New Amp
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alphaleus

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am currently looking for a new Amp as my current one seems to be on it's way out, I have a Schiit Stack V1 so I already have the Modi as a DAC, I have the Mad Dogs by Mr Speakers and AKG K7xx headphones and I am looking to spend about $300-$400 also I don't mind if it's a Amp/DAC combo

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Audio-gd NFB-11 or you could get a Vali 2* and use it with the Modi. JDS Labs also has their new Element DAC/amp in that price range, but I haven't yet heard it to be able to given an opinion.

*Which I'm mentioning because I have one in for review at the moment. I haven't auditioned the Magni ever.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 5
  Audio-gd NFB-11 or you could get a Vali 2* and use it with the Modi. JDS Labs also has their new Element DAC/amp in that price range, but I haven't yet heard it to be able to given an opinion.

*Which I'm mentioning because I have one in for review at the moment. I haven't auditioned the Magni ever.

Yeah I was looking at the Audio-gd NFB-11 and Element last night but couldn't decide which one I should get, I have never heard tube amps before but I heard they go well with the Mad Dogs but I am not sure how well they would go with the AKG.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 5
The Vali 2 is a tube hybrid, so the output is solid-state. The tube is just used for voltage gain. We're at the stage, after so many years, that it is hard to make a bad choice (unless the lack of 192k is an issue with the Element) such that choosing the most suitable headphones for the genres you like is far more important IMO. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back