Neutral headphones?
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tbaker

New Head-Fier
Howdy? I am looking to purchase some headphones that have a neutral sound or as close as you can get. I am not sure what will give me this, but I currently have a set of Sony EX forget the model number and they are pretty nice, and some sennheiser hd435, which are also nice but I want something better and more neutral. My budget is about $80. I do not care if they are open or not as my current phones are, but I may prefer them as they seem more comfortable. I like to sleep with my music and my phones on so some comfort can be key. I also got long hair(down to my chest area) if that make a difference. The key is the the most neutral sounding, with the best sq I can get for my money. Thakies

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 34
to me neural in a headphone means a flat response or close to it.. Neutral cans are good for purist who don't want certain frequencies altered..They to keep the recording as close to the original as possible. I have a headphone with a flat response..They are not fun sounding or musical, they just keep it 'real.'

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 34
tbaker,Welcome to Head-Fi. And Sorry About Your Wallet. Audio-Technica ATH AD500 $74.99@Amazon. Balanced sound & very comfortable IMO. Good Luck & enjoy your HPs.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the general consensus on neutral sounding phones is a good or bad thing?

personal perspective mostly..

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 34
I've always considered Beyerdynamic to have a very neutral/flat sound. For 80 USD, there isn't a whole lot of options; namely, the DT 231 (or 235, the new version). I bought them for my wife, and I consider them to be fairly neutral for the money.

Otherwise, perhaps a pair of Sony V6? A little grainy-sounding on certain recordings, but they are studio monitors.

Hope that helps,

Nylan

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 34
I disagree. Beyerdynamic closed headphones be among the least neutral sounding, they change how the recording sounds, a ton.

Go for something open like the AKG K601/701, Audio Technica AD900/2000 or Senn HD600/650

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for something open like the AKG K601/701, Audio Technica AD900/2000 or Senn HD600/650

FWIR you are correct, but he said his budget is around $80. I'd buy the k701s myself if I could find a set for that price...and a set of the hd600's too
biggrin.gif
I settled for the RP-21 since from the research I did they are suppose to be fairly neutral/true to the source... and were within my budget.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the general consensus on neutral sounding phones is a good or bad thing?

Depends on the listener. I like studio/professional gear, some of it is extremely musical.

For neutral headphones, you should be able to find a Sony MDR-V6 under your budget. I had a pair for years and still think they're pretty good. Though it's a longshot, you can sometimes find a used Beyerdynamic DT48 under $80 - I did. They're some of the most neutral, detailed headphones ever made. You can sometimes find the AKG K-240DF, another great studio headphone, within your budget. And maybe, just maybe, you can find a used AKG K-501 for $80. All of those would get you close to what you're looking for.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. Beyerdynamic closed headphones be among the least neutral sounding, they change how the recording sounds, a ton.

His budget is $80, not $200 plus. I'm curious which Beyer closed headphones you've heard? They don't all sound like DT770s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back