never mind, I think I got it figured out
Feb 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
(This may get a little nerdy, but my name's goldenratiophi for cryin' out loud!)

Anyway, first some background information. This will probably sound pretty brag-y, but I can't really help it:

The American Mathematical Competitions are a chain of high school math competitions. Out of all the math competitions, the AMCs are by far the most prestigious and most important in high school. The chain goes like this: the highest scorers on the AMC12 take the American Invitational Math Exam (AIME). The highest scorers on that take the USA Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO). The top 20-ish scorers in 11th grade and below go to Math Olympiad Summer Program (MOSP), as do the overall top 12 and a number of freshmen. Out of the top 12, 6 are chosen to represent the USA in the International Math Olympiad (IMO).

I've participated in these competitions throughout my entire middle and high school career. In 9th grade I made it to MOSP, in 10th grade I missed by 1 or 2 points (not very much), and up until today I had high hopes of going this year.

Now:

For many many years my school has sent its top 4 students in our 11th grade economics class to the Ohio Economics Challenge, which basically has tests on microeconomics, macroeconomics, and international trade. North Ridgeville has always done pretty well in it - in fact, my brother's team got 3rd place - but we've never gotten a first place team, and only the first place team from each state goes to regionals in Chicago (and possibly nationals). Somehow today my team got first place at state by quite a wide margin, and I was the first place individual. So my economics teacher thinks we really have a good chance at regionals this year.

The dilemma: both the USAMO and regionals for the economics challenge occur on April 29th. Neither has an alternate date. I emailed the people at the Mathematical Association of America to see if I can take the test slightly earlier or slightly later, but I'm pretty sure they won't let me due to the chance that I would leak the problems.

So I can either:
- take the USAMO for a very good chance at MOSP while letting down some of my best high school friends in their only shot at regionals
OR
- go to Chicago with my economics team and miss probably my last chance at MOSP (as I'm pretty sure I won't make top 12 next year)

I know the second choice is better (and the one I will probably do) since I couldn't stand to see my friends compete with an incomplete team (lose), but I really can't cope giving up either since I have invested many many hours (and in the math case, years) in these.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 11
It comes down to two questions:

Which do you feel more confident in - Math or Economics?
Which do you like better - Math or Economics?

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 11
Flip a coin and stick with the decision.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 11
zotjen seems to have hit it right on the mark. It all comes down to which you feel more confident about doing well in and which one appeals to you more.

Tough decision, but it sounds like you take the math competitions very seriously and have been throughout middle school and higher. If it was me in that bind, I think that I'd sincerely regret not trying to do well at my last chance.

I say go with the math competition. I think you'll regret missing the econ competition a bit less than you would missing the math one.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 11
Obviously you have a talent when it comes to writing math competitions, I've done a few myself, but only because I wanted to attend the university that set them and study math there, and not for fun/prestige.

Being in NA, when you go to college you will have a chance to be on your university's team for the Putnam competition, which is pretty prestigious as things go! So there's your chance to compete in the future, and with that, go ahead and support your colleagues and your school at the econ contest.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 11
Which do you plan to study when you go to college? if you're gonna go anything business related, winning a prestigious economic award looks rather awesome. Any businesses that are hiring would surely, at least, pause at that.

Think long term benefits! Which will benefit you the most in a future career?

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 11
College: I really don't know. I'm planning on majoring in math and something else. My work with the economics dept. at my school has been very inspiring though, and I've really grown to love economics, so who knows? As far as "what looks good on a college app" - I think winning x math competitions and an economics competition is better than just winning x+1 math competitions.

Thanks for bringing up Putnam. I totally forgot about it during my rant - it's not like missing the AMCs is the end of math competitions.

Which one am I more confident in? Math, definitely. Which one am I more interested in? Math edges out in the long run, but economics is new and exciting for me.

I guess either choice could benefit me but it's still pretty disappointing that I have to choose.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 11
How about telling your econ team what's up and asking them what they think you should do? You don't have to let them choose, but they should know and you should listen to them.

Also, don't give up on trying to do both. Tell some counselors and teachers at school and see if they can pull some strings. You never know who might have the right connection.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for your help everybody! I quit panicking and thought about it some more and discovered that, since neither choice has a particularly huge long term effect on my life, and the fact that I've already been to MOSP, it would make more sense to go with the economics this time for: a. new experience (career opportunity also? hmmm) and b. the sake of my teammates

I'm satisfied with that answer - problem solved! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back