Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #136 of 148
Yes, quickly looking it was the built versions for which graphite chassis were out of stock. Thank you.

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #137 of 148
That may soon change. I'm exploring options for getting a stack of these assembled by an assembly house. I'm working the numbers in Excel right now as a matter of fact. :)

Tom

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #138 of 148
That'd be good. Ultimately my plan is to get an HP-1 in-hand, conclude performance, and then build one
in a full custom-chassis as I like.

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #139 of 148
Just a note to say I purchased one of Toms little blue amps (HP-1), non kit and second hand. It has replaced a Mapletree Ear+ in my system with new (barely broken in) Aeon Opens and holy crap. This is some serious sound - punchy dynamics, tone, and detail. Have a Lampizator dac and Audio Note transport feeding it so good source but beyond expectations - maybe its just happy to be back in Canada but this amp is singing with the AFOs...

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #141 of 148
curious whether most run their HP-1 with balanced interconnects or rcas? Was it designed to go one way or other - have been using rcas but thinking of picking up some xlrs to connect to my dac.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #142 of 148
In the manual, Tom recommends balanced connection. Differential inherently measures better than single-ended. I would play around with both to see if you have preference, but with a Gungnir and HD600, the differences are marginal. The output topology of the DAC may have an effect on sonic differences as well. Also, you will have a little more play on the volume knob if running single-ended.

I slightly prefer balanced. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #144 of 148
Over xmas picked up a new Gungnir which is still in burn in mode. I have been reading that I should leave the Gumby5 on all the time to get best performance - so what about the HP-1? Have been turning it off at night or when I switch over to speaker system. Will it perform better if kept warm? Guess I could just try but curious what others are doing.

David

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #145 of 148
In my view, a solid-state amplifier that requires burn-in, warm-up, or to be on continuously to achieve optimal performance is a flawed design (or marketing claims). None of my solid state amps requires burn-in, warm-up, or to be powered continuously. My recommendation is to turn them off when not in use.

Tom

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #148 of 148
Yeah. I went through a major upgrade and overhaul of my website in the fall. I didn't see the point of porting the discontinued products over. You can find them in the various internet archives, though.

Edit: I just attached the Neurochrome HP-1 User's Guide. It has the specs.

The HP-1 was discontinued as it was ill suited for mass production. It was way too expensive for that and the chassis needed beautification. I've applied the lessons learned in the Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tom-christiansen-audio-hpa-1-impressions-thread.917311/

Tom

Attachments

• HP-1_R1p1_UsersGuide.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back