Neumann NDH 30
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #3,001 of 4,999
Hello I'm fairly new here. I recently got a pair of the Neumann ndh30's and definitely enjoy them. Everything sounds good in them. I have a RME ADI 2 DAC, and use the line out to drive a Magni AMP that just makes details sing out of them. I also occasionally use my Focusrite scarlett 2i2 with them, less detailed slightly but somewhat more musical than the RME. It's a nice perspective difference. The only thing is, the NDH30's have a slight difference in FR between the Left and Right speaker. After a few weeks it was more apparent the left side had just a few DBs more of subs, and just a hair (Less than a Decibel) louder overall. Luckily the RME has a wonderful EQ section with Independent EQs per side, so matching them was fairly easy. However, I thought maybe this was a faulty pair, so I recieved a replacement. Well... The replacement pair is much quieter than the first pair. Like 4 or 5 DBs. Also it has more Details, almost too much, but lacks the wide stereo feild the first pair has. The first pair has a clear distinction between all sub notes, easy to hear variations and all bass notes just come forward right at you. its a tad more punchy. Its much more musical. Where as the Replacement pair has treble detail in your face, and while the subs are there, they must be listened for. More analytical. I think maybe it's the first pairs wide stereo field that's masking the detail, that replacement pair provides. Both pairs have had breaking in time. I'm honestly conflicted of which one is the correct sound, or honestly which one I prefer. The first pair is unmatched for bass heavy listening, kinda like a microscope on the lows. The second pair is more easy to pick out hihats, clicks, crashes, etc. I'm an Audio Engineer first so accuracy is what I would prefer. Any thoughts on this?
Whichever would closely match or deviate less with your studio monitor speakers as the NDH 30 is modeled to replicate that of Neumann’s monitor sound. I have the Adam A4V monitor and I can easily switch between that and the NDH 30, volume matched they’re close to identical.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,002 of 4,999
Yes I wear them correctly. Also granted the differences between the pairs of NDH30's I have are subtle, the differences are there. Also, I believe that BOTH pairs are easily worth $650. They both sound incredible. I think the more musical aspect of the 2i2, yes comes from it being darker, as it doesn't highlight alot of details, it makes it easier for me being able to set compressor levels when mixing just a hair more accurate. The RME has details for days, but so much that when setting compressor levels it can be tricky, because it usually always sounds good. My brain tends to focus on the grainy detailed quality, rather than the generic movement of the sounds I'm working with.
Sounds like normal sample variation to me. Channel imbalance is a fault. Try a third pair. I tried four and kept the best two. I’ve done exactly the same with other headphones (840, 1540, 660S for example) All different. No such thing as identical sets of headphones in my experience.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3,006 of 4,999
That is encouraging.....but not what follows. : (

Starting to have some reservations....hhhhhmmm???? :triportsad:

For a professional company like Neumann such reports, and there have been a few, is bothersome. : (
It is very easy to cause chanel imbalance on purpose with the NDH 30, or different responses between channels. The pads are roomy and all it takes is putting them carelessly on the head, one cup slightly forward and on slightly backwards. The inclined and off centered drivers will then cause this effect. However very soon one learns automatically to center the ears in the pads and all is fine and accurately balanced. If a problem persists, then it is a faulty unit.

When a set is designed for high stereo accuracy and precise stereo positioning in studio production, it is very hard to believe that a simple, inexpensive measurment is not done at the factory prior to shipping. My pair is not only chanel balanced and frequency balanced between chanels, it is precisely so. Also Neumann is serious with warranty, I don't think they will accept leaving a customer with a pair sounding out of specifications.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #3,007 of 4,999
Sounds like normal sample variation to me. Channel imbalance is a fault. Try a third pair. I tried four and kept the best two.
Mike, that is scary!....mind you the housing for the driver and wiring is all rather sub par with a bit of foam for damping thrown in for good measure, nothing to write home about, so that could explain some....but still??? : (
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-2#post-17004201
NDH30 entry point.jpgNDH30 inside cup.jpg

And my original HD630VB shown, like NDH20s fair no better, but the drivers are sealed on both so unaffected by the cup.
HD630VB cup.JPG

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,009 of 4,999
Mike, that is scary!....mind you the housing for the driver and wiring is all rather sub par with a bit of foam for damping thrown in for good measure, nothing to write home about, so that could explain some....but still??? : (
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-2#post-17004201
NDH30 entry point.jpgNDH30 inside cup.jpg

And my original HD630VB shown, like NDH20s fair no better, but the drivers are sealed on both so unaffected by the cup.
HD630VB cup.JPG
Could very well be one of the main factors of variations as even in positioning when worn will change the sound (dramatically)

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,012 of 4,999
But one would like to believe that with a company like Neumann, consistency would be paramount, I could be mistaken.
There is a reference FR and there are acceptable tolerance/deviation from the reference. Same as the 800 deal.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,014 of 4,999
With how they are with their mics and monitors, yes I agree. Which will also lead us to the price jump on the black version. It better be consistent or it’s unforgivable.
Don't think black will be any more consistent - unit to unit variation cannot be avoided (dynamic cans are already significantly better than planar in terms of unit to unit consistency; and don't get me started on using wood to "augment/enhance" sound). I had 2 copies of 800S and they sounded slightly different from each other with different FR, but both FR curves followed the reference FR printed in the user manual.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3,015 of 4,999
Don't think black will be any more consistent - unit to unit variation cannot be avoided (dynamic cans are already significantly better than planar in terms of unit to unit consistency; and don't get me started on using wood to "augment/enhance" sound). I had 2 copies of 800S and they sounded slightly different from each other with different FR, but both FR curves followed the reference FR printed in the user manual.
Within tolerance of the specs is fine but not when it sounds broken. Maybe it’s just how things are magnified 10-100x in forums such as this 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back