New ALO balance amp-MKIII at RMAF
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #46 of 252

Quote:
Peter, it is meant to be used as a balance amp with balance analogue input.  However, SE input will work also.  In fact the demo model is mini out of Solo and into the MKIII.

I think what I'm after is will ALO for sure offer a balanced source for it...

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #48 of 252
Quote:
No the volume and bass adjust are potentiometers NOT digitally controlled. We are getting away form digitally controlled attenuators, the pots sound much more natural. Bass adjust is rather unique and can not really discuss how it operates. I have not checked IEMs yet, we are still testing and doing another tweak.

Kb

Thanks for the reply, Ken. It seems that no one is using digitally controlled volume for balanced amps. I remain very curious about this amp and in particular whether it can allow fine channel-matched low volume control with highly sensitive IEMs like the ES5, particularly given the loud (2 Vrms) output of the CLAS.. Looking forward to any feedback down the road.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #49 of 252
Perfect... Exactly what I was looking for. Anyone able to compare the SR-71B and the MKIII though? This is my only decision now.  I used to own the SR-71B and it was beautiful. But the MKIII with adjustable bass to me might just fill the gap and also help me with some Miracle vs Merlin compares... Loving the idea!

Where do I pre-order/ When will pre-orders be available (if they already aren't already)!

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #50 of 252

Quote:
Monoguy, :wink:

Not to take away from the iBasso, but the dang the Solo is a venerable piece of work. 

Thx bro.

ken

You ain't whistlin' Dixie! I agree that is why the ibasso now lives in the drawer. The gadget graveyard. :)
Need a beta tester?

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #51 of 252
Perfect... Exactly what I was looking for. Anyone able to compare the SR-71B and the MKIII though? This is my only decision now.  I used to own the SR-71B and it was beautiful. But the MKIII with adjustable bass to me might just fill the gap and also help me with some Miracle vs Merlin compares... Loving the idea!

Where do I pre-order/ When will pre-orders be available (if they already aren't already)!

They will be available January but no information on when preorders will start.
The only comparison I've come across was that they were really similar; too vague to really conclude anything. Ken says the MKIII sounds like the MKII but on steroids. If you know what the MKII sounds like, it might paint a picture of what the MKIII might sound like. I wish Ken can send out a prototype to someone for a full comparison! :)

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #52 of 252
When I compared the SR71b and the MKII three months ago I thought the MKII sounded nice but still below the SR71b in terms of noise level, sound stage and airiness. When I compared the SR71b and the MKIII at RMAF, I thought the MKIII has come up to the SR71b's level.

I was a little hesitant to draw too much conclusion from my audition at RMAF because the MKIII was a prototype and was not a final product. For instance, the MKIII at the show has only low gain that was functional even though there should be three gain levels (Hi-mid-lo). The balance and SE switch were also not functional. Also, the MKIII at RMAF could only demo SE input from the Solo as oppose to full balance As a result, I can only give some general or gross responsible impressions. I did feel there is some serious potential to the MKIII. I was very impressed with the fact that ALO can improve the MKIII to the SR71b level which I consider as no small feast and I told Ken that. I will wait for the final version to come out and do another comparison before I draw my conclusion as I know they are still doing some final tweeting.

One thing I do want to comment on is that I don't think the sound signature is that similar to the MKII even though Ken indicated that the design is similar to MKII with the exception of having 8 opamps. To me the change from SE design to balance design necessitate the change in sound signature in at least three areas: noise level, soundstage, and dynamics. Just based on that alone, the too versions are different enough for me very much like the SR71a and SR71b.

One last thoughts I have on the MKIII is that when judging a high end power balance portable the likes of MKIII, SR71b, and PB2 etc, one must use a good pair of Iem as well as a good pair of full size headphone. I have come to know that if you only use one type of phone you may draw a conclusion that may end up surprise you when a different type of phone is used. To me the full size phone frequently will mask slight or minor imperfection that a good iem monitor like the jh13 will reveal but by using only iem to test may also result in misjudging how full size amp will sound.

When Ken said that the MKIII is the most difficult project he has done, meaning more difficult than the Solo, I knew he has put a lot of effort into this project and has high hope for it. Above all, I hope and know that the success of the MKIII also hinges on the availability of a balance input source that the Solo is sorely needed. So there you have it Ken and David, just give us a balance dual Dac/dual channel Solo,and we will buy the MKIII :wink:

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #53 of 252
Thank you Jalo for your more detailed input in this whole thing. It makes it even harder for me to decide now. ~_~

I read somewhere that there was not going to be a balanced CLAS coming, according to Ken.
Hopefully there will be another means for balanced input, otherwise, I fear the RSA's balanced DAC with the SR71B will be the reigning 'choice' of the "ideal" balanced portable rig, even if the MKIII final version beats the SR71B.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #54 of 252
Thanks for this info Jalo,
I'm in the same boat as you Girls Gen, I was sitting with my finger on the trigger to 're-buy' the Solo+SR71B combo when I was chatting with Matt from UM and he mentioned he'd heard the MKIII and to have a look at it.

Now I'm not so sure... Waiting until January wasn't what I had in mind, but by the sounds of things, it could certainly be worth the wait.

As for a Balanced CLAS. This would surely sell like hotcakes... I personally would pre-order that and the MKIII right this moment if it were possible/coming/true.

Ken, are you able to confirm or deny the possible existence of a balanced CLAS to partner the MKIII?

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #56 of 252
It looks nice! Any info on release date Ken? Can it drive full-size headphones like LCD-2 and HE500 to a satisfying level?

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #57 of 252
Why am I picturing Homer Simson drooling over the Venus De Milo Gummy bear?  Hmmmm must have....

I have my Whiplash TWag with the RSA balanced connector all ready and waiting.

ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
More Photos... 

We are looking to shorten the knobs.

Ken

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #58 of 252
Ive just sold my SR-71a to buy the SR-71b.. but now Im not sure.. its the Jan release date thats putting me off... wish it was out now

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #59 of 252
Jan will come around very quickly.  A few Christmas parties and some public holidays and it will be Rx3 time.  

Has a date of release been set?

I am more concerned about price?

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #60 of 252
$650 US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back