New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Jan 15, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #361 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Hi,

I was fairly impressed by price and what is offered for it. I found Mr. Chen very helpful. He announced the shipping for Tuesday.
biggrin.gif

Lets see how it will perform

You can have it before the weekend! Just burn in and enjoy!

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #363 of 1,341
what do you guys think about replacing the non-polarized c7 adapter with a c14 IEC one??

can this be done without too much hassle?

when ever I try different adapters in the c7 I feel like i am losing something and go back to stock cord. I may try a vh audio cord first....

like a flavor 3? anyone try the flavor 3 yet on Zhalou?

what power cords have you tried on the Zhalou?

Jan 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #364 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
what do you guys think about replacing the non-polarized c7 adapter with a c14 IEC one??

can this be done without too much hassle?

when ever I try different adapters in the c7 I feel like i am losing something and go back to stock cord. I may try a vh audio cord first....

like a flavor 3? anyone try the flavor 3 yet on Zhalou?

what power cords have you tried on the Zhalou?

Ofcourse i use an ice adapter so i can use any 3 prong power cord.I have some super highend retail cords here and several i made myself.They do make a difference--some better than others.

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #365 of 1,341
Roger , did you notice the ice adapter being able to fit ok in the zhalou?

i tried a more generic adapter that looks identical to ICE and i had to cut off some of the tip of it so it would contact properly in theZhalou....

do you find it hard to push the ICE into the c7 on the Zhalou at all>?

if not Imma order one right now!

Jan 16, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #366 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
Roger , did you notice the ice adapter being able to fit ok in the zhalou?

i tried a more generic adapter that looks identical to ICE and i had to cut off some of the tip of it so it would contact properly in theZhalou....

do you find it hard to push the ICE into the c7 on the Zhalou at all>?

if not Imma order one right now!

I had forgotten where this guy's site was ,but he sent me a x-mis e-mail so now i know.

http://www.audiopartsinc.com/XPORT.HTM

This is what i am using also.Great price.This seems to fit just fine---of course some of it is sticking out ,but i put some support under it so some of my heavy powercords can work just fine.May already be the same thing you have.

Jan 16, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #367 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
I had forgotten where this guy's site was ,but he sent me a x-mis e-mail so now i know.

http://www.audiopartsinc.com/XPORT.HTM

This is what i am using also.Great price.

Thanks for the link!
In the bigger housing that I am ordering at the end of the month I will have a 3-prong c14 contact (with fuse I guess). Maybe it is another reason to switch?

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #368 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
I have a unit coming to me via a contact in China (not Lawrence) and it will have the upgraded headphone amp upgrade option only.

[....]

I'll let you guys know how the headphone amp upgrade sounds. Looks pretty nice, it's an all discrete design:

10.jpg

So did you receive you Zhaolu DAC yet?
If so: how does the upgraded headphone amp sound?
Did anyone compare to the stock headphone amp?
Please post your experiences.

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #369 of 1,341
Yeah,
I ordered it with the complete upgrades (but w/o the headphone update that has to be left out for the power supply upgrade to the words of Mr. Chen).

I will report how the sound is after some burn in time and testing

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #370 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Yeah,
I ordered it with the complete upgrades (but w/o the headphone update that has to be left out for the power supply upgrade to the words of Mr. Chen).

I will report how the sound is after some burn in time and testing

awesome make sure to give it at least 160 hours!!! for the final opinions rendered.

you got the 1ppm clock?

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #372 of 1,341
Hello

What is your opinion on the new 1ppm clock upgrade for the dac.I have been so busy lately i have not really had a change to sit and listen.I do notice though a little cleaner sound--maybe more Ambience.But i am not sure of the breakend time the clock would need.

Also lawrence has a powercord adapter that is very similar to the ice and a very good price.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #373 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
Hello

I have not had a chance to really listen to the dac and i have limited info on it.Just got it in from china yesterday.It cost me 243$ total shipped postal air--i had it in 3 days.

The genelman that sells this --i believe is some sort of dealer/ Manufacturer.He does not have a web page that i know of.A friend of mine has been buying from him for over a year.He seems to love listening to music as much as we do.

The dac has optical ,XLR, digital and rca outputs--i don't know if they are balanced yet.Waiting on his return e-mail.
Here are some specs

It use Crystal 24BIT CS8414 receiver and NEW model ANALOG DEVICE AD 1852 24/192 DAC .
Output use OPA2604 .
S/N 120dB
THD 120dB
Frequency range 20Hz--22K Hz ( + - 1dB )

I believe it is a small company in china making these.He has to put a special order in to get 110V.

Is this the Zhaolu 1.3 we are all still talking about? (that started this thread) Or is it a new DAC from Zhaolu?
Ive 'rewound' a few pages in this discussion and still cant figure it out.

And has anyone compared it to a fully modded DAC-Ah, or a Benchmark, or even to the new Channel Islands VDA2 (that doesnt cost that much more than a fully modded Zhaolu...)

I would love to see such comparisons.

Edit: Oh and how has the bass and dynamics of the Zhaolu changed with all of the mods and a good break-in?

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #374 of 1,341
Hi,
we are still talking on the 1.3 Version of the DAC. In my case with the complete modding options Mr. Chen (Lawrence) offers.
I was informed that the DAC shipped out yesterday and will hopefully appear at my place within the week.
THe dac due to Mr. Chen has played for about two days. I will give it a try and report on how it sounds after some serious burn in.

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #375 of 1,341
My DAC board is on its way to Hongkong right now due to a loose stut in the case.
confused.gif

But...
When the DAC board is indeed faulty the new stuff will be back in the bigger case (improved headphone amp, 1ppm clock, DAC) so I only have to connect the power stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back