New 2009 iPod Touch 3G 64GB mini frustrated review
Sep 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #16 of 103
I just got a 3G 32GB Touch. Using KSC-75's straight from the headphone out jack. To my untrained ears the combo sounds GREAT!
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #17 of 103
Just to clear a few things up, I have tried every EQ on the iPod Touch and found the 'Trebel Booster' to be the only half decent one as it sounds the best for me, but for my tests the EQ was turned off. I'm really not a fan of using EQ settings in general. Despite the EQ making a small improvement, I didn't feel it was improved enough. Personally I found my original 1G Touch sounded better over the 3rd G. When using the Sansa Clip the EQ was off at all times, which sounded great.

I have compared the screen to the 3Gs from a mate in works and there is a difference, his whites are more white and definitely looked less dull. I did compare this to my friends 16GB 2G which looked as bad as mine. Judging by what I've been reading on these posts it seems to be luck of the draw...

One thing I should've pointed out was I tried the Sony X Series in the Sony Centre for a quick comparison and really there is no contest (I should've brought the iPod back straight away) however I wasn't too keen on the Sony's touch screen and navigation (picky, i know). The yellow tint is big time noticeable when compared to the Sony's OLED screen (naturally) but even my 1G Touch's screen was more colour-accurate.

Yes I did use a lot of apps the first day I got it (eBuddy, Facebook, Crash Kart, SMB etc) and I did do some internet browsing which I understand did cause the battery to drain so quickly. But now I am mainly using it for music and I'm still found very slightly disappointed with the performance. As leveller1642 pointed out it probably needs another good few cycles in it before it reaches the advertised 30 hours.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ask again here to, are most of you using the headphone out or the line out because generally with ipods the sound quality was night and day going with line out(this is one advantage of having a portable headphone amp). I haven't even used my touch for music because the line out dock is different than the normal ipods, thus i have no way to even compare, just assumed that most were using LODs until I asked on another thread and got shot down, (seemed that all used the HD out and that it was a ridiculous question or something).

I use headphone out. Don't see much point in going through the trouble of using the LOD when I am already happy with what I am hearing.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 103
Apple or Ipod will never ever improve on their SQ and they simply dont want to, why because SQ is not their game, simple. They are out there simply for big profits and to rip people off with their crap they produce, over rated **** !!! Its amazing how every other MP3 has beaten Apple/Ipod to their game when it comes to SQ. As I said simply they just dont give a **** about their products but to please these fanboys that walk around with their stupid looking pathetic Ipod fuzzy wuzzy earbuds must think they look cool. These lot have wooden ears who know Jack **** about good SQ.

Mate do yourself a favour, use that pathetic Ipod as a door stopper and get a Cowon S9, simple. Ow wait for the Creative Zii to come out.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple or Ipod will never ever improve on their SQ and they simply dont want to, why because SQ is not their game, simple. They are out there simply for big profits and to rip people off with their crap they produce, over rated **** !!! Its amazing how every other MP3 has beaten Apple/Ipod to their game when it comes to SQ. As I said simply they just dont give a **** about their products but to please these fanboys that walk around with their stupid looking pathetic Ipod fuzzy wuzzy earbuds must think they look cool. These lot have wooden ears who know Jack **** about good SQ.

Mate do yourself a favour, use that pathetic Ipod as a door stopper and get a Cowon S9, simple. Ow wait for the Creative Zii to come out.

Dude, just stop. You're making a fool of yourself.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 103
I do appreciate there is quite a lot of hate for Apple. I by no means hate them but really have noticed a decline in their standards (ie LCDs) and lackluster "innovation" recently. It's a pity because I really wanted to like this new iPod but can't bring myself to do so.

Anyway, have any of you guys used/heard the Samsung YP-P3 player? I think I might give it a go despite having to take a storage drop (64>32GB). Any thoughts on the usability and sound quality? Or any recommendations for another PMP altogether? I know Albinoni (and many other Head-Fi'ers alike) are big into the Cowon S9. Thoughts??

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnThePage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do appreciate there is quite a lot of hate for Apple. I by no means hate them but really have noticed a decline in their standards (ie LCDs) and lackluster "innovation" recently. It's a pity because I really wanted to like this new iPod but can't bring myself to do so.

It does seem that a lot of the newer registered members tend to hate Apple and iPods. I'm quite satisfied with my 64gb Touch. It's the first time I've ever used a Touch, and my first iPod since I owned and sold my 5.5G 80gb iPod Video. The thought of the screen looking a bit yellow never crossed my mind initially, and even checking now it seems quite fine to me. ILounge.com did a comparison between the screens on the 2G and the 3G Touch and they have said that the 2G seemed more yellow to them while the 3G was "closer to a neutral white."

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images...screens/11.jpg

As far as SQ goes, I have to disagree with your opinion and everything you described about the sound. lol literally everything.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have seen many Apple haters but you just set a new standard

Needless to say what you said is total BS

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #24 of 103
I may make a trip to a local reseller (but absolutely will not buy the 32GB machine for the 400-450$ that this economy sells it at) to see if anything has changed. The problem of course is that even if it has, I don't listen to the music that comes standard in Apple's demo units so I might be missing out on the subtle nuances of either crap new sound, or good turn of events.

The iPod touch usually uses sub par screens when compared to the iPhone, but who knows, maybe Apple have upped the quality of that. As for sound, it is best... I realise to just forget even mentioning it at head fi as more and more, it isn't about the sound, but about the brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does seem that a lot of the newer registered members tend to hate Apple and iPods. I'm quite satisfied with my 64gb Touch. It's the first time I've ever used a Touch, and my first iPod since I owned and sold my 5.5G 80gb iPod Video. The thought of the screen looking a bit yellow never crossed my mind initially, and even checking now it seems quite fine to me. ILounge.com did a comparison between the screens on the 2G and the 3G Touch and they have said that the 2G seemed more yellow to them while the 3G was "closer to a neutral white."

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images...screens/11.jpg

As far as SQ goes, I have to disagree with your opinion and everything you described about the sound. lol literally everything.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod touch usually uses sub par screens when compared to the iPhone, but who knows, maybe Apple have upped the quality of that. As for sound, it is best... I realise to just forget even mentioning it at head fi as more and more, it isn't about the sound, but about the brand.

I don't remember whether it was Gizmodo, Engadget or Crave but one of the did a display comparison between 2G and 3G and they concluded that the screen has noticeably increased from the previous gen. They also had a screen shot of the two and it looked better in the picture too. I didn't check to see if iphone screen is better/worse than 2G but I would assume that the 3rd gen touch's screen is better than the iphone, compared to 3G at least.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 103
That would be nice. My touch 2G has washed out blacks in comparison to my mate's 3G and the 3GS, but like I said, the best I have seen of the 3G iPod touch is its advertising page at apple.com.

I am around Cowon S9 every day! Nice, curved player that a lot of audio junkies have here. That player has a nicer screen than my touch, no guesses.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 103
Nothing wrong with the screen on my 64GB Touch. Looks identical to the 3GS iPhones in the Apple Store.

I'm going to stop responding to these Apple haters - they either don't understand SQ or are just stirring things for a response.

Wonder if these people are part of Microsft ZuneHD marketing to try and convince people iPods are crap!

Fortunately, I go by my ears and the feedback from long established members on this forum who buy the kit and try the kit be it players or earphones.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life should improve after a half dozen or so cycles.

Maybe you'll get to appreciate the sound after you become accustomed to it.

Why would anyone want to be accustomed to something that sounds crappy?

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does seem that a lot of the newer registered members tend to hate Apple and iPods.

Well, i'm registered nearly for a year, i'm using an ipod video for a half of year, and i hate apple and ipods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back