Neumann NDH 30
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #4,621 of 4,914
geez, this track got trumpet that sounded like it's from the middle of the room - freaked me out initially :sweat_smile:

Are you getting that on NDH30? My NDH30 is in storage right now.

1706854692893.png

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #4,623 of 4,914
Are you using running these balanced from a reasonably powerful amp?
Running through UAD thunderbolt apollo interface
This is exactly how I feel when I first listened to the NDH 30. Nothing in the frequency spectrum wanted to be the focal point or wanting to grab your attention. It was love at first listen.
Yep. But I can see why an audio connoisseur may not like it for the exact reasons you mentioned.

For me, I'm looking for neutral sound. On a music production forum, a well-known neo-classical composer said these headphones were surprisingly close to his ATC SCM50 setup in a professional mix environment (I think he prefers Focal headphones though).

But again, the needs of a mixing engineer can be different from an audiophile. If I listened for pure excitement, I'll reach for my Audeze or HD800. But I'm coming to the realization that I don't need to hear all the "nuance" of 8k slammed in my face when I'm mixing :smile: The NDH-30s simplify what I'm hearing.

The saying "the magic is in the mids" holds true.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #4,624 of 4,914
Yes thats on the playlist and sounded great. Will have to give it another listen for the trumpets.
Not hearing trumpets sounding like that
More upfront. Vocals sound recessed at beginning as if singing from back of orchestra.
The real highlights for me come at 4 minute mark when those chimes and all else breaks loose.
Fantastic seperation very 3D sounding.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #4,625 of 4,914
Not hearing trumpets sounding like that
More upfront. Vocals sound recessed at beginning as if singing from back of orchestra.
The real highlights for me come at 4 minute mark when those chimes and all else breaks loose.
Fantastic seperation very 3D sounding.
The air and space around and in front of trumpet is less clear on 800S. The trumpet on 800S is still very much a good ft away but I am not getting sound projecting from the room. The female vocal is absolutely in the back - you can hear the space from where she is to where the microphone is. Both 800S and Utopia got that one fairly easily. The entire track is one big 3D audio feast that you can go wooing and ahhing. I need to throw this one on speakers sometime this weekend.

Edit: Listened again on Utopia..it was pretty clear not only the trumpets but also the trombones all sounded like they are from projecting in from inside the room. Trombones sounded like they were further away from the microhpone (getting more space. French horns were not quite projecting from the room - they sounded like they are about a ft or so from the head.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #4,627 of 4,914
I’m curious as to why?
I daily 5 amps and have 2 amps in storage. I previously had NDH30 on the gsx2. Since the acquisition of my 2nd Utopia I had to make some adjustments:

Utopia 1 on CFA #1
Utopia 2 on CFA #2
Focal OG on Gilmore lite mk2
800S on M3
LCDX on gsx 2

So the short answer is I simply ran out of room to put another amp in my space :sweat_smile:

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #4,628 of 4,914
The air and space around and in front of trumpet is less clear on 800S. The trumpet on 800S is still very much a good ft away but I am not getting sound projecting from the room. The female vocal is absolutely in the back - you can hear the space from where she is to where the microphone is. Both 800S and Utopia got that one fairly easily. The entire track is one big 3D audio feast that you can go wooing and ahhing. I need to throw this one on speakers sometime this weekend.

Edit: Listened again on Utopia..it was pretty clear not only the trumpets but also the trombones all sounded like they are from projecting in from inside the room. Trombones sounded like they were further away from the microhpone (getting more space. French horns were not quite projecting from the room - they sounded like they are about a ft or so from the head.
What streaming service were you using? Im assuming qobuz hi res at 96khz?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #4,629 of 4,914
What streaming service were you using? Im assuming qobuz hi res at 96hz?
Qobuz as well, and using whatever the highest sample rate track they have.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #4,630 of 4,914
I daily 5 amps and have 2 amps in storage. I previously had NDH30 on the gsx2. Since the acquisition of my 2nd Utopia I had to make some adjustments:

Utopia 1 on CFA #1
Utopia 2 on CFA #2
Focal OG on Gilmore lite mk2
800S on M3
LCDX on gsx 2

So the short answer is I simply ran out of room to put another amp in my space :sweat_smile:
Jealous! Lol My midfi stuff can't compete.
Have to try on my Elex via Rebel Amp.
Feel like ordering that HE-1 that i was eyeing. Lol

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #4,631 of 4,914
Jealous! Lol My midfi stuff can't compete.
Have to try on my Elex via Rebel Amp.
Feel like ordering that HE-1 that i was eyeing. Lol
No experience with Elex or Rebel. Don't waste your money on HE-1, unless you have specific needs and absolutely do not have the space for a speaker rig. For a $60k system (I was quoted $50k by the dealer close to 7 years ago), you don't really want to use the internal mid-fi dac; you will want a good one to max out HE-1 so that's another $20-30k. Now you are at $80-90k for the total system cost - I am 200% certain I can put together a killer speaker rig for $80k that will blow HE-1 away (probalby only need $40-50k if buying used). For clarification purposes, without considering the price, HE-1 is very good, among the best I have heard.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #4,632 of 4,914
No experience with Elex or Rebel. Don't waste your money on HE-1, unless you have specific needs and absolutely do not have the space for a speaker rig. For a $60k system (I was quoted $50k by the dealer close to 7 years ago), you don't really want to use the internal mid-fi dac; you will want a good one to max out HE-1 so that's another $20-30k. Now you are at $80-90k for the total system cost - I am 200% certain I can put together a killer speaker rig for $80k that will blow HE-1 away (probalby only need $40-50k if buying used). For clarification purposes, without considering the price, HE-1 is very good, among the best I have heard.
I was just kidding. If i had that kind of money i would probably buy some good separates like the utopia and a top notch tube amp. Maybe some DCS stuff although that's crazy expensive
Love to hear Warwick Aperio system. At 36 thousand it's a steal. Lol
And yes funny HE-1 still uses multiple ess9018's

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #4,634 of 4,914
Do any of you noticed any random pops on the driver during playback sometimes?
I think you have an issue with your electronics. Pop using different cans?

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #4,635 of 4,914
Do any of you noticed any random pops on the driver during playback sometimes?
Static electricity release on h/p/a body ?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back