Neumann NDH 30
Jul 16, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #31 of 4,878
Was contemplating on sending them back due to fit issues, but that's improved quite a bit to. Glad I held on to them.
I'm glad the comfort improved I'm at the point where TMJ makes me prioritize comfort as much as sound quality or neutrality. I need to mod all of my NDH20s with a better headband, but I was hoping they might have a little less clamp force in the open back NDH30s.

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #32 of 4,878
I'm glad the comfort improved I'm at the point where TMJ makes me prioritize comfort as much as sound quality or neutrality. I need to mod all of my NDH20s with a better headband, but I was hoping they might have a little less clamp force in the open back NDH30s.
For me, it's not so much the clamp force, but the giant and shallow pads that are uncomfortable for me. From what I understand the pads on NDH30s are bigger than NDH 20 pads.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #34 of 4,878
was thinking of saving for a pair of these as an upgrade to my current setup. what sort of headphone amp would I need to drive them? I have an ifi zen can at the moment, would that be a good appropriate headphone amp for them?

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #35 of 4,878
was thinking of saving for a pair of these as an upgrade to my current setup. what sort of headphone amp would I need to drive them? I have an ifi zen can at the moment, would that be a good appropriate headphone amp for them?
Hey, you don't need a special amp for this headphone, they are decently easy to drive:)

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 4,878
What's the fit/clamp like on these? They're meant to be studio so do they fit nice and snug? Can you look all the way down (nose pointed towards the floor) without them sliding forwards, and look all the way (nose pointed towards the ceiling) without them sliding backwards?

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #37 of 4,878
Not that I can find yet, but the jack and connector it shares with the NDH20 and select Sennheiser HD500 series both support balanced wiring. The video from Custom Cans (he multimeters the PCB timestamped here to show it is L+, L-, R+, R- so it won't work with 2.5mm "standard" A&K pinout) that I linked in the first post discusses how they could be run balanced.

UPDATE: still no, but . . . Neumann now sells two cloth covered cables with balanced 4-pole 2.5mm termination. As the NDH 20 and 30 is wired internally for balanced, you would just need to be able to run it on a balanced source with a balanced plug.
  • [NEW 4-pole] NDH Cloth Cov. Symmetric Cable (1.2 m) terminates in 6.3mm & 3.5mm but you could have the amp end of the cable re-terminated assuming there are enough conductors in the cable.
  • [NEW 4-pole] NDH Cloth Cov. Symmetric Cable (3 m) also terminates in 6.3mm & 3.5mm so source-end could be re-terminated to balanced
  • [OLD 3-pole] NDH Straight Cable short 3-pole, unbalanced so both ends would need to be re-terminated to balanced
  • [OLD 3-pole] NDH Coiled Cable long coiled 3-pole, unbalanced so both ends would need to be re-terminated to balanced
Hi to all,

I want your help, i bought the NDH30 and i have order the new 4-pole 1.2m cable, in order to achieve the balanced connection to my ifi gryphon and have more power i need to buy a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter? I can do the same with the NDH20?

Many thanks for your help

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #38 of 4,878
You'll probably get more power out of the balanced output simply because most amps have a more powerful balanced output than single-ended. You won't be running truly balanced, but you'll get more power overhead with which to drive them. It could still help to run off of the balanced output, but to be truly balanced, you'll need to get a cable that terminates in a balanced connector (4.4mm pentacon, 4-pin XLR, etc.) which will probably need to be custom - I believe you can use any cable for the Sennheiser HD560, HD6, HD7, or HD8 DJ MIX, just be aware that the headphone end needs to be quite slim and long to fit the NDH30/20.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 4,878
Hello.
I guess that main problem is to find 4 pole 2,5mm jack. It`s hard to believe that manufacturer like Neumann would use custom parts for such common element as jack.
So these jacks must be somewhere to buy.
Everything will be easy, I mean soldering jacks with wires.
If Neumanns cable has 4 wires it`s perfect, but replacement costs 77euro for 1,2m. It`s too much for me too experiment with it.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #41 of 4,878
Hello.
I guess that main problem is to find 4 pole 2,5mm jack. It`s hard to believe that manufacturer like Neumann would use custom parts for such common element as jack.
So these jacks must be somewhere to buy.
Everything will be easy, I mean soldering jacks with wires.
If Neumanns cable has 4 wires it`s perfect, but replacement costs 77euro for 1,2m. It`s too much for me too experiment with it.
I don't know if this got posted here already, but maybe this page can help you out somehow?

https://fogcityaudio.com/products/n...headphone-cable-mogami?variant=41740274860228

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #45 of 4,878
So it seems this isn't a very popular headphone? From the description and pricing I thought a Sennheiser made "reference" studio monitor sound for much less money than an HD800s would be flying off the shelves??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back