Neumann NDH 30
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #4,699 of 4,920
@ThEvil0nE, yep, it’s a neutral reference, or at least that’s what it is trying to be. The audiophile community has been looking for something other than that since the HD600/650. To me the NDH 30 is a perfected HD600/650. I think most people are looking for way more than that these days (for better or worse…..).
Faithful to music comes to mind.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #4,700 of 4,920
For me there are better alternatives....I sold my NDH30, too veiled and unnatural....unlive sound signature.
Bass great, soudstage great. As someone mentioned...it's for music engineers and professional people not to enjoy music

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #4,701 of 4,920
For me there are better alternatives....I sold my NDH30, too veiled and unnatural....unlive sound signature.
Bass great, soudstage great. As someone mentioned...it's for music engineers and professional people not to enjoy music
Or in my case (as a professional musician who likes music to sound realistic) to enjoy music! 😉

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #4,702 of 4,920
So you like Grado and klipsch then?

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #4,706 of 4,920
Never herd a Grado or Klipsch, still looking for my endgame...Bass from Focal, mids from sennheiser and treble from AT, soundstage and stereo image from NDH30
Got it. Makes sense how you can find ndh30 treble a bit dull and flat. ATH does not fit my taste for music. I use them for gaming because of their treble performance. You will like Klipsch.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #4,707 of 4,920
I'd love to get one in for review at some point. I think my brief impressions at Munich High End weren't sufficient to have a proper conclusion on it. So yeah it's fairly high up on my radar for things to test.
Hey @Resolve, you are right, it's been more than a year since your above expressed interest to test the NDH 30. I wouldn't imagine that a headphone like the NDH 30 could escape a reviewer's sensitive radar for long but it's true that we all postpone to deal with more significant things (than headphones) for even longer sometimes. I am clearly among the suspicious about organised reviews and reviewers but I still read them occasionally, ecpecially when they write about special products. I acknowledge that it is a tough job to balance between sellers and buyers but then most jobs are tough. After reading hifi reviews for more than 35 years I feel it is hard to change my view about the market of reviews or (lately) to get upset about a seemingly inaccurate review. I can't help it, however, to be satisfied when I read one that I agree with by personal experience.

About the NDH 30, I think it will remain in the history of headphones as one of the very few that covered almost all the distance from the HD600/650 up to the best dynamic headphones, without asking for those silly 4-digit prices. Its high musicality and enjoyment factor is not based on selective FR exaggeration but on naturallnes, neutrality, and impressive resolution for a non treble-hot headphone. I think you'll appreciate it if you manage to dedicate some time to it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #4,708 of 4,920
Ahh yes, the grand conspiracy to suppress information about a headphone because it's SO much better than everything else that telling the truth about it would render us jobless/homeless...
The problem with many threads is confirmation bias, with the Neumann thread those who like the NDH30 were at a loss as to why some would not and looked for a possible cause, defective unit, headphones placed wrong way round etc etc.

Now as to the NDH-30, when I heard it, it wasn't particularly memorable.
Those were my 1st impressions on 2 auditions and sadly remained so after purchasing.
But that doesn't mean it's not good
We may never know for sure how much research actually went into the Neumann series, adopting the HD630 chassis and a revamped 500 series driver....I would call them a safe listen and do exactly what Neumann intended, an alternative to their studio monitors. But...for "my preferences"and for enjoying music....IMHO the dynamics have been truncated (probably to accommodate an acceptable smooth performance from the driver) and lack bite, otherwise they are fine, just not great.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #4,709 of 4,920
@Resolve What’s your reference review system, music preference and top 3 headphones under $6k? Did you listen to NDH30 on your own system?

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #4,710 of 4,920
The problem with many threads is confirmation bias, with the Neumann thread those who like the NDH30 were at a loss as to why some would not and looked for a possible cause, defective unit, headphones placed wrong way round etc etc.

You forgot to mention unrealistic expectations based on enthusiastic reviews from people with different tastes, ears, and unit samples…,…

Edit; OK, you said etc etc…. But I think in your case it was mostly the above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Nkam
Back