Never had closed-back headphones--suggestions?
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

KaiFi

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been an audiophile for that long, and I'll admit that I'm still fairly new to all of this. While I've tried like 10 different DACs and amps in the past year, I've really only had one pair of headphones for 4 years. I had Sennheiser HD 598 for three years, then when they broke I bought the HD 599, which is basically the same thing. I love the sound of these headphones and I love how comfortable they are. I listen mostly to classical music and I use a Schiit stack. But I'm ready to try something different.

The main problem now is that I'm finding open-back headphones to be a pain. In the summer, especially, I can't listen to music much because I can't leave the window closed (gets way too hot in my room), but I need to close the window to listen to music because I hear the busy road outside through my open-back headphones if I don't. Plus I can't listen to music in the library with open-back headphones and I spend a lot of time in the library.

So I really want to try closed-back headphones. I've never had any. How can I get closed-back headphones that approximate the quality of the Sennheisers I've been using (I'm not asking for the same sound signature, but in the same league at least, and good with classical. In general I prefer a warm signature to a bright one)? I've heard that getting good closed-back headphones requires more money than getting good open-back ones. Seeing as how I've never spent more than $300 on headphones, I'd rather not go above $1000. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 20
^I like the price of those. Maybe I could start with those before I start looking at $700+ headphones.

I've also been looking at headphones by Fostex and Denon, but I just have no idea what any of them sound like. Probably will have to try some in person if possible.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm in the same boat. I don't know the answer, but Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio are looking pretty good to me.

Very bright w/ recessed mids and good bass. Unless you enjoy very bright headphones or plan on buying a warm tube amp I'd steer clear of these

^I like the price of those. Maybe I could start with those before I start looking at $700+ headphones.

I've also been looking at headphones by Fostex and Denon, but I just have no idea what any of them sound like. Probably will have to try some in person if possible.

Kinda the same as above. Big bass and scooped out mids. Wouldnt be my choice for your music tastes.

I'd suggest Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Closed. Great tonality,neutral. A bit bass light to my ears,but otherwise excellent sounding headphones,and super comfortable.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 20
I hate bright, so no, that wouldn't be right for me I guess. Definitely looking for a warmer signature.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 20
I hate bright, so no, that wouldn't be right for me I guess. Definitely looking for a warmer signature.

Other options are 1More Triple Driver Over Ear
Campfire Cascade(VERY warm & thick sounding)

If youre adventurous (need to buy used) I'd highly recommend the discontinued Sennheiser HD250s.

Here are my thoughts on them.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 20
^Thanks for the input :D I did find the Cascade interesting when I first heard of it. Looks like it might not be the most comfortable headphone in the world, but I guess I'll have to try :)

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 20
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 20
Meze 99 Classics are on the warmer side with decent bass . The Dt770’s are a bit harsh on the highs and recessed mids a bit. The Cascades just didn’t do it for me didn’t listen long enough to give a definitive reason just didn’t like them but that is me. Have not heard the 1More yet but do own both the Triple and Quad Driver in ears and like them a lot. Have yet to hear the NightOwls but the NightHawks were on the dark side for me didn’t like them but they look good and are comfy as hell. Closed backs are kinda tough to find the one you like without listening to them first.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 20
ZMF Ori for sure. I wrote a review of it here on head-fi if you'd like to see my complete thoughts, but it is my absolute favorite non electrostatic headphone and I have listened to most flagships and owned several others.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 20
The Ori run $899 and the Blackwoods run $699. Well sorry there is only one headphone other than a Stax and that is a ZMF Ori all other makers should just give up now and you should not seek another headphone. @Rhamnetin is right there is no other headphones.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 20
The Ori run $899 and the Blackwoods run $699. Well sorry there is only one headphone other than a Stax and that is a ZMF Ori all other makers should just give up now and you should not seek another headphone. @Rhamnetin is right there is no other headphones.

lol, we all have our favorites and stuff we strongly recommend.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 20
16DDE4C4-751C-4549-A32C-3B4D277F80A4.jpeg
Another on the horizon is the Sony Z7MK2. It should go onsale in September. Priced at $700 too. It debuted last week, so there may be some first impressions. I didn’t see it suggested so there is my two cents.

Sony MDR-Z7M2 HKD 5490 (Around USD 700)

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back