New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Nov 10, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #256 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
wow. it's jahn 2.0
biggrin.gif

i wonder if you'll also upgrade to zhaolu....
icon10.gif

Oh, noooooooo! Is anyone bringing a Zhaolu to the NYC meet this Saturday?
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #257 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Nice. I havn't gotten my unit to work yet. This reminds me, I have to email Lawrence again.

Hello lan

Have you figured out what the probem is yet with the modded board?I have been Thoroughly enjoying the tunes of mine.

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #259 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
my friend and I will be ordering the fully upgraded/modded DAC 1.3 from Lawrence today! We will post our impressions when we get it.

Im going to have it setup with A,B,C blind test between emu 0404, and Dac-ah, using headphile silvers, and audioquest diamondbacks.

I cant wait !
icon10.gif

Order has been placed...should ship out to us in a couple days
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #260 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
so ..
at this point .. which is the winning dac / modded dac ?

the jury's still out - the DAC-Ah isn't finished its mods yet, and the Zhao is on the fritz, and the other Zhao owners don't have a modded DAC-AH to compare, so we'll have to wait and see! Even the DAC-AH coming to the NYC meet won't be the completed modded version, and there may be a stock zhao there, but maybe not!

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #261 of 1,341
They are different flavors. It depends on your preferences.

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #262 of 1,341
I contacted Lawrence about the heaphone stage and he said there is an headphone section upgrade for $75, I am wondering if it's worth it.

He says that this upgraded PCB uses 2SK214 , 2SJ77 MOS FET for output.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #263 of 1,341
kool a headphone upgrade in zhalou! wish i knew about that before, but im not sure it will be worth an extra 75....but still would be fun to have a listen.

If im still not satisfied with the synergy of the modded zhalou (when i get it). I will most likey do the DAC-ah mod soon after! heh. and post my impressions. Hopefully I'll have the akg k701s/PPx3 SLaM by then too!
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #264 of 1,341
I have ordered the headphone upgrade from Lawerence
icon10.gif

Once installed I will post my findings here.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #265 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmysilvers
I have ordered the headphone upgrade from Lawerence
icon10.gif

Once installed I will post my findings here.

not to be mean, but maybe a $75 Go-Vibe would serve better than trying to make the headphone out of the Zhao servicable? I mean, it's a DAC - you can thread it to an amp!
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #266 of 1,341
Quote:

not to be mean, but maybe a $75 Go-Vibe would serve better than trying to make the headphone out of the Zhao servicable? I mean, it's a DAC - you can thread it to an amp!

You could well be correct, but I will give the upgrade a go.

I maybe was mistaking under the impression that for home listening an headphone amp is going to be a lot more than $70, so I thought the Zhao upgrade was worth the risk.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #267 of 1,341
Some DACs have very good headphone outs integrated - like the Benchmark DAC and the Apogee DAC. But then again, those are $1K DACs hehe. I admit to not grooving on the Grace m902 sound, but its headphone out gave a faithful rep of its output. At a pricey cost too hehe. Otherwise I'd say instead of trying to make an integrated headphone amp work, you should get a dedicated external amp to go with your DAC. Even $150 will get you a nifty DIY home amp like a Pimeta that will sound better than the Zhao imho. That Zhao headphone out just wasn't cutting it for me, and honestly I liked the Go-Vibe better - and instead of spending another 75 on an upgrade, well, now you know my opinion! (just imho of course!)

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #268 of 1,341
You need to factor in the cost of the interconnect too though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #269 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
You need to factor in the cost of the interconnect too though
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha true! But I've found that my magwires RCA-to-mini cable was a worthwhile investment at $25, and has been going strong for over a year- best cash spent that i can point to and say "there it is!"
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #270 of 1,341
For the ones that purchased this dac and did not know--installing an iec or using an ice adapter is a must! I have seen the ice adapter on audiogon new for $25.Being able to use different powercords makes a Dramatic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back