Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp
Mar 18, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #77 of 148
Folks,

I'm about to order another stack of enclosures. Given the debate earlier about chassis colour, I figured I'd get your input before I blow $1k+ on a chassis order. I have narrowed the choices down to four colours: Gentian Blue, Carmine Red, Graphite, and Black. All have a slight texture to them. All will have white silk screen text and legend just as the current blue chassis.

I have a Google survey running and would greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know of your preference. I will post the survey results here. The survey is anonymous but does require sign-in to Google/Gmail to prevent multiple responses. There are two questions: 
1) Favourite of the four colours. 
2) Favourite between only Graphite and Black. ​

If you don't have a Google account and would like to cast your vote, please just toss me a PM with your preferences.
The survey is here: https://goo.gl/forms/LUEsX0WhPoKxJAww2

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #78 of 148
As promised, here are the results of the chassis colour survey. Graphite seems very popular. It also seems people are either "black" or "anything but black", indicated by the rather large slice of "graphite" in the graphite vs black pie chart.

The next stack of enclosures will have a couple (2 of 10 probably) in blue and the rest (8 of 10) in graphite.

Tom

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #79 of 148
Folks,

I have one last survey request. This is for my Consumer Psychology class. I would greatly appreciate it if you'd spend about 15 minutes answering a few questions about a handful of Google ads and Facebook ads ("suggested posts") for me by taking this survey: https://ucalgarypsych.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9Ys8lFknxxawAYJ

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Tom

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #80 of 148
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]Folks,[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]I have one last survey request. This is for my Consumer Psychology class. I would greatly appreciate it if you'd spend about 15 minutes answering a few questions about a handful of Google ads and Facebook ads ("suggested posts") for me by taking this survey: [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]https://ucalgarypsych.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9Ys8lFknxxawAYJhttps://ucalgarypsych.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9Ys8lFknxxawAYJ[/color]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]Thank you. I really appreciate it.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]Tom[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Completed.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #83 of 148
Argh! Bad survey. Bad! Sorry about that. We'll see what kind of variability we get on that question. If you're the only one, you might be an outlier. If it threw off some people and not others, the distribution could be pretty interesting - and the question useless. That's unfortunate. 

Thanks for letting me know.

Tom

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #84 of 148
Oh my. I had forgotten how overwhelming a box from Mouser full of tiny plastic bags could be. I'm still waiting on the DigiKey order I made to fill in all the backorder parts, but I'll probably get started on what I have tonight.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #85 of 148
I'm amazed at how clean your worktable is... mine looks like an explosion of leftover parts
ph34r.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #86 of 148
  I'm amazed at how clean your worktable is... mine looks like an explosion of leftover parts
ph34r.gif

Haha. There's an explanation for that. It was literally delivered an hour before I took the picture. I had just taken the iron and diagnostic equipment out of storage and set them on the table... 
beyersmile.png

I managed to populate all the resistors and ceramic caps that came in the Mouser delivery tonight. I'm going to wait for the Digikey resisters/caps to arrive before I move on. Hopefully it will all arrive on Monday.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #87 of 148
Placed the transistors, diodes, and ICs that I have tonight. It was a bit of a struggle to get the tabs on the 49600s down, even with the the widest tip I had. How did you guys do it? Do I need a nuclear soldering iron? 
ph34r.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #88 of 148
Do you use flux? pre-tin the pads?

Sometimes if the pins are dirty this inhibits the solder from sticking, but usually the flux clears that up.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #89 of 148
  Do you use flux? pre-tin the pads?

Sometimes if the pins are dirty this inhibits the solder from sticking, but usually the flux clears that up.

I'm talking about the huge metal tab on the back of the 47900s. The huge pad you're supposed to attach them to is probably a big ground plane and it just sucks all the heat away from the iron/solder...

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #90 of 148
Did you try looking at @tomchr tips here? https://www.neurochrome.com/soldering-ics-with-exposed-dap/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back