New 2009 iPod Touch 3G 64GB mini frustrated review
Sep 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #61 of 103
I agree the OP needs to try a different unit. Likewise I agree he may still not like the SQ.

Even the best DAPs or any gear don't sound the same as each other. People have different preferences.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #62 of 103
FWIW, I tested my iPod 5.5 vs. my MBP (Unibody, 2.8 Ghz) vs. my iPod Touch 3G using my Klipsch Image X10's - all via the headphone output.

I cannot really distinguish the MBP from the 5.5.

But I can tell the Touch from the other 2. It's a subtle thing, but it just seems lack either dynamic range or 'punch'. I remember reading that distortion is the enemy of tightness, maybe this is it - more distortion. Certainly, they have a smaller package to work with for the audio out / amp section.

It's a strange thing. On one hand I do have to listen close to detect a difference, but on the other hand, after an hour of listening to the 'Touch' I feel, well, "bleh" - and I feel good going back to the 5.5.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the OP needs to try a different unit. Likewise I agree he may still not like the SQ.

Even the best DAPs or any gear don't sound the same as each other. People have different preferences.

x2

Companies don't tend to release products that are terrible because it's not a good business decision (meaning they probably wouldn't turn a profit). When something like the original poster's situation happens, it's probably a lemon. I'm mainly basing this off of the comments on the battery life and the LCD. However, the battery comment may be moot depending on the user's habits (e.g. screen brightness etc, although looking at Apple's test conditions they're pretty tough on battery).

In any case, as the EPA said it, "your mileage may vary."

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #64 of 103
peoples' finding are really interesting. with my itouch 3rd gen, i find that there is bass that yes lack some dynamic, but more important i find the mid and highs to be very lacking even when i use my re0 with it.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #66 of 103
Great - another thread where no-one can agree on whether the 2G Touch is a good or bad thing. Finally found a store where they had taken the time to put some music on one of these over the weekend, and I didnt have my IEMs with me - frustrating. That said, I have no regrets on paying the extra for my Sony X1060 : as an audio-only device (I dont bother with vids), I think its superb.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #67 of 103
A little off topic, but I have a question for you guys who have a 3rd gen touch: Did it come with a cleaning cloth like the 2nd gen did?? Or is it just my package that's missing the cleaning cloth??

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #68 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
peoples' finding are really interesting. with my itouch 3rd gen, i find that there is bass that yes lack some dynamic, but more important i find the mid and highs to be very lacking even when i use my re0 with it.

you might just prefer a different flavour of dap. in the grand scheme, high end daps don't sound that different from each other, but the ipod touch does have a few things going for it: you may not like its bass, but it has no roll off at all, unlike every other player out there except sony and the new cliks and fuze from sansa.

it also will separate stereo far better than about 98% of players out there when driving low ohm phones, which is hard to do. the re0 may just not jive with the touch, or your preference is probably just for a different player. but, as for actual sound quality, the touch is a good device.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #69 of 103
I've been using my touch 3g for 2 weeks now and have really enjoyed using it.

iTunes kinda sucks from time to time, can relly slow a reasonably fast computer down.

I paired my touch with a iBasso T1(very small) and use KCS75 and PK3, AL Backbeat Pro with it.

IMHO: The iPod Touch 64GB is an awsome little device.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #70 of 103
lol, I knew this thread would be a waste of time. the haters need to grow up and what was with my brother from perth and all the language?? dude seriously it makes you look like a moron who cant put 2 intelligent words together. I would take a look at that if I were you. no-one will ever ever take your opinion at all seriously and with the vitriol it was written with; you would think that apple stole one of your chocolate crackles or something. grow up dude!!!

and yeah check sig, Mac at home, rockboxed and modded ipods, hacked iphone, but primary dap is iriver. so dont even try to put a fanboi tag on me. there is no question apple rules the roost and there marketing machine is not the sole reason

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little off topic, but I have a question for you guys who have a 3rd gen touch: Did it come with a cleaning cloth like the 2nd gen did?? Or is it just my package that's missing the cleaning cloth??

I'm in UK. No cloth with my 64GB 3G either but there was with my 2G.

Not a deal breaker
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #72 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might just prefer a different flavour of dap. in the grand scheme, high end daps don't sound that different from each other, but the ipod touch does have a few things going for it: you may not like its bass, but it has no roll off at all, unlike every other player out there except sony and the new cliks and fuze from sansa.

it also will separate stereo far better than about 98% of players out there when driving low ohm phones, which is hard to do. the re0 may just not jive with the touch, or your preference is probably just for a different player. but, as for actual sound quality, the touch is a good device.

well i had an itouch 2nd gen, which i had absolutely no problem with the sound. just that it got misplaced or stolen, so i went for the 3rd gen since it was just released. comparing the two, i can definitely hear a difference even just based off memory. the 2nd gen had way more dynamics, had more highs, and definitely more transparency and soundstage. the 3rd gen sounds as though it has bloated bass, loss of high, muffled mids, and definitely notice a big loss in dynamics. when listening to instrumentals, the grand openings have seriously lost its dynamic and sounded disappointing in fact.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great - another thread where no-one can agree on whether the 2G Touch is a good or bad thing. ....

A lot of those don't have a 2G or haven't listened to it. Funny that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back