New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Jan 14, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #346 of 1,341
yeh in the second pic u can see the dy2000 on the big red board... its a different color then the other two on that board.. the one in middle.

I just started listening so Ill prbly post my impressions end of day today.!

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #347 of 1,341
here is a better shot for when u install the dy2000....

the other 2 opamps next to it are for the xlr balanced.
something which i plan on trying out! (need 2 more dy2000 tho.. heh)

img14799sx.jpg

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #349 of 1,341
this is on the upgraded power supply board...

does anyone know what this socketed chip does?!?!

wondering about possibility of changing it....

img15015mo.jpg

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #351 of 1,341
and finally a pic of the larger nichion caps on the upgraded power supply board.

there are a total of three of these on this board.

img14942dm.jpg

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #354 of 1,341
Nice pictures TigzStudio .I did replace the 3 nichicons with rubycons.The ruby's are taller so i had to work a little harder to make them fit.It was a noticable improvement.Now this was on the new power supply board.

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #355 of 1,341
lol how you make it fit roger? the nichion already almost touch the top of the case!!! hehehe.. I totally want to try replacing the caps...

what improvement did you notice .. just everything overall??

also how did you go about de-soldering and soldering the new ones on? what type solder did you use?

thanks!!!

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #356 of 1,341
Great pics!
They show how full the housing is after the mods.
I hope I can work out a deal with Lawrence for a bigger case so I can also use the improved headphone amp.
NE5534 is an opamp, see http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ne5534.html for info. Dunno how it interacts in the PSU.

I see the 1ppm clock is temperature controlled, wow!

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #357 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
lol how you make it fit roger? the nichion already almost touch the top of the case!!! hehehe.. I totally want to try replacing the caps...

what improvement did you notice .. just everything overall??

also how did you go about de-soldering and soldering the new ones on? what type solder did you use?

thanks!!!

It was not any easy task with minimal improvement.The bass has better Definition now--more tight.

I purchased the caps from reference mods
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...gory_Code=RUBY

But they are tall and i had to bend the caps over a little to fit.The board is held down with some plastic pegs that are another pain to mess with.I put soundcoat material under the board before i put it back in--did away with the plastic pegs to use extra heavy duty double sided tape.Now the board is secure and added benfit of being very well dampened.I just hope i don't have to take the board back out------

Be very careful now--ware cloth gloves not to pass a static discharge.

Also using souncoat meterial throughout the dac has improved the sound.Feels very solid now.

regards

By the way--i just use radio shack 4% silver solder----it's cheap and sounds good.

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #358 of 1,341
If you get a new housing for the Zhaolu DAC to make room for the headphone amp you can choose a case which is higher, the caps will fit easily then.

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #359 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
It was not any easy task with minimal improvement.The bass has better Definition now--more tight.

I purchased the caps from reference mods
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...gory_Code=RUBY

Thnaks for the link. What is the technical difference between Rubycon and Nichicon capacitors?
Would replacing by bigger capacity help? I see the max. voltage goes down when cpaacity increases from 2200 uF up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back