New amp or Headphone Recommendation
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Focal1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I have been reading around for a while, and I am hoping to get some opinions from you.

Right now I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ that I got a few years back for some light DJ'ing use. I also have a small pair of in-ear Skullcandy phones that were very inexpensive. I typically use the Skullcandy's when I am out of the house (walking to classes, etc.) and the Sony's when I am at my desk (home and office), though sometimes I use both for either.

For a while I have wanted to look at upgrading to some new headphones (probably Grado SR80i or Alessandro MS1i based on my musical tastes), but figured that if I can consistently hear a steady hissing coming from both my home and work computer headphone jacks and my iPod's jack with the Sony's and the Skullcandy's, maybe I should spend the money first to get DAC/amp then get new phones later.

I have a limited budget right now, in the ~$150 range. I have looked at the HeadRoom Bithead, the iBasso D2+, and a few others, but was wondering what you guys thought would work best for my purposes.

I want it to be portable so I can use it at work and at home. If I can use it on-the-go with my iPod, that would be a plus, but is not necessary.

I want something that will make the Sony's sound better (I suspect most anything will), but will still be nice enough that a mid-fi set of phones like the Grado's or Alessandro's wouldn't sound crappy coming out of it later.

Any specific recommendations? I would not be opposed to spending a little bit more if the product would be a lot much nicer, but I'm not going to spend $300 on an amp right now while I still have a few more years of college to get through.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 4
I dont see a player listed, but anway....

Meier - Headsix /XXS

GoVibe - Petite, or whichever

Find a DIY builder to make you a Mini3 or Pint

Eh, i forgot the name......i think its a Fiio- 7 something, a new dac/amp for like $85 that has good reviews so far, but i never heard one honestly.

Practical Devices - whichever one you want to spring the cash for. Some of them op-amp roll.

Look at the Ibasso's also.

Theres many sites in the sidebar of this website for what i mentioned.
If you can, go listen to them at a meet, store, or arrange to meet someone for a listen etc.
Dont fall into the Flavour of the Month thing! FOTM).

As far as phones.....i dot know if you want IEMs, or what. Theres so many. For anyone to suggest some things to check out, yo need to give more information as to what you want really.

Check out Westone, Denon, Sennheiser, Ultimate Ears (bought out by Logitec) , Monster Turbines, Grado, etc.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Fiio that Dragon mentions is the E7. It's not been released yet, but is imminent.

All I can suggest is that you ensure that you purchase an Amp/DAC combo that has a USB port. Then you'll be able to use it portable as an amp and at home (assuming that you listen via Laptop) as a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back