Neutron vs. Rockbox for Android in SQ only.
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I have tried both and found Neutron does quite well in the sound dept, but Rockbox when tweaked correctly, sounds fuller, cleaner and has more tune ability than any other audio app I tried.   Rockbox paired with my JVC Fx1x's sound amazing when EQ'd properly.   Just take a little time to set up the advanced EQ and frequencies and experiment with whatever monitors you use. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 13
I have tried all popular players. Neutron sounds best, but it is laggy. Using Poweramp.

Difference is sooo little. Even if compared directly it is difficult to fix, but still Neutron manages better. Didn't notice any differences between Poweramp and Rockbox.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Poweramp sounds better.

Neutron has a mid-bass hump even when all EQs are turned off. Poweramp is completely neutral.

That's really weird !  My findings are the complete opposite... PowerAmp unEQ'd being more bass flavoured with Neutron being completely neutral.... and better for it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Aaaaand, this is why subjective impressions are hardly reliable. I bet RMAA measurements would show that both players are completely neutral when not using an EQ.

Indeed, it seems that you may be right.. Maybe it's PowerAmps poorer noise and IMD+Noise levels rather than neutrality that made me favour Neutron player. 
redface.gif
frown.gif

Originally posted by ClieOs
Okay, I was measuring another amp for another review so I took the time to RMAA Neutron (32bits core) vs. Poweramp as well. The setup is: Galaxy Tab 7+ (line-out) + O2 + CX300 feed into Behringer UC222's line-in (only the software players are different). The majority of the measurement are similar, except for one area. Neutron is SIGNIFICANTLY less noisy then Poweramp, both in Noise Level as well as in IMD+Noise.

It is official, Neutron FTW!

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 13
To me, Rockbox doesn't add any coloration to the sound on Android, unless you do it yourself with the many settings available. I can't speak to Neutron....I used it for one whole day and got rid of it. I didn't like the UI, or the fact that the parametric EQ only offered 4 bands to adjust. Rockbox gives you 10 bands of parametric goodness, plus it offers the Meier-style crossfeed algorithm.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 13
bump...this Neutron player has been updated and improved recently

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 13
another bump.

Any other thoughts between these two, esp regarding sound quality (or if you think any other players sound better)?

About to buy a Moto X and I will want to immediately improve the stock sound quality as much as possible. I recently lost my Rockboxed Clip Zip - any chance any of these Android players can make the Moto sound nearly as good as that?

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Both sounds awesome AFTER you tweak them.
Without tweaking they both give very clean and flat output if you are into that. I RMAA them a long time ago, they both gave nearly equally clean and flat signals with little distortion (as compared to other players).

Tuning with Rockbox is easier (like tuning the bass and treble) but Rockbox only works for higher resolution screens with the 480x640 resolution file (still doesn't fit properly though).
Tuning with Neutron is a pain (and sometimes inaccurate-like tuning the 120hz actually affects the 60Hz), but once you got it to your liking then nothing sounds better.

Assuming you got them to your liking the as far as UI I would go with Neutron. I has improved a lot and doesn't suffer from the mismatched resolution of Rockbox.
For example, my phone is HD 1920x1080 screen. Using any rockbox anywhere near that resolution would result in a very small screen (impossible to read and operate) on the phone's screen.
The 480x640 (not 640x480) seems to work best but it's still doesn't fit the screen well.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm glad to see that a phone's stock audio quality can be improved, but how does this happen? Is it just that you can bump up the frequencies that a particular phone is lacking in? For instance this is the FR for the Moto X (just ordered one). I assume bumping the low and high freqs where it drops off would help the sound, but why would two different programs doing this sound different, if they are using the same hardware? (phone's DAC chip, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back