Neumann NDH 30
Feb 4, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #4,637 of 4,914
Static electricity release on h/p/a body ?...
1707063711095.jpeg

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #4,638 of 4,914
Do any of you noticed any random pops on the driver during playback sometimes?
I did, more than a year ago, during the first weeks of use. Sometimes, one or two minutes after putting the headphone on my head, one little pop was heard in one or both drivers (not simultaneously), very much like static. It disappeared gradually after the first weeks. Now I think it was something caused by thermal expansion, maybe the internal shell of the cup (plastic) expanding inside the external (aluminum), after receiving the first heat from the head, or something like that (maybe it was an aluminum part expanding more than plastic since aluminum has a big thermal expansion coefficient.) Even if it was coming from the membrane itself I believe it was something thermal. I think too much, overheating my brain, lol !

Ed. I should have tried to put the headphones on my head with no music or connection to check if it was temperature related but It disappeared before becoming a problem. Maybe you can try that.

Apart from the above, I experienced pops like static (at L-chanel with all headphones) only when my smartphone is driving a dac. A problem of software / clocking / hardware I think.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #4,639 of 4,914
Here are three albums I have been listening to during the last few days. Just beautiful music, high-quality recordings, excellent musicians, with superb headphones (NDH 30, of course):
albums.png

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #4,640 of 4,914
I think the problem is the Topping DX1 I am using, I found another report online about the usb cable being the problem. I also tried my btr7 wirelessly with no problems.
I also have the DX1 and no issues at all with pops using my current cans (in my signature).

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #4,641 of 4,914
I did, more than a year ago, during the first weeks of use. Sometimes, one or two minutes after putting the headphone on my head, one little pop was heard in one or both drivers (not simultaneously), very much like static. It disappeared gradually after the first weeks. Now I think it was something caused by thermal expansion, maybe the internal shell of the cup (plastic) expanding inside the external (aluminum), after receiving the first heat from the head, or something like that (maybe it was an aluminum part expanding more than plastic since aluminum has a big thermal expansion coefficient.) Even if it was coming from the membrane itself I believe it was something thermal. I think too much, overheating my brain, lol !

Ed. I should have tried to put the headphones on my head with no music or connection to check if it was temperature related but It disappeared before becoming a problem. Maybe you can try that.

Apart from the above, I experienced pops like static (at L-chanel with all headphones) only when my smartphone is driving a dac. A problem of software / clocking / hardware I think.
Burn in effect...literally...LOL

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #4,643 of 4,914
Did any of you compare the black and silver version? Are there any sonic changes between them?

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #4,644 of 4,914
Did any of you compare the black and silver version? Are there any sonic changes between them?
It’s been established that they are the same except for the colour. Any differences (and they won’t be identical) are just normal sample variation.
However, it’s worth noting that if a particular example of a black 30 happens to have slightly less treble energy than a particular example of a silver 30 the natural thing to do would be to think that the black version is different because of the colour, reinforced by the psychological effect of sound and colour association. That’s a real phenomenon that has been discussed on this forum in the past.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #4,645 of 4,914
It’s been established that they are the same except for the colour. Any differences (and they won’t be identical) are just normal sample variation.
However, it’s worth noting that if a particular example of a black 30 happens to have slightly less treble energy than a particular example of a silver 30 the natural thing to do would be to think that the black version is different because of the colour, reinforced by the psychological effect of sound and colour association. That’s a real phenomenon that has been discussed on this forum in the past.
Jesus, I wanted a black one, but now I HAVE to get a silver one, because I’ve read your post an KNOW the black lacks in treble! 😉

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #4,646 of 4,914
I laughed during reading your comment, because first thing my brain said while I saw the black version was "it's going to have more bass". Stopped for a sec and thought: "what just happened?".

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #4,648 of 4,914
Beyerdynamic A20 (output impedance: 100 ohms) is a great h/p/a for NDH-30 (nominal impedance: 120 ohms).
E0A58EF0-C892-4A47-B25E-E9DB86F8FDF8.jpeg
With a system damping factor of 1.2x, here is a wonderful mix of driver control / sound blossoming. No 'stranglehold' here leading to obedient, timid sound!

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #4,649 of 4,914
Beyerdynamic A20 (output impedance: 100 ohms) is a great h/p/a for NDH-30 (nominal impedance: 120 ohms).E0A58EF0-C892-4A47-B25E-E9DB86F8FDF8.jpeg With a system damping factor of 1.2x, here is a wonderful mix of driver control / sound blossoming. No 'stranglehold' here leading to obedient, timid sound!
This CD player is no slouch either! Love those TEAC players!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back