neutral open back for metal (double bass)
May 5, 2021 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm running the shure 1540 on a heresy modi combo through audirvana with waves q10 equilizer plug in and it's heaven for anything needing a nice low end and good bass texture, but not ideal for fast double bass parts and intricate passages that require an open back design to really let the bass dissipate quickly.

Any recommendations?

$ 500ish budget, will consider upwards of 700 ish

Thanks all!

I'll add that I liked the sundara with eq to linearize the low end, but I dont like the headband design. i dont like the 400i 2020 for metal. i like the 6xx but its soundstage is too tight for complex music. i love the dt 880 for horns and strings, maybe with eq it could be really nice for this. the 1990 might be a good option. maybe the 58x jubilee if its soundstage is wider/taller. maybe some akg's, q701? idk but just wanted to give some more background on my listening experiences / preferences. maybe the focal elex, but it seems kind of heavy. shure srh 1840?

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 21
You are not going to find much more linear bass than planars. You can not eq speed and once you touch it you are slowing it down as making it do something it doesn’t do. Eq is not a zero sum game if you boost something then it is taking away from another. The headphone has it’s frequency response and if you change it it changes more than how it sounds . Look fine with me but you are all over the map as what you want and kinda hard to say.

May 5, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 21
Ok so elex is perfect i think, gunna give it a go, think my schitt heresy and modi should drive it just fine.

Any thoughts on akg k712 compared to this for metal, let's say progressive metal and death metal

May 5, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 21
a mix between sundara and hd 650

sounds like the elex maybe
If you want soundstage then the Sundara’s are it the 6XX’s and Elex are much more narrow.

May 5, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 21
If you can find one, check out the ATH AD2000 non -X version. Fastest dynamic headphone ive ever heard, plus it has magic mids for the guitars against your skull.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 21
Any thoughts on akg k712 compared to this for metal, let's say progressive metal and death metal
I have the K701, which I adore, but not so much for metal. Doesnt have aggresive enough mids nor texture to do metal justice. The K712 is pretty similar to the K701

May 5, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 21
A bit of an outside option here - either the (Grado) Alessandro MS-Pro or MS-2 would work well for you here.

May 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 21
i’ll look into that grado, i’m wondering how the rs-1 might stack up too

also i like a medium soundstage i suppose, sundara is a bit on the distant side, 6xx a bit too tight

thanks for all the input!

May 6, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 21
For a "from out of left field" option, Hyland Audio Saturn 2.

May 7, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 21
Ok so elex is perfect i think, gunna give it a go, think my schitt heresy and modi should drive it just fine.

I had K712 and I didn't like it too much with Metal, I found it a great headphone mainly with the classical music...

I had Ananda and I liked it with Metal, airy, clean and detailed, but maybe it lacked some dynamics and impact.

Now I think I'll try the Focal Clear.

May 9, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 21
Have you listened to R70x too? Any thoughts on comparison?
R70X is brutally neutral. I love it for what it is, but if you want any color in your music it's not for you.

(And to be clear, I've never met anyone who liked metal who /really/ wanted a neutral response in speakers or headphones)

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 21
R70X is brutally neutral. I love it for what it is, but if you want any color in your music it's not for you.

(And to be clear, I've never met anyone who liked metal who /really/ wanted a neutral response in speakers or headphones)

i suppose it largely depends on the type of metal, though i’ve wondered what frequency range metal guitars come through at, i’d assume those should be emphasized. Drop tuning and 7 strings should bring this a bit below normal guitars, but it seems like such a big range on eq i cant really identify the color i want here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back