NEVER buying Skullcrappies again!
May 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
Last week I brought a pair of "Skullcandy Ink'd" IEMs from my campus bookstore. My Ipod earbuds broke when I dropped my ipod in the rain that day (EEEEK!). It was a temporary pair of IEMs anyways so I figured that I'd spend a measly 7 dollars on a pair in white and see what this whole new fad is about. I remember seeing them sell for over 15 dollars at Bestbuys. so I thought it was a fairly good deal when I saw them on the rack labeled "$6.99".

I proceed to open the package to find a flimsy pair of IEMs. Two pairs of rubber tips fell onto my lap. One pair in small and one pair in large. The pair of tips on the IEMs were medium.

I grab my scratched Ipod Nano and plug these flimsy IEMs in. When It was time for me to put them in my ear, I noticed that there was no "L" and "R" labeled on the IEMs! Were they mono IEMs?! Nope, just Skullcandy finding a bad way to cut cost in production, perhaps more examples of poor engineering or possibly both.

I pressed play and I was smacked with the worst sound from cans that I actually paid for. Muffled mids, boomy and exaggerated lows which overwhelmed both highs and lows. The highs were scratchy and raspy.

The IEMs were also uncomfortable. THe large tips didn't fit, the medium tips hurt the canal of my ears, and the small size also hurt and the IEMs simply fell out if I moved my head too much. I also noticed a heavy cracking of the cone when I inserted the IEMs into my ear. I'm pretty sure the pressure is causing the cones to punch in and slowly pop back out when the pressure is evened out, the sound wouldn't come back on until the cones were done "popping" back into the original position. The poor engineering keeps stacking on.

I figured out which was left and which was right through my laptops output and marked L and R with my swissarmy knife on the back of the IEMs.

The rubbery tiny cable would twirl around itself and cause everything to tangle. Within 3 days, the wire next to the connector began to tear. I brought the IEMs on Monday morning and by Wednesday morning the cheap material used for the cable began to show its cheapness.

DUring the morning there were sudden mutes every now and then. I thought it was my ipod but it wasn't. By lunch, I saw the rubber tearing apart right behind the connector and exposing the thin wires inside. When evening came around, the IEMs were ready to go into the trash can. there was a 2-3mm tear behind the connector and the IEM's were basically silent unless I kept fiddling with the stupid wire.

Next morning, I went back to the bookstore and found a nice blue pair of JVC Marshmallows for $9.99. I quickly snatched them up and noticed a great improvement in sound and build quality. I'm actually glad that I trashed the Skullcrappies within three days. Never wasting money and time on them ever again, I'm happy with my JVC Marshmallows and will probably buy another pair because they seem to be great everyday IEMs for commute and school especially for $9.99.

/end rant LOLOL

May 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 21
Nice little story.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 21
yeah, Marshmallows are a great value and they're monsters when it comes to sound isolation. My girlfriend was literally yelling at me from 5 feet away and I couldn't hear her at all and I was just playing some Oasis at medium volumes. My only complaint is that the ear pieces only come in two sizes and that there is a noticeable peak in the bass around the mid/upper bass such that they tend to boom when they hit that one specific frequency. But those are minor quibbles when you're talking about a $10 IEM.

And yes, Skullcandy are absolute horrendous. Getting $25 for my used pair of Skullcandy Hesh's (they were a gift) still feels like I robbed somebody. But in my defense the guy was a DJ and only needs them to be able to hear the beat in order to beat match, which they do well enough.

May 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 21
Laughed at the missing channel markings. At least they're honest about their products... the channles are meaningless: you couldn't tell left from right with skullpanties anyway.
wink.gif

May 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How.. how can they not have L/R markings? O.o

No idea! They made the effort to print "SKULLYCANDY" on a piece of plastic on the cable and insert a skull emblem on each IEM, but didn't label L and R!

May 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, I believe for some people it does not really matter. I remember seeing in the underground people wearing the apple ibuds on the opposite side (right on left ear...)

May 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I believe for some people it does not really matter. I remember seeing in the underground people wearing the apple ibuds on the opposite side (right on left ear...)

For me, reversing the iBuds around actually makes the sound louder. Probably the reason people do that, or that they don't care.

May 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

For me, reversing the iBuds around actually makes the sound louder. Probably the reason people do that, or that they don't care.

o.O

May 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

You have iBuds? I ran mine over
smily_headphones1.gif
Speaking of buds, I need some better buds/iems. My JBL's suck in the lower mids and up (Which is just about everything). They make me miss my DT770's.

May 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have iBuds? I ran mine over
smily_headphones1.gif
Speaking of buds, I need some better buds/iems. My JBL's suck in the lower mids and up (Which is just about everything). They make me miss my DT770's.

You might try a pair of Koss Sparkplugs. They are cheap and you'll never describe the highs as bright or crisp and they have no soundstage at all, but they have good bass response and the mids are respectable imo.
They use a form-fitting foam that you compress then insert in your ear canal. The foam expands for a comfortable fit and isolation that is second to none. For $15 anyone can afford to try em out. If you use IEM's more than a couple of hours a week, I'd step up to more serious pair though.

May 10, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 21
Skullcandies actually drive me nuts more than ibuds do. Something about seeing them makes me think that the user had an inkling of wanting better soundquality, falling for the sheer marketing ploy, and being satisfied with what I consider to not at all be an upgrade from apple stock buds. It's almost worse than those people who just don't care about SQ and would rather not spend the after market money. At least they're not being deluded by a sense of "fashion" applied to what's perceived to be good sound.

May 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice "campus bookstore" you got there, all headphones seem to be at discounted prices.

They're probably labeled wrong. EVerything else is overpriced
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back