Neumann NDH 30
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,741 of 4,884
any tracks in particular you'd like to share?

Some of what has been playing today:

listennow.png

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,742 of 4,884
There are no resistors or other electronic components in a wired headphone, no matter its price. Only a simple coil (dynamic headphines) to drive it. No tuning by electronics in it.
Well, I definitely know a pair of headphones.
Sennheiser HD 630VB :wink: and Ninetec ProBeat Boris Blank Edition. In fact, there are probably more, but it doesn't matter.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,743 of 4,884
Sennheiser HD 630VB :wink: and Ninetec ProBeat Boris Blank Edition. In fact, there are probably more, but it doesn't matter.

You are right, nothing ever is as easy as. But normally headphone "tuning" is not electrical components but rather physical components like materials, coils, filters, cups, pads and dampers etc.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,744 of 4,884
You are right, nothing ever is as easy as. But normally headphone "tuning" is not electrical components but rather physical components like materials, coils, filters, cups, pads and dampers etc.
The headphones I have listed have electronic components. But I agree that it is not "normally" and not often practiced.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,745 of 4,884
Lol! :thumbsup: There is always an exception to confirm a rule!
(In this case it is not even a rule, it is how headphones are concieved and made.)

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,746 of 4,884
I spent a good bit of time immersing myself in some of my favorite tracks last night with the NDH30, with some swapping out for the Atrium and HD660S2.

One thing that this session got me thinking about is that accuracy can mean a few different things when we discuss a headphone's ability to faithfully reproduce source material. In addition to having an incredibly accurate frequency response, I was getting such a strong sense of the Neumann's facility in reproducing dynamic swings. This was to the point where I was starting to question certain mix decisions the engineer had made on some tracks. Like, "wow that synth line that just came in was about 2db too loud" or, "I'd love to get just a touch more of that background vocal, if only it was a little louder in the mix, and panned a touch further to the right so it would stand on its own a bit more."

Switching back to the 660S2 and Atrium I'd focus on these same details, and notice how these headphones were just glossing over these kinds of dynamic inconsistencies. To be sure, both of those other cans sounded fantastic also, but this exercise really underscored the fact that the NDH30 is, first and foremost, a tool for mixing/recording/production, and it wouldn't be worth its salt if it didn't pick apart the mix in such a surgical, precise way. It was quite fun and illuminating.

When listening to a lot of my music on NDH30 it sounds like a compressor effect has been removed from the track, like the dynamics have opened up significantly. This helps to separate and "unsquish" the different vocal and instrument tracks so you can distinctly hear everything.

I really wish I still had my Utopia so I could compare to the NDH30, but I traded it about a month ago :frowning2:

I'd be very curious if anybody else in this thread has Utopia and NDH30 for comparison? Or maybe this has already been done, and I missed it earlier in the thread...
I think @chesebert has some significant experience with Utopia and could compare the two. He has commented relatively in some older posts.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,748 of 4,884
I think @chesebert has some significant experience with Utopia and could compare the two. He has commented relatively in some older posts.
I have my listening notes and I did reference Utopia in my impression. Based on my notes I recall Utopia OG was an impressive and enjoyable listen once EQed a bit. The only area Utopia lacks is sub bass. Clear is a more reasonable competitor - NDH30 is better technically but Clear has a warm and inviting sound profile that will work for a lot of people and Clear is easier to drive well.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,749 of 4,884
I have my listening notes and I did reference Utopia in my impression. Based on my notes I recall Utopia OG was an impressive and enjoyable listen once EQed a bit. The only area Utopia lacks is sub bass. Clear is a more reasonable competitor - NDH30 is better technically but Clear has a warm and inviting sound profile that will work for a lot of people and Clear is easier to drive well.

Some seem to drive the Focal drivers out of their range playing to much bass, now I don't know how much bass but it is being mentioned fairly often

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,750 of 4,884
Some seem to drive the Focal drivers out of their range playing to much bass, now I don't know how much bass but it is being mentioned fairly often
No clue. I don’t listen at 100dB+ SPL :sweat_smile:

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,751 of 4,884
Thanks!
I also used to own the OG Clear, but sold it probably about a year ago. It never got too much headtime. It's weird how I can actually genuinely like a can, and still not be enthused enough to unpack it and listen. I've arrived at that place with my Auteur. Once I get off my lazy ass, I'll list that too.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,752 of 4,884
There are no resistors or other electronic components in a wired headphone, no matter its price. Only a simple coil (dynamic headphines) to drive it. No tuning by electronics in it.
Correct, tuning can be altered by magnet strength, distances, material of the driver, etc. Only something like the AKG-340 could be tuned in this way, quite a rare case.
Knowing your post history and a little about your preferences, I believe you meant "6 SE" and not "600 SE," right?
yes sir. thanks....

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,753 of 4,884
Correct, tuning can be altered by magnet strength, distances, material of the driver, etc. Only something like the AKG-340 could be tuned in this way, quite a rare case.

yes sir. thanks....
You can adjust the magnet distance of the DT 48/480, tinkering with it yielded interesting results, you can alter the sound dramatically. It’s literally a screw-on magnet and if you wanted to, you can replace the magnet itself with a stronger magnet.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,754 of 4,884
You can adjust the magnet distance of the DT 48/480, tinkering with it yielded interesting results, you can alter the sound dramatically. It’s literally a screw-on magnet and if you wanted to, you can replace the magnet itself with a stronger magnet.
Hey I notice you have an R70X in your collection. Any thoughts on how it compares to NDH30/HD600/HD660S? I've been wanting to hear one of these for a while, even though I realize it's probably redundant in my collection (?) Do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back