New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Jun 26, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #1,306 of 1,341
Well i have sent my 2.0 to ori to mod for me.I would think his Discrete output mod will raise the dac to a new level in resolution.

Taking the 3 output opamps out ,adding a seperate power supply for analog and new rca's will be nice .Time will tell
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #1,308 of 1,341
i'm a little confused by the plethora of options offered.

what would i go with if i

A. want the DAC section to be 'no-holds-barred'
AND
B. do not care for the headphone amp section?

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #1,309 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
i'm a little confused by the plethora of options offered.

what would i go with if i

A. want the DAC section to be 'no-holds-barred'
AND
B. do not care for the headphone amp section?

If you want no hold bars then buy a 2.0 from eddie just with the power supply and blackgate mod also add the better clock --then send it to ori for the discrete output mod.

If you do not want that then just order one from eddie with all the mods.Just keep the headphone board stock.

Jul 2, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #1,312 of 1,341
I just mailed Eddie Wu with a couple questions about the D2.0. I am considering getting one... Curse you, Head-Fi, indeed.

Anyways, here's a question to those who have one: What dimensions is it? It seems to be deeper than wide, which is pretty unhandy when it comes to stacking it on top of a cd player or the other way around. Sorry if this is allready mentioned, but this thread is massive.

Jul 3, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #1,313 of 1,341
digitalmind: The D2 is (HWD) 7 x 24 x 34 cm.
It's a DAC, so I don't see why you can't lay it sideways...
biggrin.gif

Since you're new to this DAC, consider the caps mod a necessity. For me it's not worth the hassle otherwise.

Jul 3, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #1,314 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
digitalmind: The D2 is (HWD) 7 x 24 x 34 cm.
It's a DAC, so I don't see why you can't lay it sideways...
biggrin.gif

Since you're new to this DAC, consider the caps mod a necessity. For me it's not worth the hassle otherwise.

Thanks. I currently have a rack that fits my cd player perfect, so it'd be a pain to have something longer than it. The rack is closed on the sides, so I can't place it at a 90 degree angle.
frown.gif

I could offcourse ditch the rack (It's nothing fancy), but I allready have enough toys incoming for this month, so I'll stick to my cd players dac for now.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #1,315 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
If you want no hold bars then buy a 2.0 from eddie just with the power supply and blackgate mod also add the better clock --then send it to ori for the discrete output mod.

If you do not want that then just order one from eddie with all the mods.Just keep the headphone board stock.

Well I have not read the entire thread, so please forgive me if this has already been answered. Where on Eddie's site does it mention how to get the "power supply" and "better clock" modification?

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #1,316 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Well I have not read the entire thread, so please forgive me if this has already been answered. Where on Eddie's site does it mention how to get the "power supply" and "better clock" modification?

Just ask eddie for it.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #1,318 of 1,341
There are other dealers.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #1,319 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
There are other dealers.

Lawrence is my supplier.
Details are in this thread I believe.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #1,320 of 1,341
Some here seem to like the dac in the box from eddie.

Honesly i don't think there is anything on the market to compare with the zhaolu at it's price range.Matter of fact i don't think there is much even above it's price range .

(A moment with ori's descete output mod)

The next step up from the stock zhoalu would be ori's descrete mod.Making an already good sounding dac better.

Many months back i played around with the 1.3 in taking the middle opamp out.It increased the dc offset too much but sounded much more transparent.I figured this is what the descete mod may sound like.

The descete mod sounds so much better than i had expected.I have lived with it for a couple of weeks now and it has gotten much better.

Extremey clean detailed sound. Acoustic space of the recording Imaging and transparency are unheard of at any where near this price range.

Very deep soundstage -- Solo voices have a presence and immediacy , with outstanding clarity.

I am encouraged by the fact that this level of musicality is achieved with such a reasonably priced dac.

On the note i am not trying to sell anything nor do i have a vested interest in this -- i am only posting how the sound comes across to me.

Ori has many new zhoalu 2.0 dacs if someone wants to buy a modded unit.It will be the best investment in the hobby you have made so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back