New 6GB iPod Mini has 18 Hour Battery Life
Feb 23, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 27
it is most likely just a better upgrade. will know when ipoding dissects it
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon
Are no iPod owners getting annoyed at the fact that you are constantly bombarded with iPods with slight upgrades (colour screens, longer battery etc), meaning just more hassle of getting rid of the old one, losing more money, and time spent keeping up with their minimal upgrades?

I'm a little ticked off by that since I just bought a Shuffle about 3 weeks ago and now I can get a 4GB Mini with 4X the space, and 18-hr battery life for 50 bucks more. But I'm not really losing any money, since I still have a day or two to take the Shuffle back and get my $ back with no loss before I'm past the 30 day return policy.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I'm a little ticked off by that since I just bought a Shuffle about 3 weeks ago and now I can get a 4GB Mini with 4X the space, and 18-hr battery life for 50 bucks more. But I'm not really losing any money, since I still have a day or two to take the Shuffle back and get my $ back with no loss before I'm past the 30 day return policy.

You can probably put the shuffle on ebay and sell it for more than you paid for it.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Are no iPod owners getting annoyed at the fact that you are constantly bombarded with iPods with slight upgrades (colour screens, longer battery etc), meaning just more hassle of getting rid of the old one, losing more money, and time spent keeping up with their minimal upgrades?

What I posted in another thread ...
I really don't get the 'burned by updates' thing I've heard repeated about the iPod. I saw someone over in the amp forum suggest against the SuperMacro because Xin is always updating so your amp 'is always out of date'. What? Go with another manufacturer because they don't update? Same thing here. It's all psychology. Sure you'd be disappointed if something better came up just after buying, but wouldn't you feel the same way even if it was from a different manufacturer? Except for maybe third party form fitting case makers, why the negative about updates? Apple is getting simultaneously hit by "falling behind" and "too many updates" complaints.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Any one know how the HD3 can achieve a (maximum) 30 hour battery life?

The Sonys have their ATRAC decoding in a dedicated and energy-efficient hardware chip I heart.
And of course, they use less powerful amps then f.i. the ipods (though amp-power alone does not necessarily equals SQ) .

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Can only speak for myself on this, don't know about other owners. I think it's the ultimate power of choice, and doesn't bother me a bit. My first iPod was a mini when they first came out last year...bought another one...sold the first...sold the second...bought a 3G just before the 4Gs came out...was still in the 30-day period and returned it to get the 4G. \stop\ I have been delighted with the 4G.

These incremental changes/improvements announced today are not tugging on the purse strings because I'm satisfied (...for now). The Shuffle never appealed to me as I NEVER use random playback - prefer to listen to complete albums. When a new/updated one comes that offers enough, I may pull the trigger again. You see, I kind of like having the option, and enjoy following along on this incredible, fast-paced obsession.

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
What I posted in another thread ...
I really don't get the 'burned by updates' thing I've heard repeated about the iPod. I saw someone over in the amp forum suggest against the SuperMacro because Xin is always updating so your amp 'is always out of date'. What? Go with another manufacturer because they don't update? Same thing here. It's all psychology. Sure you'd be disappointed if something better came up just after buying, but wouldn't you feel the same way even if it was from a different manufacturer? Except for maybe third party form fitting case makers, why the negative about updates? Apple is getting simultaneously hit by "falling behind" and "too many updates" complaints.

I'm with blessingx on this one. But it should be pointed out that psychology has a lot to do with how we make our luxury item purchases. Through one way or another, Apple has convinced the masses that iPod is the player to buy. If a company knew that they could sell more units by issuing fewer updates to a product line, they would.

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Doesn't bother me in the least, my 4th gen 40gig still plays music, which is what I bought it for.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

There is no contract that states you have to upgrade to the latest model whenever you buy an iPod. The ipod you own will not self-destruct the moment a new model is released. Think of it as buying a car, there will always be a new model the following year. You don't sell off your car and "upgrade" to the newest model every year do you?

Sony has been doing this for years, like clockwork. A new generation of models every year. And their product line is way more diverse than Apple. This is across their md walkmans, cd walkmans, tape walkmans, flash mem walkmans, and their hd walkmans have seen ever more rapid changes. They've released the HD3 quickly following the HD2 which quickly followed the HD1, like all in one year. And the NW-HD# series is not even their only line of hd walkmans. We are also just about to see Sony's 2005 generation of portable electronics (D-NE920, RH10 and all the lower models of their product line).

The only reason people complain about portable electronics is that they are small (so it is no hassle to replace) and they are relatively cheap enough to enable you to sell your old one and buy a new one. Same thing with headphones vs speakers. Headphones are much easier to replace. I also don't know of anyone who sells their car and buys the newest model every year (leasing is another matter maybe, perhaps some electronics manufacturer will devise a similar method in the future).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back