Neumann NDH 30
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #451 of 5,005
Had anyone listened to these and the LCD2 Classics and have any comparison?

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #452 of 5,005
@CT007 you have posted a very good and detailed comparison between Neumann NDH 30, Meze 109 Pro and Morehouse Argon T60RP, concluding much in favor of the NDH 30:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meze-audio-109-pro.963482/page-103#post-17375571
Thank you for this! Maybe it should appear here too for those who search info and impressions on the NDH 30.

However, there are one or two things that really puzzle me and maybe prove that we don't all hear the same way a given headphone.
You report some moments of congestion but I must say that one of my first wow-factors when I first listened to the NDH 30 - and still a very strong point three months later - is its impressive lack of congestion and its ability to reproduce difficult multi-instrument passages very effortlessly and naturally - even at dangerously high volume (tried only for some seconds at a time). A very obvious lack of distortion, congestion and compression is a constant impression of mine when the going gets tough. All instruments retain their presence, identity and position to the extend that the human hearing and any of its masking effects allow. Thus if some hardness/congestion occurs somewhere unexpectedly, I know it is really in the recording.

Also among highly praising comments you write naturally about some concerns too: "Most obvious areas of concern are the lack of detail/resolution(not a huge issue, IMO), and lack of treble effortlessness". Well, here we are almost poles apart! I mean this headphone is all about detail/resolution (along all spectrum) and treble effortlessness! I must state that I am not referring to the "detail" that is an obvious product of some treble emphasis in many headphones, there is not such kind of detail in the NDH 30 (as I hear it). But given the fact that this headphone achieves a level of detail almost unheard for a headphone that doesn't make use of treble emphasis, I am surprised to read about this particular concern.

I practically agree with your other comments which are most important and I wouldn't comment on the two above if I didn't happen to see it (hear it) so differently.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #453 of 5,005
The 'vague'/non-particular/diffuse(opposite of a spike) fatigue I hear in that lower treble area(roughly) I can only assume is happening because the tiny drivers can't clearly render everything at higher volume(not crazy loud, but enough to feel the music). I can definitely test this more, to see if the fatigue simply occurs at a certain freq range with 1 instrument/sound, or if multiple sounds are needed to cause it.

About detail and breathability(how effortlessly=low fatigue), my general feelings/impressions are that dynamic drivers can't match the clean detail levels and speed of orthos or estats, and that NDH 30 is notably worse than others(HD600/660, K702/712, DT700/1990, etc), leading to more vague background contrast/"blackness" and poor ability to render fine air. Why does it sound that way, exactly? I'm not sure! I can definitely test this more, to see if my findings change. But comparing NDH 30 to Meze 109, there is a huge difference in apparent detail, clarity, and background contrast, for sure. The 109 also sounds like it has a compressed, unnatural/artificial spatial presentation, if that affects any of this.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #454 of 5,005
The 'vague'/non-particular/diffuse(opposite of a spike) fatigue I hear in that lower treble area(roughly) I can only assume is happening because the tiny drivers can't clearly render everything at higher volume(not crazy loud, but enough to feel the music). I can definitely test this more, to see if the fatigue simply occurs at a certain freq range with 1 instrument/sound, or if multiple sounds are needed to cause it.

About detail and breathability(how effortlessly=low fatigue), my general feelings/impressions are that dynamic drivers can't match the clean detail levels and speed of orthos or estats, and that NDH 30 is notably worse than others(HD600/660, K702/712, DT700/1990, etc), leading to more vague background contrast/"blackness" and poor ability to render fine air. Why does it sound that way, exactly? I'm not sure! I can definitely test this more, to see if my findings change. But comparing NDH 30 to Meze 109, there is a huge difference in apparent detail, clarity, and background contrast, for sure. The 109 also sounds like it has a compressed, unnatural/artificial spatial presentation, if that affects any of this.
I am sorry if I am asking something silly: How did you wear the NDH 30 on your head, with the cable on your left or on your right ear? There have been some cases where people reviewing this headphone wore it with the cable on the left, as is correct for almost any other headphone with single-sided cable. For the NDH 30 the cable on the right side is the correct. It makes a very big difference because the drivers are off-center and angled! If you wear it the other way round, almost all the high treble and airiness is lost, along with some lower treble! (The L-R letters are not marked very obviously on this headphone).
(I have posted measurements and comments for this effect in post #229). The red curve is for the correct way, the green for the wrong one:

11908432.jpg

Also, because of the special driver positioning and because of relatively big earpads you should be a little careful to position the headphone correctly (ears must feel free and centered in the pads). Bring the headphone closer to your face than normal and some highs are lost too.) Measurements and comments also in post #229:

11908390.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #455 of 5,005
Not sure about "as is correct", but that's the common way it has been done, at least : D (Or one cable to each side, like LCD-X) I definitely noticed! 1 side is better than both sides, is my opinion on that. : ) I actually LIKE the stock cable, too. Sure, it's a bit lengthy, but so are all of Audio-Technica's (non-removable!) cables, which have a gross, rubbery texture, and curl up like crazy - which NDH 30's cable does not do, with its nice, dense paracord-like texture(and cool, orange connector accents). :thumbsup: I also don't care about SE or balanced, so everything is fine here for me. Oh, the one odd issue is that it's an unclear process to connect & secure the jack into the headphone; it has the same feeling to twist the jack left or right, when it could still be loose.

Cool, I didn't know this has angled drivers. :thumbsup:

We could listen to some of the same music/tracks/material, and see how our opinions match/differ? I'm a 100% offline type of guy, so nothing funny from these streaming services ;p

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #456 of 5,005
I would love some thicker earpads for these cans. Just to get my ears a little farther away from the drivers. Not a lot but maybe like 3-4mm. I just sent a request to Neumann to ask about thicker compatible pads - turns out their customer service is handled by Sennheiser - I guess Sonova owned Neumann before they took over Senn?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #457 of 5,005
PXL_20230201_045136703.jpg

Angled + oval:
PXL_20230201_045831658.jpg

I can do angled + circular, too.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #458 of 5,005
I would love some thicker earpads for these cans. Just to get my ears a little farther away from the drivers. Not a lot but maybe like 3-4mm. I just sent a request to Neumann to ask about thicker compatible pads - turns out their customer service is handled by Sennheiser - I guess Sonova owned Neumann before they took over Senn?
Neumann became part of the Sennheiser group in 1991.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #459 of 5,005
Feb 1, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #460 of 5,005
nice. the brand and models would be even better information.
What, for free..? ._. Some of my random HE6seV2 pads. 110mm pads, I think? 100mm would prob work, too. T60RP pads don't fit, because the lip is too extended.
photo_2023-02-01_00-33-02.jpg

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #461 of 5,005
Not sure about "as is correct", but that's the common way it has been done, at least : D (Or one cable to each side, like LCD-X) I definitely noticed! 1 side is better than both sides, is my opinion on that. : ) I actually LIKE the stock cable, too. Sure, it's a bit lengthy, but so are all of Audio-Technica's (non-removable!) cables, which have a gross, rubbery texture, and curl up like crazy - which NDH 30's cable does not do, with its nice, dense paracord-like texture(and cool, orange connector accents). :thumbsup: I also don't care about SE or balanced, so everything is fine here for me. Oh, the one odd issue is that it's an unclear process to connect & secure the jack into the headphone; it has the same feeling to twist the jack left or right, when it could still be loose.

Cool, I didn't know this has angled drivers. :thumbsup:

We could listen to some of the same music/tracks/material, and see how our opinions match/differ? I'm a 100% offline type of guy, so nothing funny from these streaming services ;p
(I wrote "as is correct" for other headphones referring to their maker's L - R designation.)

Ι too like the quality of the NDH 30 cable though this fabric covering was new to me (for headphones). I think it is going to last very long. I also find that securing the cable in the cap is very positive with a clockwise turn/lock, after it is inserted to the deepest possible position. You get to the deepest point using a little left/right "play" and then it is definitely a clockwise locking turn with a positive "click". But generally I prefer one cable at each side connection.
I am not sure if I understood eventually how you wore the headphones during listenings. Was it with the cable at your right ear? If not, you must really rediscover them!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #462 of 5,005
Was it with the cable at your right ear?
Yep.

My M40x/M50x cable does NOT fit NDH 30. I might be able to compare these to HE6seV2 tomorrow before work.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #463 of 5,005
@CT007 I had some issues with the first NDH 30’s I had. What you describe could possibly be the result of a slight - barely noticeable, channel imbalance. That was the problem with mine. Where did you buy them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back