Neutral headphone suggestions in two price ranges....
Dec 24, 2015 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

onitafmw55

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of neutral (non v-shaped) headphones for under $300 and if they exist....one for under $100 as a backup. Any suggestions are welcome. Over ear preferred but I am not above on ear. Thanks.

For what its worth I have an m50x and v6. I like them but I've heard mixed opinions on if they are truly neutral or not. Nonetheless that is the closest to neutral i have. Everything else I have is treble heavy, bass heavy or extreme v-shaped.

Its not a must, especially with a 300 hundred dollar limit but i prefer detail & clarity over soundstage. So if that info helps narrow things down, there you go. Also prefer closed back to open back but not a dealbreaker.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Sub $300 - Beyerdynamic DT-880... can't really beat this for neutrality or almost any aspect of it's sound.

Not so clued up on neutral stuff under $100...

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 9
  Sub $300 - Beyerdynamic DT-880... can't really beat this for neutrality or almost any aspect of it's sound.

Not so clued up on neutral stuff under $100...

I was going to post this same thing.  As for sub $100, I've read good things about this from people who don't like overwhelmingly bassy sound signatures, but I have no experience with it myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 9

I was going to post this same thing.  As for sub $100, I've read good things about this from people who don't like overwhelmingly bassy sound signatures, but I have no experience with it myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

OH SNAP!

I forgot about this one 
biggrin.gif

This would actually be my recommendation too.
I have the older Philips SHP8900 which is essentially one of it's predecessors and fairly similar in most respects apart from build.

It has a fabulously lush sub-bass which doesn't overwhelm the mids at all.
It's kind of a more neutral Grado but with bass and soundstage. Very pleasant sound indeed.

However it has quite shallow ear pads... if your ears protrude out of your head more than average, you MIGHT find these to be uncomfortable.
That's the only real issue. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Try V-Moda XS... Its Neutral 

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill keep them in mind...any other ideas anyone. Throw out a bunch. Feel free, Ill check them all out and make a decision.

How are those cheap superlux headphones. Are those considered neutral?

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT1350 would be my rec, kinda like a more evenkeeled (less energetic/v-ish) HD25-1 ii, though maybe the 880 supercedes it... (plus your preference is for over-ears)

Thanks for the suggestions, Ill keep them in mind...any other ideas anyone. Throw out a bunch. Feel free, Ill check them all out and make a decision.

How are those cheap superlux headphones. Are those considered neutral?

I haven't tried them but other research options: Focal Spirit Pro and Sony MDR-7520 are rated as good monitoring cans, sometimes below $300... Beyerdynamic dt 250, dt 150, Phonon SMB-02, Maybe the Shures (like the 1440, they also have a closed version)...

below $100 maybe the Senn hd 280? AKG has a cheapish monitor type headphone too, forget the model. Samson 850/950. Yamaha has some well rated ones i can't remember..

so, yeah, i've been reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much about headphones this year...

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT-660 sounds great and are neutral.
Many people love them for classical music for this reason.
I bought a.pair myself but returned them as I found build quality to be lacking.
Also my ears got very hot very quickly.
But try them yourself and see what you think.

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 9
DT880 (slightly bright character)
HD600 (slight mid-bass emphasis)
K702 (a tad too forward and dry)

These are all very neutral headphones in the big scheme of things.
Which one is best depends on personal preferences and the recordings, of course.

They all shine with quality source and amplification.
HD600 is less picky and thus easier to drive, DT880 comes second. 
AKG K702s are pretty hard to drive, they work very well with slightly warm SS amplifiers like Matrix M-Stage HPA-2, Violectrics... Asgard 2 works well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back