New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Jul 27, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #1,322 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
where can i find out more about this ori's descrete mod?

You could try contacting Ori. Seemed like a cool mod to me when I looked over it. I think it's in prototype stage right now, but maybe I misunderstood him. I don't know what the stock Zhaolu sounds like, so it's hard for me to compare and note the improvement, but his modded zhaolu was fast, as I'd noted in the other thread.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #1,323 of 1,341
Just pm ori.He can fill you in on the details.He is beyond the proto stage now.And i really don't know how long he will continue to do the mod.It seems to be alot of labor and parts for little money.

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #1,324 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
Just pm ori.He can fill you in on the details.He is beyond the proto stage now.And i really don't know how long he will continue to do the mod.It seems to be alot of labor and parts for little money.

Hmm, I dunno. He's using a PCB and it's a basic discrete output stage. Fairly straightforward to make, I'd imagine, given his experience. He also seemed pretty enthusiastic about being able to produce the mod. Have some faith in your buddy ;D

Edit: Although, I guess for it to be a viable business venture it probably isn't that great money wise. I know that if I were to build someone just a basic amp, I'd have to charge more than they'd probably be willing to pay just for me to get minimum wage ($5.15) after all the testing, tweaking, and finishing touches.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #1,327 of 1,341
I Emailed eddie about it... according to him, the super dac has a more "hi-fi" sound than the zhaolu.

In my own interpretation of that statement, this thing could be very detailed, fast, airy and not all that natural sounding... but very "neutral."... but i have no clue how to interpret what eddie says...

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #1,329 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
The DAC in the Box is there but no Super DAC. Eddie says details about the new Dac will be on his site August 12.

He told me this morning that there was a picture there as of today.

having a look, the only new DAC I found was the DAC in the Box. looking at the photos of it, it has "SUPER" on the DAC case.

So I assume that this is the SuperDAC (?)

Unless someone can find another picture. The new SuperDAC was supposed to use BB1796's. The DAC in the box doesnt.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #1,330 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
He told me this morning that there was a picture there as of today.

having a look, the only new DAC I found was the DAC in the Box. looking at the photos of it, it has "SUPER" on the DAC case.

So I assume that this is the SuperDAC (?)

Unless someone can find another picture. The new SuperDAC was supposed to use BB1796's. The DAC in the box doesnt.

look closer, there is a new dac7.2x on his index page.
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.diykits.com.hk/

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #1,331 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
look closer, there is a new dac7.2x on his index page.
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.diykits.com.hk/

Sweet. Well spotted. Nice black case also! (I hate silver boxes)

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #1,333 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
So, this is supposed to be better than Zhaolu2 and use the BB1796? Cool.

No one knows how the BB1796 is going to sound yet.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #1,334 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
No one knows how the BB1796 is going to sound yet.

It has been out a while, and it is in one of the Denon receivers, and im sure other DACS, but I wonder why CIAudio chose the 1794 over it for their VDA2?

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #1,335 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
It has been out a while, and it is in one of the Denon receivers, and im sure other DACS, but I wonder why CIAudio chose the 1794 over it for their VDA2?

I meant for the zhaolu.

It will be interesting to see how well it works in this circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back