inwards

Laggy touchscreen: Most of the time, it's just faster to navigate the UI using buttons rather than the touchscreen

Extremely basic file sorting, UI, and playback functions: Unless you are the type that will just press play and forget, you'll find the functions inadequate. I need at the very least the option to browse by artists, albums etc.

A work in progress.... that may never end up being done: Presently, Luxury and Precision is regularly issuing firmware updates but now that I know that they are working on the L5Pro too, I have no idea when they will just give up on the L5, and by then, if there will still be any issues. 

While I'm currently waiting for the L5Pro, the price may end up out of my reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back