NEW! AKG K812
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #511 of 990
  It took 5 years to AKG to put out a flagship to compete with the HD800 but most likely Sennheiser will launch a new flagship soon and it will take AKG another 5 years to release a 'me two' product of senn new flagship.

It can be looked at from the other perspective also. Sennheiser departed from their traditional HD600/HD650 sound signature to compete with AKG. Considering how long it took Sennheiser to Launch the HD800 from the HD600 (omitting HD650 as it is a different flavour), 5 years development is quite short. It is a never ending battle of the flagships
confused_face(1).gif
.  But I guess  this is the long awaited flagship since the K1000 which makes this more exciting and much longer wait. Hope AKG doesn't disappoint.

So far very impressed with the sensitivity ratings of the headphone. Even if AKG manages to match the technical capabilities of HD800, I think they have a better product sonically.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #512 of 990
  It took 5 years to AKG to put out a flagship to compete with the HD800 but most likely Sennheiser will launch a new flagship soon and it will take AKG another 5 years to release a 'me two' product of senn new flagship.

I think we'll be waiting a while yet for Sennheiser to bring out another flagship. It took longer to design the HD800 than it has been out! It's 5 year old this coming January and it has been more popular this last year than it has ever been. More popular, because not only are more peeps splashing out on the high prices now. But also because the HD800 was a 'grower' when it first came out. The transparency it offered was a little too much for a lot of folks who had been used to the musical and velvety cushion that was the previous flag. A lot of folks have gone back to it as their gear has improved it seems.
As more competitors come out to play then the bigger the chance that the Senn's may lose their current crown. But there is still nothing at the mo... Not below $3000 anyway.

Sennheiser released the HD700 for the mp3 crowd that offered supposedly high end sound with similar technology as the hd800 that didn't have the high impedance so it could be driven by the new batch of hp amps that had next to zero impedance output. The AKG's are cashing in on this crowd for sure with this release. This is my own personal niggle. The lower impedance of the K812. Peeps who buy summit fi hp's (generally) have very good amplifiers and a lot of these high end amps are tube based. Looks like the AKG's may only play well with ss amps with very low impedance. Most folks who already own the HD800's may not take the risk of buying this hp because their amps will be no good.

Can't blame them though, low impedance is sort after now as more and more peeps use portable rigs and little desktop amps. Hp's are very sensitive these days. They need to toughen up if you ask me... There's a lot of powerful amps out there in the real world! 
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #514 of 990
ES is another beast. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #516 of 990

Wow.

Yeah, why bother competing with Sennheiser - AKG, Beyerdynamic, and hell, even Audeze should just close shop...because Sennheiser might release a new flagship.  I suppose that Stax are the only ones that have a fighting chance, right?   Or would they also be accused of releasing a 'me too' product if they develop a headphone after that magical new Sennheiser flagship you talk about? 
blink.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #517 of 990
I don't think Sennheiser will release new flagship. Or actually they did, changing signature of HD 800.

I cannot be sure, but I would say AKG with K812 is going for a little bit different territory than HD 800. Maybe something closer to T1? And if Sennheiser didn't release anything new because of T1 then why they should release something because of K812?

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #518 of 990
I don't think Sennheiser will release new flagship. Or actually they did, changing signature of HD 800.

I cannot be sure, but I would say AKG with K812 is going for a little bit different territory than HD 800. Maybe something closer to T1? And if Sennheiser didn't release anything new because of T1 then why they should release something because of K812?
you will see that in the next 3-4 months!regards nomax

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #519 of 990

I will see new Sennheiser or how K812 sounds like? If I may be honest, I would not like to. If they will be really good balanced and not bass heavy (like K712) it will be hard to resist for me to not buy them. And I am already worried about my wallet after HD 800.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #520 of 990

So are you saying that the K812 is going to be so good, that Sennheiser is bringing out a new flagship in order to compete?

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #521 of 990
Come on, people. Do you really think that Sennheiser has been sleeping all these years and not doing/researching anything? They massively stocked up on engineers and expertise in the last few years. They don't come up with a new flagship just because AKG releases the K812, and especially they don't release a product in a few months starting today.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #522 of 990
So are you saying that the K812 is going to be so good, that Sennheiser is bringing out a new flagship in order to compete?
yes the k812 Sounds very Good! And the answer will follow from sennheiser in few months!you will see!regards

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #524 of 990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back