New ALO balance amp-MKIII at RMAF
Oct 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #32 of 252
Ken the pictures are a thing of beauty. Can not wait to get this into the set up. Next I have to track down Alex for his new baby :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #34 of 252
Quote:

Ray was cool with me using the same connectors, they work really well.

Rodger that on the shorter knobs! We are having them made right here in Portland Oregon, the photo does not show the ALO logo that is machined into the face of the knob, its really slick.

We were all very pleased with the response from everyone who demoed the Mk3, this will be a huge hit for us I am sure. I can not wait to get the show on the road! :wink:

Thanks

Ken

All sounds good!

Ken, does this version of the Rx also have a digitally-controlled stepped volume control?

And can you tell us anything about how the bass control is implemented?

(To explain where I am coming from, digitally controlled volume plus a good bass assist could provide a fine low volume listening experience with sensitive IEMs like the ES5...)

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 252
Subscribed.  This is an exciting toy to watch out for.  

I have never had balanced before.  How much difference or loss of performance will be incurred if the mk3 is only fed a single ended input signal?  I dont want to buy a new CLAS.  It is crazy enough to have $2.5k wrapped up in a portable rig without having to do it all over again.....

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 252
From what others have said, balanced mode out of the SR71B does make a huge difference in sound, mainly wider soundstage, and deeper bass extension, though some have said there's a loss of center focus as well. However, the general consensus seems that going balanced over SE in a particular amp will give you a considerable amount of difference.

I'm just stating what others have said.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #37 of 252
What about making just a balanced amp, with balanced input and output only? I find no use for the SE output. Maybe this will lower the cost in expense of versatility. I'm just stating this because I have a protector and I haven't really found any use for the SE output anymore.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #38 of 252
I think SE is something that comes with balanced since it's just only doubling the circuitry, no point i taking it out then.

And SE is there for the times when you don't have a balanced cable, or a balanced source. I'm sure people will find the SE just as useful.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 252
Not trying to be off topic but I think it answers a question. I was using the SE input from CLAS and Balanced out of SR71-B I thought it was incredible big and beautiful. Then I got the iBasso DAC so that I could experience the Balanced in as well. Yes the soundstage and stereo field were wider. I found a little bit of the bass rolled off and was not as impactful. This could be just the inclusion of the iBasso. When I took it out of the chain I liked it better. I look forward to the MKIII I love the sound signature of Ken's products they are just right for my ears. I will be excited to see a balanced CLAS :), It is a lot of money for a hobby but if music is a big part of your life it's a small price to pay really...

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #40 of 252
+1 - I LOVE the current CLAS and I'm sure that it will sound amazing paired with this new amp, but definitely a balanced feature as part of v2 makes a lot of sense. Especially since this new amp sounds like it's going to be amazing and a great seller. 

Also, it seems like it can give you guys nice pricing diversity in your product line to accommodate different levels of budgets ... $700-800 for original SE CLAS + Mk2 ... $1200-1300 for balanced CLAS + Mk3 for those who want uncompromised portable sound. 

Quite exciting times indeed, thanks for posting Ken and I'l definitely be on the list for this new amp ... just need to get my cables reterminated :) 
Quote:
I will be excited to see a balanced CLAS :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #41 of 252
OK, then what in God's name is this beast (below)?  

Gee, dad, no op amps.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 252

Quote:
All sounds good!

Ken, does this version of the Rx also have a digitally-controlled stepped volume control?

And can you tell us anything about how the bass control is implemented?

(To explain where I am coming from, digitally controlled volume plus a good bass assist could provide a fine low volume listening experience with sensitive IEMs like the ES5...)

No the volume and bass adjust are potentiometers NOT digitally controlled. We are getting away form digitally controlled attenuators, the pots sound much more natural. Bass adjust is rather unique and can not really discuss how it operates. I have not checked IEMs yet, we are still testing and doing another tweak.

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #43 of 252

Quote:
Not trying to be off topic but I think it answers a question. I was using the SE input from CLAS and Balanced out of SR71-B I thought it was incredible big and beautiful. Then I got the iBasso DAC so that I could experience the Balanced in as well. Yes the soundstage and stereo field were wider. I found a little bit of the bass rolled off and was not as impactful. This could be just the inclusion of the iBasso. When I took it out of the chain I liked it better. I look forward to the MKIII I love the sound signature of Ken's products they are just right for my ears. I will be excited to see a balanced CLAS :), It is a lot of money for a hobby but if music is a big part of your life it's a small price to pay really...

Monoguy, :wink:

Not to take away from the iBasso, but the dang the Solo is a venerable piece of work. 

Thx bro.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #44 of 252

Quote:
OK, then what in God's name is this beast (below)?  

Gee, dad, no op amps.

That is our baby! "ST6" Desktop SET headphone amp. 

We are working to bring that to market. We will add one more 1/4 jack for a total of 3 so you can have a headphone listening party! The transformers will be all lined up and capped all in a sleeker enclosure. We will also add a companion (matching) 12AX7 x 1 EL84 x2 phono stage. Cant wait for this. 

Stay tuned.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back