New Aluminum Mac Mini as Music Source
Jan 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Red Jacket Mike

500+ Head-Fier
After searching through all of Head-Fi, I've run across numerous threads with Mac Mini info, but most of them are several years old, refer to older models, and have been long dead; a few more current discussions briefly mention using the Mac Mini in headphone rigs, but they are also very brief, and most seem to have ended.

I thought I would start this thread to possibly consolidate information on the new aluminum model Mini, which was introduced last summer.  It's a huge step up from previous models in many ways, and I would like to find out how other Head-Fiers are using the Mini in their audio systems.

I just purchased a new Mini, and have transferred my Apple Lossless iTunes library to it.  It's connected to a DACMagic using the mini toslink port on the back.  I still have a Marantz CD player connected to the DACMagic using the 2nd optical input.

The DACMagic is connected via RCA/analog to my Woo WA6SE.  I also have a Meier Stage DAC and Concerto on order.  I'm hoping to replace the DACMagic with the Stage DAC, which will then use its dual outputs to feed both the Woo and the Concerto. 

I was also really pleased to see the HDMI port on the back; to initially set up the Mini, I connected it to my 60" Pioneer Kuro HDTV. Upon startup, the picture perfectly filled the screen, and in display preferences, I saw 'Pioneer TV' was chosen as the display device, with 1080p as the resolution.  I simply changed the refresh rate from 24Hz to 60Hz, for smoother cursor movement on the screen.  It even has an underscan slider, so you can tailor it to a TV that doesn't display the Mini's desktop perfectly.  Years ago, with an earlier model Mini, it involved some effort on my part to get it to display properly, if at all, on an HDTV.

Here are some things this thread could possibly answer for me and, I'm sure, for other users:

•Ripping CDs on the Mac Mini; ALAC, AIFF, or some other format? Or, rip them somewhere else?

•What settings are important in iTunes before ripping?  (I know about error correction, crossfade, soundcheck, etc., but are there     other things that can be done to optimize the ripping process?)

•Other options besides iTunes for ripping, and for playback on the Mini?  (Pure Music, Amarra, Amarra Lite, etc.)

•Upgrading RAM in the Mini-is it necessary for iTunes, or for whatever other software will be used?  The new models come with 2GB, and can be upgraded to a max of 8GB--and it's much easier to do than on previous models.

•Upgrading the hard drive; standard or SSD, internal or external, and what about backups and backup drives?  (I've found OWC/MacSales.com is a great place for Mac upgrades and accessories; excellent installation videos on their site, too.)

•How to monitor the Mini--using an iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone with Remote software and a VNC app is one way.  Also since the new model has an HDMI port, it's simple to hook it up to any HDTV or LCD monitor with a DVI or even a VGA connection.  Any other ideas?

•Connecting the Mini to a DAC and/or amp:  USB, or the mini/optical port, or possibly a USB/coaxial bridge?  There've been lots of discussions on which of these is best with computers in general, and of course, it will depend on the features of the connected gear.

•What should the Mini NOT be doing while acting as music server/player?  Which apps can be tossed out, what processes can be switched off, etc., and how best to otherwise optimize the Mini for music playback.

I'm sure there are lots of areas I've missed; hopefully this thread can become a source of info for those of us that have a Mini integrated into our audio systems.  I look forward to reading how others are using the Mac Mini in their setups.  Thanks for reading all of this, if you got this far.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 7
-I'd rip to ALAC. Prettty neat in iTunes.
-If you're going to be running iTunes and maybe one/two other apps, no need to upgrade the ram. However, I'd go with 4gb to future proof it. Buy ram from other sources to save a lot of cash - apple have a great markup on it. Crucial are a good place.
-500gb hard drive inside + a 500gb usb drive externally for backup is a nice way to go. Any usb drive is good. Again, OWC make good drives if you want to pay a little extra - I'm a massive fan of G-Tech drives for photo/video but that might be overkill here IMHO. You can use Time Machine to back everything up, and add in another usb drive if you want offsite backup too...
-Make sure you've got an apple remote with the mini (I think you do now). Then you can fire up front row on the mini and use the remote to browse your itunes library - a really slick way to do it. Front Row looks great on big screens.
-Not much should be running on the mini apart from iTunes normally - unless you install software OSX shouldn't run too much in the background. You can always use Activity Monitor (in the utilities folder) to check what's using your CPU power.
Hope that helps, sorry I couldn't answer all the points.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
-I'd rip to ALAC. Prettty neat in iTunes.
-If you're going to be running iTunes and maybe one/two other apps, no need to upgrade the ram. However, I'd go with 4gb to future proof it. Buy ram from other sources to save a lot of cash - apple have a great markup on it. Crucial are a good place.
-500gb hard drive inside + a 500gb usb drive externally for backup is a nice way to go. Any usb drive is good. Again, OWC make good drives if you want to pay a little extra - I'm a massive fan of G-Tech drives for photo/video but that might be overkill here IMHO. You can use Time Machine to back everything up, and add in another usb drive if you want offsite backup too...
-Make sure you've got an apple remote with the mini (I think you do now). Then you can fire up front row on the mini and use the remote to browse your itunes library - a really slick way to do it. Front Row looks great on big screens.
-Not much should be running on the mini apart from iTunes normally - unless you install software OSX shouldn't run too much in the background. You can always use Activity Monitor (in the utilities folder) to check what's using your CPU power.
Hope that helps, sorry I couldn't answer all the points.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up; I'm currently using my new aluminum mac mini in my equipment rack.  My CD library has all been ripped to AIFF (I have room, and my collection is not that large).  I also have a few HD Tracks 24/96 downloads.  

After reading quite a bit on this subject, I've done the following:  I'm using optical out to a Meier StageDAC.  I'm using the stock 320 GB internal drive, and I have a Guardian Mini RAID enclosure with 2 500 GB drives mirrored connected via FireWire 800.  This is currently my backup drive; I might add another of these in the future, and run the iTunes library from it, if I ever run out of space.  

My Mini has the standard 2GB of RAM; I might possibly upgrade it to 4 or 8, again from OWC.

I haven't tried front row, and have no screen for the mini.  I currently access it from a MacBook laptop, using JollysFastVNC, which works pretty well.  I'm hoping to get an iPad when the version 2 models come out, and use the remote application to access the itune library on the Mini.

Or, I've thought of just getting a flat screen HDMI monitor for the Mini, and using the new wireless keyboard from my chair.  I do have one of the small white apple remotes, which came with another iMac I own, but I didn't get one with the Mini.

Everything sound great so far; I have the Audio/Midi settings at 24/96 for everything; I don't notice any improvement over 16/44.1, but from what I've read, it shouldn't degrade anything either.  From what I understand, iTunes plays everything (my CD rips, and my 24/96 downloads) at 24/96, passes the signal on to the OSX operating system, which doesn't do anything additional, and then everything goes to my StageDAC which upsamples everything to 24/384.

I'll have to try front row to run iTunes, just to see how it looks, though.  

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Did you realise Screen Sharing is built into Mac OS X and you don't have to use a VNC program?

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I've tried that; there's more of a lag with it, though, especially if you want a higher res view.  With the VNC app I can go full screen, it's much more responsive, and it doesn't feel like I'm using a remote mac at all.  

I've been experimenting with front row, but when I set it up so it uses the iTunes library on the remote mac (the mini), I'm getting the sound out of the built in speakers on the laptop I'm running it from.  I guess Front Row can access a remote iTunes library that's set up for sharing on the network, but it wants to play it on the machine it's running on.  I can turn on Front Row on the mac mini, of course, but then I'm using VNC again to access it from the laptop.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Btw, I posted a thread with a list of iTunes alternatives.  I'm also playing around with XBMC as an alternative to Front Row. I'm having trouble myself deciding on whether or not to get an Apple TV, another Mini or something else for media playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back