Neutral Sounding Portable Closed Headphones
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stevens02

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've been trying to look for a closed headphone for a while. I've heard some good things about the AKG K553 MKII, but I want to get some more opinions before I take the plunge.

What I'm looking for (hopefully not wishful thinking)
Over-ear
Closed back
Neutral Sound
Medium to lightweight
Folds or collapses in some way (not too bulky)
Removable cable
Doesn't look too flashy
Less than $300

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 26
They just recently closed up shop, but if you can find one used for a reasonable sum, you might like the Oppo PM-3. Seems to meet all your criteria. I'd probably call them more dark than neutral, but I think most people would probably disagree. Pretty great headphone.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 26
They just recently closed up shop, but if you can find one used for a reasonable sum, you might like the Oppo PM-3. Seems to meet all your criteria. I'd probably call them more dark than neutral, but I think most people would probably disagree. Pretty great headphone.

Yeah, I've looked them up before. They're nice, but the price is a bit high. Did I put the less than sign the wrong way??? lol Thanks though.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 26
Hi Stevens02,

I can recommend the following in no particular order :

Sony MDR 1AM2
Audio Technica MSR 7
Shure SRH 940

These are what I use as my reference headphones on rotation.
Be interested to know how you go.

Just my humble opinion.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 26
Hi Stevens02,

Sennheiser's HD 25 is an obvious candidate if you want portable and lightweight.

These headphones were developed 30 years ago for the broadcast industry, where they are used by presenters (sportscasters wear them with a mic) and film and video sound recordists, for whom relative neutrality is important. They are probably the world's most popular DJ headphones and have a strong following among commuters.

The headphones weigh five ounces. They don't fold, but are the opposite of bulky. They are completely modular and parts are readily available. The cable isn't removable in the sense of just pushing it in and pulling it out, but it can be changed out with a Torx T6 screwdriver in under five minutes. A new cable costs US$22.

U.S. cost is $149, but if you're patient you may find a better price. BLINQ, which is Sennheiser's U.S. discounter, just finished offering the HD 25 for $120, no tax, free shipping. As of yesterday, there was a guy on here offering them second hand in excellent condition. Don't know if he still has them for sale. Note that there is no difference between the current HD 25 (introduced in 2016) and the pre-2016 HD 25-1 II. They are identical; Sennheiser just simplified the product line. Made in Ireland. Warranty is two years and if you have a problem, or need parts, Sennheiser U.S. is next door to you in Connecticut.

If you want to know the history of these headphones and the various versions, do a search for John Willett plus Sennheiser HD 25. Willett was head of technical operations for Sennheiser U.K. and has several posts on sound forums about them.

Here's a fun HD 25 video, although it's pretty free with facts. For one thing, the HD 25 was not developed for the Concorde, although there was indeed a Concorde version:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks for all the feedback! But my mistake... I totally forgot that I prefer over-ears after looking at the HD25s. On-ears seem to pinch my ears after awhile. Oops, and sorry to rredge for making you type up an article for me—really appreciate it. I do think I have one of those in a storage room somewhere. I'll update the original post. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 26
Always a compromise to be made.
Beoplay H6 would be perfect if it folded.
Thinksound On2 would possibly be the best headphones ever made if they were over ear.
My suggestion - HiFiman Edition S. In closed configuration, they do leak a bit more than your typical closed back, but they check every other box.

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 26
Always a compromise to be made.
Beoplay H6 would be perfect if it folded.
Thinksound On2 would possibly be the best headphones ever made if they were over ear.
My suggestion - HiFiman Edition S. In closed configuration, they do leak a bit more than your typical closed back, but they check every other box.
Anything about the headband cracking??? I'm less worried about them leaking out than the noise leaking in. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back