New 6GB iPod Mini has 18 Hour Battery Life
Feb 23, 2005 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
That's quite a significant jump from the rated battery life of the first generation Mini. Now the question for me is, did they have to sacrifice anything, i.e. sound quality or volume power, to achieve this?

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Maybe it just has a higher capacity battery pack? Lithium Poly have been getting greater in capacity (800mah for old ipoo, 1900mah are now available)

wouldn't that increase the weight though?

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 27
Much weaker processor likely. The Rio Carbon packs a slow processor to get 20 hours, and I'm sure the Mini now does the same.

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 27
Assuming it's also a larger battery being used, couldn't the 1st Gen Ipod mini's benefit from one of these batteries being installed. Might not achieve the 18 hours, but I'd be happy with 14 which is double what I'm getting now.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Maybe it just has a higher capacity battery pack?

Now why is there no better battery in the other iPods...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Now why is there no better battery in the other iPods...
rolleyes.gif

Better than what? The original? There are.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Better than what? The original? There are.

Better than 15h on the Photo for example, or better overall. "Up to 15h" means ten with ALAC if you're lucky. Not that that's too bad, I could well live with as little as eight if the iPod did not drain itself while not in use, but the way it is you always have to keep an eye on it, since does not enter the preserving deep-sleep fast enough. I did not run out of juice for a while, but then I sync my iPod almost daily now - but not only for the sync, but to keep the batt up.

In short: Better battery on the "big" models would save hassle, and that is just in line with the philosophy.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Now if they could do something about that "mini" look. I just don't find it the least bit appealing. So unimaginative. Surely they could do something...anything different.

Did you ever really see one and had it in your hand? I didn't for quite a while and had similar thoughts, but when I finally got to grab one a few weeks ago, I would almost not give it back to the nice girl it belonged to.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Now if they could do something about that "mini" look. I just don't find it the least bit appealing. So unimaginative. Surely they could do something...anything different.

Ah, you mean something classier, imaginative, quality-oozing....like....the Karma.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 27
I don't think the mini looks bad, I'd say it looks pretty neutral, not good nor bad.
I think it looks better than the Zen Micro and Karma and Carbo for example, and worse M3 and HD3.
Wish there were better colours though.

Feb 23, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
I don't think the mini looks bad, I'd say it looks pretty neutral, not good nor bad.

oo, they sound And look neutral!

there is no use in arguing whether it looks good or not, everyone has their own opinion. I like the way they look, but i'd also probably like any new look too. I actually like the way the karma looks; I know people think it's ugly, but I really can't see why people think that. Maybe it's like a girl after you've been with her for a long time

on a side note, i just remembered that i dreamt i had the ety er4p's last night. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back