Neumann NDH 30
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #4,801 of 4,909
Do you hear any difference between the two? I know they are identical apart from the colour, but I mean small sample variation differences.
First off I missed this sound so much and am reminded that why it only took me one sitting to say "this is it". Modded silver one which has more sub bass and tho you can tell that they are voiced the same way, the stock black brought out way more information (what was diminished with my mod) all across the entire frequency. The most noticeable difference, as far as I can remember, is the clamping force. The silver had less clamping force and wears looser on the head that it lead me the pad rolling route. This black version has tons of clamping force in a good way as this is staying put even when shaking my head left to right. The velour pad is also smoother and not rough so no more breaking that one in. Foam remained the same density. I'm not reluctant to say that some adjustments has been made on the fit. I'm in love all over again.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #4,802 of 4,909
First off I missed this sound so much and am reminded that why it only took me one sitting to say "this is it". Modded silver one which has more sub bass and tho you can tell that they are voiced the same way, the stock black brought out way more information (what was diminished with my mod) all across the entire frequency. The most noticeable difference, as far as I can remember, is the clamping force. The silver had less clamping force and wears looser on the head that it lead me the pad rolling route. This black version has tons of clamping force in a good way as this is staying put even when shaking my head left to right. The velour pad is also smoother and not rough so no more breaking that one in. Foam remained the same density. I'm not reluctant to say that some adjustments has been made on the fit. I'm in love all over again.
Ah sorry - forgot that you'd modded the silver one. Great that The BE hits the spot again, and fits better as well. Win win!

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #4,804 of 4,909
Yes! and leave the NDH 30 stock is my advice, forget pad rolling and start bending bands to make sure the fit seals tight and shut.
Easy and safe to do with the metal construction of the headband! The ONLY thing I could criticise the NHD series for is weight, but in return you get superb and pretty much bomb proof build quality.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #4,805 of 4,909
Bought this monitor controller together with the black NDH 30. It has an option to make a direct connection bypassing the volume control which should be perfect for the headphone amp. Power is only for BT, LED and built-in headphone amp. Switching is passive.

IMG_0162.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #4,806 of 4,909
So, do you intend to reverse the modification of the 1st pair (if reversible) to regain the initial sonic character? A comparison with the 2nd pair (black) would be interesting then (for any sample variation or for tight QC evidence).

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #4,808 of 4,909
This black mean business 🤩
May I even dare say I might actually keep an eye open on a black, I've recently been putting a new small Electronic Music (think the likes of Varese et al) Work Station together so the Neumann would be better suited, been almost a 30 year hiatus....without getting carried away thought I'd keep it simple but actually started incorporating some of my older gear from the 80s. :sunglasses:
April 1st.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #4,809 of 4,909
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #4,810 of 4,909
To commemorate the induction of @ThEvil0nE:
IMG_7698.jpeg
[Columbia (Spain), Decca (U.K.), Press (U.S.): released June, 1966.] 👍🤣

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #4,811 of 4,909
So, do you intend to reverse the modification of the 1st pair (if reversible) to regain the initial sonic character? A comparison with the 2nd pair (black) would be interesting then (for any sample variation or for tight QC evidence).
I could but unlikely. I like how comfy, plush sheepskin is too nice and smell good lol. The black will stay stock and the silver will be tweaked some more after the the black 30 is all broken in for A/Bing.
Looking closely at the picture of the new BE the pad velour looks the same as on both of my silver ones, so perhaps they changed the velour material at some point?
The first thing I checked after opening the BE was the pads. The pad/velour material on my silver one was horrible and my complaints on that is somewhere in this thread. SE velour material was close to felt paper. The BE almost feels like fabric softener was added 🤔 still far from being a high quality velour tho.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #4,812 of 4,909
May I even dare say I might actually keep an eye open on a black, I've recently been putting a new small Electronic Music (think the likes of Varese et al) Work Station together so the Neumann would be better suited, been almost a 30 year hiatus....without getting carried away thought I'd keep it simple but actually started incorporating some of my older gear from the 80s. :sunglasses:
I used to have a 12 channel Soundcraft before I downsized to an Edirol which is still my current, love the built in room correction on it. Also shrunk down to the Roland Aria compacts. Teenage Engineering KO II is in the mail 😄
IMG_0175.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #4,813 of 4,909
I used to have a 12 channel Soundcraft before I downsized to an Edirol which is still my current, love the built in room correction on it. Also shrunk down to the Roland Aria compacts. Teenage Engineering KO II is in the mail 😄
The Tascam Model 12 has built in recording, on board effects and can also be used as a DAW controller if I ever get there, replaces my 40 year old Tascam Model 30 and TEAC Reel to Reels. :beyersmile:
The Minilogue XD subs for my EML 101 and Arp sequencer still in storage.:sunglasses:

Daily inspiration!:)

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #4,814 of 4,909
Do you hear any difference between the two? I know they are identical apart from the colour, but I mean small sample variation differences.
Had both and the black definitely had more treble than the silver version. Although I kept the Black one as it sounded better for me i‘m not sure meanwhile if the treble might even be a little too much. Especially hihats in Electronic Music are often very present.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back