New ALO balance amp-MKIII at RMAF
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 252

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
Ken, congratulation on the new MKIII.  I was surprise at how good it sounded.  It sounded better than the Continental by a margin.  Now we just need to talk Dave to come up with a Solo that has a balance out.  The MKIII is in the same league as the SR71b.  Big sound, intimate and personal.  I think you have a winning product here.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 252
Can you go into a bit more detail regarding the sound differences among the PB2, SR71B, and the MKIII? And also the pricing, and launch date.

My quest is becoming more and more difficult... DB2 vs. without, PB2 vs. SR71B... LCD2 vs. HE-500... Merlin vs. Miracle [solved], Miracle vs. ES5... LCD2 vs. LCD3... and now PB2 vs. SR71B vs. MKIII...

edit: Any pictures?

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 252
@Jalo.. do you know how much the M3B is?

edit: not out to December (maybe)

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 252
Any Impressions? I had a feeling. I am excited to hear some comparisons with the SR71-B. I was running IPod>CLAS>DB2>SR71-B. I pulled the DB2 out. I felt it was killing off a little of the bass. I am a big fan of the RX2 just thought it was barely loud enough with the LCD2. I love Ken's sound signature so I am excited to hear the MK3. Please someone post impressions.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 252

Quote:
Ken, congratulation on the new MKIII.  I was surprise at how good it sounded.  It sounded better than the Continental by a margin.  Now we just need to talk Dave to come up with a Solo that has a balance out.  The MKIII is in the same league as the SR71b.  Big sound, intimate and personal.  I think you have a winning product here.

Jalo,

Hey thank you for the quick impressions. We have been working on the Mk3 for almost 10 very long months now and its has been one of the most hair pulling things I think we have ever done. The good news is that this amp is one of the best things we have ever made and I have never been more proud of anything we have ever created, period. We are so incredibly happy with what we are hearing from the Mk3. The amp was totally re designed from the ground up, however we used the same opamp that the Mk2 uses; only now one Mk3 uses 8 of them. So the sound sig is similar to that of the Mk2, only the Mk3 is like an Mk2 on Martian steroids. The amp still has a little more tweaking to do but we are close. I do not expect the Mk3 to be available until at the earliest December and that would be if everything production wise goes smoothly. The Mk3/Solo/ LCD3, this is just a flat out jaw dropping, the headphone hobby is really getting good. :wink:

Thank you,

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 16, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 252

Jalo,
Hey thank you for the quick impressions. We have been working on the Mk3 for almost 10 very long months now and its has been one of the most hair pulling things I think we have ever done. The good news is that this amp is one of the best things we have ever made and I have never been more proud of anything we have ever created, period. We are so incredibly happy with what we are hearing from the Mk3. The amp was totally re designed from the ground up, however we used the same opamp that the Mk2 uses; only now one Mk3 uses 8 of them. So the sound sig is similar to that of the Mk2, only the Mk3 is like an Mk2 on Martian steroids. The amp still has a little more tweaking to do but we are close. I do not expect the Mk3 to be available until at the earliest December and that would be if everything production wise goes smoothly. The Mk3/Solo/ LCD3, this is just a flat out jaw dropping, the headphone hobby is really getting good. :wink:

Thank you,

ken

Ken,

Thank you for the more indepth information; I'm looking forward to it already.

Do you know, at this point, around how much the price will be?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 252

Quote:
Can you go into a bit more detail regarding the sound differences among the PB2, SR71B, and the MKIII? And also the pricing, and launch date.
My quest is becoming more and more difficult... DB2 vs. without, PB2 vs. SR71B... LCD2 vs. HE-500... Merlin vs. Miracle [solved], Miracle vs. ES5... LCD2 vs. LCD3... and now PB2 vs. SR71B vs. MKIII...
edit: Any pictures?

The MKIII is more similar to the SR71b than the PB2.  Comparing to the MKII, the MKIII seems to have a bigger sound, more involving, more air, and sound cleaner.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 252
Is the MK3 meant to be used with a single-ended source/dac?  

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 252
Peter, it is meant to be used as a balance amp with balance analogue input.  However, SE input will work also.  In fact the demo model is mini out of Solo and into the MKIII.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 252
So it seems the mk3 has unbalanced input and output. How's the sound compare to the balanced  output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back