New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #136 of 145
After a year (or more) of deliberation, I've finally decided to buy the Alo Rx. I was pretty impetuous, but hey, I've always had my eye on this gem of an amp. I'm pairing it with my AK240, and boy, this combo is pretty awesome! It brings out a bit more life and energy to the AK240's smooth and clear presentation. Loving every minute of it so far!

Congratulations on your excellent purchase! I absolutely love the Alo RX. It's undeniably one of the best portable amps for IEMs or low-impedance headphones!
I've never experienced such a detailed yet smooth and extremely pleasing sonic rendition of strings and vocals, supported by warm and tight bass, as with the Alo RX!

Listening to the music of Sam Amidon, RM Hubbert, Mike Kinsella, Mark Kozelek (just to name a few) through the Alo RX is a truly enjoyable and touching experience, which goes beyond the simple appreciation of the technical specs of this beautiful amp.
I've now moved to the Continental V5, which has pushed my enjoyment to even higher levels... but I will not depart from the RX!

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #138 of 145
Congratulations on your excellent purchase! I absolutely love the Alo RX. It's undeniably one of the best portable amps for IEMs or low-impedance headphones!
I've never experienced such a detailed yet smooth and extremely pleasing sonic rendition of strings and vocals, supported by warm and tight bass, as with the Alo RX!

Listening to the music of Sam Amidon, RM Hubbert, Mike Kinsella, Mark Kozelek (just to name a few) through the Alo RX is a truly enjoyable and touching experience, which goes beyond the simple appreciation of the technical specs of this beautiful amp.
I've now moved to the Continental V5, which has pushed my enjoyment to even higher levels... but I will not depart from the RX!

Thanks!

I'm a fan of Alo's offerings, and my current portable amp of choice is the Rx Mk3-B+. It's a beast of an amp, but I'd like something a little smaller to use with my AK240. The Rx adds a lot of punch and body to the AK, which can sound a little lean. So yup, it's a great amp, indeed!

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #139 of 145
Alo Rx is just the best out there for couple years. It brings a lots of dynamics, juice and transparency. What is the most important - the ears and the brain are not tired even if I spend the whole day in it and they do not get used to the sound. So, it's sound signature never become boring, in contrast to absolutely any daps and amp\dacs I have tried, and I tried pretty much everything before 2017 (excluding fiio x5iii, DX200 etc.). But I'm 100% sure that current DAPs suffer of the same issues as their predecessors. There is almost no difference in sound between ALO Rx and Chord Hugo, this is how good it is.
I'm listening to it for few whole days without charging.
Probably, it is the most underrated amp on headfi!

May 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #140 of 145
Guys,

I just recently bought an RX off a friend and haven't tested it properly.
Can you guys tell me if a significantly decreasing volume is a sign that the RX is low on battery?

Thanks so much beforehand!

May 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #141 of 145
Just recently bought the RX from a friend without trying it first because I read all the great things here and all the reviews out there, only to find out that it barely drives my Ety ER4XR and need full volume to drive my Noble Savants to my normal listening levels..

So heartbroken since I have a strong feeling that I would love this amp and I am hesitant If I should ship this all the way to US so Ken or the ALO team could increase the gain for me..

May 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #142 of 145
What's your source? You should take that in consideration.

Contact Ken, if you need the gain increase.

May 28, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #143 of 145
What's your source? You should take that in consideration.

Contact Ken, if you need the gain increase.
Err.. Yeah I forgot to fiddle around with my source - it is the Shozy Alien+ DAP.
Never thought that I need to change the gain settings to 0 dB when using line out.

Everything is fine now.. My Etys took about 75-85% out of max vol to reach my normal listening level but it is not an easy IEM to drive at the first place.

My apologies..

Really loving the RX now!

May 29, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #144 of 145
Err.. Yeah I forgot to fiddle around with my source - it is the Shozy Alien+ DAP.
Never thought that I need to change the gain settings to 0 dB when using line out.

Everything is fine now.. My Etys took about 75-85% out of max vol to reach my normal listening level but it is not an easy IEM to drive at the first place.

My apologies..

Really loving the RX now!

Curious how it interacts with your dap. Been eyeing that one before I ended up with the Oriolus Dp100. In general, the Rx really does magic with the soundstage/layering!

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #145 of 145
Curious how it interacts with your dap. Been eyeing that one before I ended up the Oriolus Dp100. In general, the Rx really does magic with the soundstage/layering!
Well for me I think its quite hard to properly identify sound signatures over line out. But I will try to borrow a decent DAP to compare with while using the same gear..
Will revert back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back